The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
thump16

Big back window conversion part 1

Most people dont wanna cut open their cab to see how it works but thanks to the over inflated egos and pices of these trucks, surgery is the only way i am gonna get a big back window cab. So here is the beginning stages of the tear down and what needs to be done to complete the conversion.
1. Brace your cab
2. grind away all the paint on inner rear cab pillars, outer cab skin inside door pillar, back lower portion of cab where inside cab floor bracing meets cab wall and there are spot welds connecting inner cab corners to outer cab corners which you will be able to see from underneath.
3. once paint is removed, I used a spot weld drill bit to remove outer cab shell. Also drill out spot welds holding inner and outer sections of rear window.
4. you should now be able to remove outer skin leaving inner wall.
5. My cab corners were toast due to tremendous amounts of fiberglass and bondo. Warning, drilling spot welds requires patience and a stable mind. lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by thump16; 11-13-2012 at 09:12 PM.
thump16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
thump16

Re: Big back window conversion part 1

As you can see the damage to my cab corners. I wasnt able to drill out the final welds as my corners rusted out so the pieces just came apart. next step is to drill out welds holding inner cab wall.

1. take your time drilling inner roof welds taking caution not to drill through the inner roof welds and remember the inner pillar welds are more in number than you might think, some are in a stair step pattern.

2. I didnt drill all spot welds between inner and outer window cuz i was lazy. instead i drilled a few, enough to create gaps between the two surfaces and then i simply popped them with screwdriver since i have no intentions of using them again except for scrap metal patches in future.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
thump16

you can see how thin the roof metal is but take your time.

1. There is also a small tab on the corner of each side post holding the lower corners of the inner window onto the cab that must be removed also.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
thump16

Ladies and gentlemen, we now have room to start the conversion.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
thump16

Now its time to look at the new inner and outer portions of the BBW panels.

1. I got these parts from a warehouse in AZ called Classicdiscounttruckparts.com

2. The outter skin $401.95, the inner wall plus two internal bracing posts $200.95. Shipping $165 truck freight to my door.

3. The stampings on these parts are of very good quality.

4. The inner wall corners come with the door latch striker mounting brackets already attached. These will need to be cut out as i am not cutting out the original striker plates. Leave the outer curved wings attached (do not cut)

5. I have attached a photo of what the bracing should look like from rear of cab with only inner wall installed. Take note of the tack welds holding the bracing on upper corners of inner back window panel and the plate portion covering the door latch striker plates. you may have to save picture and then enlarge to see the tack welds.

6. This is as far as i have gotten. I need to find out if i have to trim the front facing sheet metal that goes directly behind outter pillar or if its supposed to be there.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Denee007

Goodness, you've graduated to the "incredible people" status, those that perform incredible feats of engineering; ). Looking great !!
Posted via Mobile Device
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
thump16

the last picture from post above show the curved braces and the panel that covers rear of striker panel. I have not confirmed yet but looking at earlier threads from other members, it appears that you have to tack the lower inner rear window assembly to the rear outer skin to strengthen the whole structure. Members who have did this mod please chime in because it will be thanksgiving weekend before i finish this up. Thanks and i hope this helps you guys. I am not an expert by any means, i just hate having to pay people for stuff I can do. I havent event gotten to the front panel replacements to include steps. just gotta have that big window.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Highsider

Oh my.
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Ok someone's gotta say it, I'll be the A-hole. You've got AT LEAST $768.00 in that cab (not even mentioning the labor and welding supplies that will be involved) AND the inner steps you mention will be needed.

Wouldn't it have been cheaper (not to mention a helluva lot faster) to have searched for a big window cab that only needed the typical cab corners?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Ok someone's gotta say it, I'll be the A-hole. You've got AT LEAST $768.00 in that cab (not even mentioning the labor and welding supplies that will be involved) AND the inner steps you mention will be needed.

Wouldn't it have been cheaper (not to mention a helluva lot faster) to have searched for a big window cab that only needed the typical cab corners?
But that would not be as fun.lol
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #11
Kim57

That is one heck of a lot of work.
I'm sure lots on here will appreciate the documentation.
Kim
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #12
thump16

We dont have those options of big cab hunting on east coast. Plus this truck has sentimental value & is rare auto truck. I have seen worse cabs rebuilt on this site. I am a 20 yr Air force mechanic, diesel,gas turbine engines, hydraulics etc. My cab build is not what i would call hard work on any given day. I made this thread for guys like me who dont want a bunch of trucks littering drive way. Just one that me and my baby daughter are going to cruise in. As far as welding supplies, my buddies are hot rod builders & we all barter & trade, help each other out. No cash involved & i forgot to mention, i have all the patch panels. Been planning this since earlier this yr. Have a good night.

Last edited by thump16; 11-14-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #13
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump16 View Post
I made this thread for guys like me who don't want a bunch of trucks littering drive way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Board rule #156 says that you MUST have at least 1.5 trucks scattered around your yard or driveway and a truck part in every room of the house including the bathroom so you have something to ponder while your depondering.

Engines are allowed in the bedroom closet regardless of what the wife says if its an Aluminum BBC or a 427 FE, that's rule # 247.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #14
thump16

2 in my garage now. No more room. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #15
thump16

I am proud of me. This is my first old school build. Go team sledge!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #16
1project2many

You realize that when you're done it will be like sneaking into the country club through the back door, right?

Years ago when I lived in Massachusetts I picked up a deluxe cab Chevy truck with big window for $50. This was maybe in '84 or '85 and even then people commented on how hard it was to find one. I was a dumb kid back then and I traded that truck off for a '79 Caprice shortly after I got it. Nowadays it's rare to see any '55-'59 sitting around collecting rust in this area. Most of them have been dragged off for scrap metal prices. Finding one in rebuildable condition for reasonable money is likely to be only slightly harder than finding hen's teeth. I have mixed feelings about making the big window cab vs finding a "real" one but I can understand the desire and applaud the work that goes into it.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #17
thump16

I apologize if i offended anyone with more than one truck in their driveway.
The whole reason i did this was to show that if you want a big back window truck, its possible especially if you find a big window cab that is too far gone but you can save the rear window and back half. From what I have seen, alot of original BBW have major flaws in their build from factory allowing rust and imperfections to rot them away. I am taking steps to ensure my ride stays healthy and rust free.

"Dan in pasedena" Being an Ahole is your God given right but don't smear it in my thread. This is my dream truck and I am a home builder.

It's my money, my truck, my thread and my registration. I will continue posting this build as time permits and I hope there are more members that can benefit from my build thread.

Sledge
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #18
Gator Alum

Sledge, great progress! Can't wait to see it when it's all tacked up!! Keep at it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Gator Alum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #19
chev3600

Keep on posting up. This is good stuff. I can appreciate the determination and "damn right I can" attitude.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/AD%20trucks/jumbled mess of unorganized photos
chev3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #20
Russell Ashley

Thanks for documenting this conversion. I wanted a BBW truck but couldn't find one around here. I've been daydreaming about converting my truck using the full back panels like you are doing so I really appreciate this thread. I'll be reading and re-reading it.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #21
thump16

the only time consuming part is gonna be rewelding the panels together. Its pretty straight forward though. i had the chance to buy a complete big window cab and complete small window truck for a good price but I let it get away. I promised the guy i brought it from that i would take care of this truck and he is going to be in for a big surprise when he sees it again.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #22
Denee007

I think your doing great, besides, and accomplishing one heck of a task that others can appreciate from your historical documents! these trucks and all early model cars are money holes; ). Even if if cost a couple grand, so what! Before I bought my truck, I didn't even know about large back windows!! Keep up the fantastic work!; )
Posted via Mobile Device
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #23
thump16

here is my inspirational truck. Kareems truck from Adams chop shop in Fla.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #24
Russell Ashley

"Wouldn't it have been cheaper (not to mention a helluva lot faster) to have searched for a big window cab that only needed the typical cab corners?"

Dan, around here a BBW cab that only needs cab corners will be attached to the rest of the truck and the price will be $20K or more.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #25
_Ogre

nice work sledge
post more pics as you make progress

@ dan in passadena: here in the rust belt all we have is rust
my truk came out of arkansas and still needed 4 cab corners, steps, floors and hinge pocket repairs
you guys in the arid parts of the country have it made with all the old tin you have available

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote