The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
del

73-87 tilt steering swap

I hear about people doing this steering column swap. Anyone have more info and pictures, thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
dyrt

Re: 73-87 tilt steering swap

There is really not too much to say about this swap. Physically the dimensions were the same as far as length goes between the 86 truck column and my 69 3 speed manual column. It mounts up the same way with the following differences:

1) the wiring harness needs an adapter to go from the arc shaped connector to the later flat connector.
2)The shroud that meets the dashboard on the later column is larger in diameter and does not taper down like the original.
3)There is a key in the column which i actually prefer since it is another level of security, but it would have to be wired in if you wanted to use it.
4) most of the later columns if not all went from a splined shaft to a double-d if i recall. You will have to adapt the double d to the steering box with the correct intermediate shaft. I used one from a 87 camaro temporarily to steer the chassis around
5)It just doesn't look period correct. This isn't a big deal for me but it would be a shame to do all the work only to not like the way it looks.

Ideally you will want to find one that already has the features your want, that is, cruise switches, wiper controls, etc. Earlier ones that still had wipers on the dash are better suited for the most part. You can remove the key cylinder and fill the hole over and whatnot. I unfortunately don't have any useful pics since my cab is still blown apart for sheetmetal repairs so it is just temp bolted in. I don't know how much you searched but there are a few people that have posted pictures on this topic.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
dyrt

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=500301

Also, you will have to trim the gauge bezel most likely. all in all, a doable swap but it depends on how much work you want to do and how much you want to modify.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
del

anyone else do this. Have one laying around. Might as well use it.
del is offline   Reply With Quote