The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
mookiex4

Question which engine, tranny and rear end will fit?

Hello all,

I have a 1965 GMC 1500 with the original 305 V6 and running gear. I want to put something newer in it as far as The Engine, Transmission and Rear End. I don't care about the crappy Granny gear I never use so normal Truck gear ratios are fine with me. I would prefer to get the 3 things I need and utilize the same drive-line:.

Can anyone help me by providing me with the information regarding what I am looking for?

Naturally because of the trucks age I don't have to worry about anything but a bare engine without all of the smog stuff and extra garbage.

Thanks for any help, experiences and knowledge to get me moving forward.

Regards,
Mark
mookiex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
el_diablo

Re: which engine, tranny and rear end will fit?

Anything will fit in it with a little elbow grease. Do you want a modern fuel injected engine/trans out of a newer truck or do you want a carbed engine? Driveshafts are cheap to have made in the correct length.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I did the 4.8/4l60e for reliability and fuel efficiency.
Also the way it is put in, I can get parts at any parts house in any town
Posted via Mobile Device

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
luvbowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiex4 View Post
Hello all,

I have a 1965 GMC 1500 with the original 305 V6 and running gear. I want to put something newer in it as far as The Engine, Transmission and Rear End. I don't care about the crappy Granny gear I never use so normal Truck gear ratios are fine with me. I would prefer to get the 3 things I need and utilize the same drive-line:.

Can anyone help me by providing me with the information regarding what I am looking for?

Naturally because of the trucks age I don't have to worry about anything but a bare engine without all of the smog stuff and extra garbage.

Thanks for any help, experiences and knowledge to get me moving forward.

Regards,
Mark
Mark, I think many posters on here will agree with what I'm gonna tell you. Try to find a donor vehicle with at least an engine and trans that are in good running shape. A running/driving vehicle's 'vitals' can be checked by an experienced mechanic merely by driving it--pay someone 100$ or so if you lack this expertise. This will enable you to determine how good the eng. runs & how good the trans shifts BEFORE you buy them (much less running the risk of trouble installing them and THEN finding out they have major problems & hafta come back out).

You may feel you are paying a bit too much for "just an eng & trans", but all the medium stuff that will dollar you to death after you have searched all over to find them: brackets & pulleys THAT FIT, eng mounts, trans crossmember-supports, power steering pump THAT FITS, correct distributor, correct carb(or fuel inj?), exhaust manifolds THAT FIT, linkages, pulleys, right water pump, alternator bolted on already, starter that fits/works good, ac-compressor fitted, possible disc rotors & calipers & m-cylinder & p-brake booster..... And not to mention all the bolts and nuts and wiring and relays and washers.

Heck, if you find a GM van, like a 85, 86, or 87 G20 or 10-series w/5-lug rallys(look great on 60's pickups) and a 700R4 overdrive trans and tilt steering column and rusty as the dickens and broken glass and ragged interior and still runs good--miles are not what wear out an engine as much as neglect & abuse, so don't run from one with elevated miles. Keep in mind you cannot use the ps-box like u could one from a pickup(vans turn backwards, but the tilt column works) and we've found some great running gears in vans.

If you hafta pay 15-2000 for a donor with all this stuff good & ready to swap in, bear in mind you'll end up using 2000-3000 $ worth from it! (We recently sold a 1988 C20 w/tbi & 5.7 & 700R4 & tilt and extra strong mechanics with NO ragged inter or rust or broke glass--for $1600! Was a cross 'tween a conversion and a work van with absolutely no demand for it!) And after you're done, load your leftovers & misc into van and sell it at scrapyard for 2-300$.

Good luck with your project. Have fun. And welcome to the forum.
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There are many many choices as for engine trans and rear end. Some of what will work best for you will depend on just what your skills are. Do you have mechanical experience? Electrical experience? Do you have the means to cut and weld?

luvbowties gave some good advise. It will be an advantage if you can find a donor vehicle that runs and drives. Plus you will be glad that you have a donor for all the little things that you didn't know you would need, until you need them.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote