The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
billd5string

Power Door Locks on a '65

Has anyone put aftermarket power door locks on their truck? LMC sells a couple of generic kits, so I assume it's been done.

Where do the solenoids hook up? I'm concerned if I hook it to the door lever, to lock the door, then unlocking the truck will open both doors (or not work correctly at all).

I'm hoping someone else has already done this and has some insight on what they got to work.

Thanks!!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Power Door Locks on a '65

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd5string View Post
Has anyone put aftermarket power door locks on their truck? LMC sells a couple of generic kits, so I assume it's been done.

Where do the solenoids hook up? I'm concerned if I hook it to the door lever, to lock the door, then unlocking the truck will open both doors (or not work correctly at all).

I'm hoping someone else has already done this and has some insight on what they got to work.

Thanks!!
Without having done it, I WILL assure it CAN be installed where it will NOT unlock both doors IF that is what you want.
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
McCoyAZ

Re: Power Door Locks on a '65

I have seen tons of trucks that have converted to power locks and power windows.

Most use the after market conversion kits available from several truck parts places.

There is a place there in Vegas called TUCKERS I think across the road from Costco off the 215.
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
billd5string

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Without having done it, I WILL assure it CAN be installed where it will NOT unlock both doors IF that is what you want.
sam
Unlock both doors - that's appropriate. OPEN the doors, that's a problem. Since the activating solenoid would need to be hooked to the same lever that both locks and unlocks the doors, as well as opens it.

If the doors had a seperate lock from the handle to open the door, this wouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
billd5string

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoyAZ View Post
I have seen tons of trucks that have converted to power locks and power windows.

Most use the after market conversion kits available from several truck parts places.

There is a place there in Vegas called TUCKERS I think across the road from Costco off the 215.
I've bought quite a few parts from Tuckers. I've already got a universal style kit for a 4-door, with the other door solenoids hooked up to lock my tonneau cover - that part works perfect.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
65sublime

I believe there is an old article that shows the lock portion of the handle mechanism is defeated and the soleniod and key independently operate the lock/unlock. I will have to see if I can find it.
65sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
billd5string

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65sublime View Post
I believe there is an old article that shows the lock portion of the handle mechanism is defeated and the soleniod and key independently operate the lock/unlock. I will have to see if I can find it.
That would be awesome! That's exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
VH Coachworks

Quote:

Thanks!!
The solenoids hook up to your factory locking rod, yes both doors will unlock at the same time. Using your key lock in the door will also unlock both doors.
WE make door lock kits specifically for certain year trucks, NOT universal.
Our kits come pre wired, so no guessing where the wires go, you only have to hook up the positive and negative wires. Also no guessing when the solenoids mount, as they come with a special mounting plate.

We have kits for the 67 to 72, and will introduce a kit for the 73-87 within a week, our next kit will be for the 60 -66.
Check out this kit :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537720
If you have any questions just PM us your phone number and I will call you, and be able to answer any of your questions.
Thanks
VH Coachworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
Mack B

Quote:

Thanks!!
I get your concerns on this, while I haven't done this on a 60-66, I do have experience with the actuators, I don't think they will have the travel to fully open the door, or the power. They are a lot weaker than shaved handle kits used to unlatch the door. Hope that helped.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
tincan1966

Well, in my understanding, the only "lock" feature these trucks have is a lockout that disables the button from being depressed from the outside,orlocking from the inside by using the door handle.

It can be done with the stock hardware in place, by attaching the solenoid to the door handle lever. What would need to be done, in order to prevent the doors from being unlatched, is to install a type of limiter or stop to prevent the solenoid from pulling the lever far enough to unlatch the door. Most solenoids only have about an inch of usable travel, so with some patience and trial and error testing, it can be done.
I will work up a sketch of what I am trying to describe and post later.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote