The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
mygirlz55

Camaro rear leafs

I have been trying to search this subject but cant find info on using the rear leaf's from the donor camaro that my front clip came out of. If I am going to use the rearend out of the 77 camaro, it seems that I would be able to use the leaf's also. My stock springs front and back had leaf's removed so they're out of the question. Don't think it would be right to try to combine them to make a set for the rear.
Anyone gone through this process, or are new leaf's going to be needed?
mygirlz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Camaro rear leafs

I used Nova leafs on mine which are pretty close to the same. I don't have any photos but I welded the front spring perches from the Nova to the truck frame (it's really ugly) and cut the piece out of the rear of the Nova that held the upper bushing that the shackle fitted in and welded it into the frame rail after trimming it. Again that is kind of ugly too as I put the truck back together in about three weeks so I could attend the 1989 Kustom Kemps Mountain High Nationals in Centralia Wa. The intent was to tear the truck back down in the middle of October and redo it completely but I totaled the 70 C-10 that was my daily and the 48 once more became my daily driver.

The springs ride/rode good under the 48. If you do it I'd suggest spending some time and creating some presentable spring perches for the front and put a bit of thought into how you mount the rear bushings in the frame. My truck drove great and I put over 100,000 miles on it with that setup including a number of serious road trips including going to Bonneville and Plesanton on one triangular road trip in 1998. It can be done, just do a nicer job of it than I did.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
mygirlz55

So I guess it will probably be better to put stock leafs and do a flip on the axle.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
klutz51

I used the stock springs and bought a spring perch kit from cpp and i used a 78 trans am rear end. It fit perfect with no mods.
klutz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
mygirlz55

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz51 View Post
I used the stock springs and bought a spring perch kit from cpp and i used a 78 trans am rear end. It fit perfect with no mods.
Did you use the stock lower shock mount?
The previous owner removed leafs from the spring pack so I need to get more to be able to use stock leafs.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
klutz51

the kit comes with new upper and lower shock mounts and everything you need for like$140. easy set up and i removed 1 leaf spring and also used 3 in lowering blocks
klutz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
mygirlz55

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz51 View Post
the kit comes with new upper and lower shock mounts and everything you need for like$140. easy set up and i removed 1 leaf spring and also used 3 in lowering blocks
How many leafs total do you have? I currently have 4.
The kit I saw changed the upper shock mounting location. Any pictures of your setup?
Thanks