The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Firebirdjones

Thoughts from burb guru's

Oddly enough I see a pickup section that goes to 98 but not a burb section.

So I'll ask in here, and if there is a more appropriate section please feel free to move this.....

Looking at a 94 burb, 3/4 ton, 4x4, 454/4L80, hydroboost, front/rear air, everything works.

Thinking of a secondary beater vehicle and maybe something for my son to tool around town in. Been wanting a vehicle like this to tinker around and camp up in the mountains, use for some mild towing etc...

Not concerned with cosmetics, but would like opinions and experiences with these model year burbs. Likes/dislikes? Any insight appreciated. Thanks.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Ski-me

Re: Thoughts from burb guru's

With that engine, it's going to like gas.....I would suspect close to 10-11 mpg. I'm sure it would be fun to drive with the extra ponies though.

94' has the square looking dash whereas 95'+ has the more updated look. I also think around 95' the Vortec engine came out but that may just be with the 5.7L.....maybe 96'.

Other than that, it should be a real solid truck that will tow well. And, if you kids are driving it, they will be safer. Physics......the one who weighs the most wins!!

In 97' they came out with a passenger airbag as well.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Firebirdjones

Good info, thanks.

Are you or anyone aware of any quirks or issues with these model years? Did GM have an bulletins or warranty issues?

Just trying to get my head around some things that may or may not pop up in the future.

Really don't plan to use daily. Maybe haul the family once in a while when they are in town with the extra seating, camp in the mountains, but no serious off road stuff.

I know the engine/trans/rear diff, is a solid package. A little concerned with the IFS though. Not a fan of those whimpy looking CV joints Maybe I'm worried over nothing?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Ski-me

The IFS is going to ride better than a solid axle for sure. As long as it hasn't been lifted or huge tires, etc. you might be lucky but you may have to check into the front end components thoroughly. They are just not as strong as the solid axles.

With that said, I love my 3/4 ton suburban (2004). It rides much better than the K5 by a long shot. And I also have the 8.1L.....definitely NOT a gas sipper either.

Even though you are one generation back from mine, it's a big improvement over the 80's solid axle ride.

I'm not aware of anything too "special" or unique with problems in that year. Just check the important stuff....brakes, ball joints, driveline u-joints, etc.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
Firebirdjones

Excellent, thanks. It's completely stock.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

We had a 96 1500 years back and a few other models of that body style. They're "square plus" trucks to me, more refined but almost as easy to work on as squares. Especially the 95 and down TBI trucks. Lots of those trucks were sold to state/municipal/other govt into fleet service. They seem to hold up well and still fetch a little money at resale.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Firebirdjones

Thanks Bruiser, it's a solid truck throughout with no real issues that I see. A little up there on mileage (for my taste) but since it's going to be an "occasional" use vehicle I'm not too concerned with it.

Glad to hear some positives about these things, I figured someone would have a horror story
Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

On the small-block trucks, you'll get driveability issues that get misdiagnosed often when all that's happened is the fuel pump has gone weak. I'm not sure if the same pump is used on the big block trucks. Also, if the EGR vavle goes bad, replace it with one from the dealership. Some of the chain parts houses carry EGR vavles designed to fit multiple models but don't run well on any. My daughter had a 94 GMC ext cab 1500 350 4L60E truck that was all stock and ran like a top at 231,000 miles until it was stolen. I'm a fan of that era truck and had a couple more of them between me and wifey. They are pretty simple to work on and run forever. Post up some pics.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
Firebirdjones

Cool thanks. This one has 130,000 miles on it. Not bad but not what I usually run a car for. My father however has a 91 350 TBI 4x4 pickup he bought new and it now has 285,000 miles on it. Still runs great, surprisingly nothing has been rebuilt yet. So yours and my fathers are giving me some hope I guess