The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

bent pushrods on initial run in?

Alright a few weeks ago i posted a question asking what would be the length of pushrod i needed for a 1990 block with earlier heads. the heads are #882 which are the better 'bad' heads from the late 70's. Very professionally done, all new valves & such. There should be no isssue here at all. this was NOT a roller motor so the stock 7.800 pushrods are the right ones? I ordered up a set of no-name hardened pushrods because these heads do have Z28 springs,guide plates and screw in studs now. Anyway i know what I'm doing when it comes to adjusting hydraulic lifters. i do one cyl at a time. done it my way 50 times before and never an issue. never have to re-adjust either. I had the intake off when I did them and verified my work. So anyway, I'm almost always there when something i built gets fired up. I wasn't there for the first 5 minutes. They said they had it at a high idle, like i told them to do, and that it ran fine, but yet they were installing a new carb when I got there because they said it blew back up thru the carb(eddy 600). I found the timing to be very retarded and when I fired it up it was 'ticking' exhaust back thru the carb. i knew that was valve adjustment type issue. when i pulled the left valve cover- ALL the exhaust pushrods were bent bad. The intakes were fine and the whole other side of engine is fine. They said when they shut it down it 'popped'. I measured these new pushrods and they are 7.800. My question is could the timing being that retarded cause these cheap (hardened) pushrods to bend. thanx, crossy

1990 350 TBI block
1978 350 #882 heads
cam is hyd and only .460 lift
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
78maliburat

Re: bent pushrods on initial run in?

Ive seen the pushrods bend in motors when it kicks back do to timing issues......but a hydralic cam is more forgiving than a solid lifter motor..set at zero lash than 1/4 of a turn
78maliburat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Corts60
Just here to tinker

It's weird that only one bank bent. Did you check piston to valve clearances?
Posted via Mobile Device
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Keith Seymore

Maybe.

I had a similar experience. New build, full roller (solid lifter).

Break in went fine, drove the car around the block a couple times, but first hard acceleration - everything went all to heck.

Limped it home and had bent nearly every pushrod (like 6 intakes and 7 exhausts). Bent them into an "S" shape. The amount of collapse just happened to be the same amount as the lift on the cam.

Not to name names but these were Comp Cam pushrods. I hit them with a file and they sure seemed soft to me.

I knew the Chief Engineer at Comp Cams at the time so I sent them back and we had a little conversation. He never admitted guilt but they did sent me a new set of pushrods - which worked fine.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
It's weird that only one bank bent. Did you check piston to valve clearances?
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL- nah, with stock, uncut block, heads were only trued and only a .460 lift cam that's not a big deal.

I'm going to through some factory pushrods back in until i know it's not going to try that again. The hardening is only needed because of the guide plates .

yeah, it bent em like an S. Also i doubt these Hyd lifters are very forgiving as the engine was holding 80 psi at idle.
thanx, crossy
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote