The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Courtesy light installation problem

I just bought NOS door jamb switches and a NOS wiring harness to install in my 81 shortbed that did not come equipped with them. The door switches are installed, but I see no way to run the wiring to them in the door jamb. I thought the "kick panels" would have access holes behind them, but not so, only metal barriers. How do I get these wires in the proper place?
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Zebb

Re: Courtesy light installation problem

There is a hole in the pillar underneath the dash. It's kind of mean to reach and feed wires down but do-able.
Zebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Thanks Zebb. I found it thanks to your reply!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

The reason I could not initially find these wiring holes is because they were PLUGGED WITH METAL PLUGS as well as hidden deep inside the under-dash. Popped them out with a flathead and in went the wires! I guess option-less trucks like mine had these ridiculous things!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

OK, next issue. The NOS wiring harness is installed but I have no idea where to attach the orange wire harness plug to the fuse box. It fits in several places, but does not get any power. Also, there is a brass-color "folded blade" type wire attachment on the harness white wire that is even with the passenger-side of the truck. This "folded blade" thing is not on the end of the wire, it is about 25 inches from the bullet-plug for the passenger side courtesy light door switch. What is supposed to attach to this? BTW I have checked multiple wiring diagrams and they were NO help.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
48cj2a

One wire goes in the headlight switch connector...turn the deadlight dimmer to the end and then there is a distinct on off then the dome, under dash courtesy lamp turns on.
48 Willys CJ2A 48CJ2A
48cj2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

The wiring diagram shows an attachment to a light switch that is right BESIDE two door ajar switches. Would it be OK to forget the fuse box and run a hotwire using an inline fuse? I HATE dealing with fuse boxes. I have not even figured out how to attach this wire to my one dash courtesy light because no plug is visible anywhere. It is attached to the light switch already. I am beginning to wonder if I installed the wiring harness backwards. The large wire that attaches to a dome light (I think) is wired so that it is on the driver side. Hope that is right.

Last edited by HIGHWAY BY THE SEA; 11-18-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
48cj2a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWAY BY THE SEA View Post
The wiring diagram shows an attachment to a light switch that is right BESIDE two door ajar switches. Would it be OK to forget the fuse box and run a hotwire using an inline fuse? I HATE dealing with fuse boxes. I have not even figured out how to attach this wire to my one dash courtesy light because no plug is visible anywhere. It is attached to the light switch already. I am beginning to wonder if I installed the wiring harness backwards. The large wire that attaches to a dome light (I think) is wired so that it is on the driver side. Hope that is right.
That sounds correct. Can you post a pic of the loose wire and what color is the fuse box connector?
48 Willys CJ2A 48CJ2A
48cj2a is offline   Reply With Quote