The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
bekeman

Need help with clutch linkage

Hello all,

I am new to the forums and am currently trying to finish my build on a 1972 c10 that I added a big block chevy and m21 transmission to. My problem is with the clutch linkage. The truck was originally an automatic so I already put in the clutch pedal from a donor and also have the transmission, bellhousing and clutch fork installed. My issue deals with where to put the rod from the pedal to the crossbar that goes from the frame to the side of the engine. I tried putting it through the hole in the firewall and it hits the headers. Some of the older trucks I saw in the local junkyards had the rod going straight down thriough the floor, which seems like it could work. If I was using a small block, I honestly think I would be able to use the hole in the firewall but the bigger motor takes up too much room. Any ideas? I am totally lost! Any pictures or ideas are very welcome. Thank you

1972 C10 LWB Fleetside 408 BBC/4 Speed
1971 Monte Carlo SS 454/ 4 Speed
1970 Chevelle SS 396/ 4 Speed
bekeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Need help with clutch linkage

Welcome to the board.
Your problem does crop up from time to time. There are lots of questions so this the start.

Is you truck an original V-8 truck?

What mounts & stands did you use and are they in the correct position?

Are you using the original style bell housing mounts & crossmember or a car style tailshaft mount setup?

What application exactly did the z-bar, frame bracket and block pivot/bracket come from?

There are several links I could send you to but lets start at the basics so nothing is overlooked. Just guessing I'm thinking the engine is too far back.

For a little reading and pictures this might help with the big picture.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545110
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
jborders

I had to modify my z bar. I moved the part that the rod from the pedal goes to over away from the manifolds a little and re welded it. I'm not sure if you can tell from the pics. Its a 5.3 though not a big block.
Attached Images

jborders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
bekeman

Thank you for the ideas. I used the original small block frame stands as the truck was an original 350. I am picking up a pair of big block 1972 frame stands this week which should make the engine sit better. I too think its too far back. I have the pivot ball stud in the side of the block and am using the frame bracket from a 1970 truck. I have the z bar from that truck as well as one from a 1966. I also have a spare z bar from a 70 Chevelle. I am thinking one of them should fit when engine is on correct mounts.

Thank you again for the ideas. It has my brain working again.
Posted via Mobile Device

1972 C10 LWB Fleetside 408 BBC/4 Speed
1971 Monte Carlo SS 454/ 4 Speed
1970 Chevelle SS 396/ 4 Speed
bekeman is offline   Reply With Quote