The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Jsieger89

Turning over moter by hand

I'm bring my truck back to life after 4 years of parking! I've pulled spark plugs added mystery oil replaced spark plugs replaced oil filter changed oil flushed radiator and new coolent I plan on starting her up tomorrow but wondering how to five the moter a few good cranks to get every thing good and loose! do I need to take the belt off to do this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Jsieger89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Re: Turning over moter by hand

Pull the distributor and prime the oil pump till oil comes thru the rockers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
bk2life
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsieger89 View Post
replaced oil filter
you have already done way more than i wouldve done.. put a fresh battery in, shoot some starting fluid down the carb and start it.

did you fill that filter up with oil before putting it on?
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Jsieger89

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
Pull the distributor and prime the oil pump till oil comes thru the rockers.
Posted via Mobile Device
how exactly do I go about about doing this? and I didn't fill the oil filter up... Do I need to take it back off and fill it up?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
BigBlocksRule

Leave the distributor where it is...pull the coil wire and turn it over a few times to get oil through the system without having a cylinder fire. Reconnect the coil wire and fire it up.
If you were familiar with setting a distributor, etc., it might be fine to pull it and prime ths system...but if it's not something you've done a few times, you're more likely to cause yourself problems than solve any.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
Leave the distributor where it is...pull the coil wire and turn it over a few times to get oil through the system without having a cylinder fire. Reconnect the coil wire and fire it up.
If you were familiar with setting a distributor, etc., it might be fine to pull it and prime ths system...but if it's not something you've done a few times, you're more likely to cause yourself problems than solve any.
Good words here. Restabbing a distributor is a bit tricky if you're not real familiar with the process so it's best to let that sleeping dog lie. Leave the distributor alone and crank it without spark until you see oil pressure then light it off.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
bk2life
Account Suspended

Quote:
Do I need to take it back off and fill it up?
if its easy to get at it helps. right now your filter is empty, anytime you do an oil change you should fill the filter up with fresh oil. with the filter empty, the oil pump has to suck up new oil, push it into the filter, wait for the filter to fill and then push it to the motor.

granted it is not alot of time, but thats time your motor is running with little to no oil at all.

since you motor has been sitting for a length of time, any bit helps.

if you do what the above guys say, removing coil wire, pullin plugs and cranking motor over until you get oil pressure, then its not necessary.

also its been a couple of days, did you get this runnin yet?
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
BigBlocksRule

I'd still fill the filter. I always do it, even though I'm told it's not necessary. On one that's sat for a long time, I would absolutely recommend it. You won't get much oil pressure by just turning it over a few times, a pre-filled filter will get it to the bearings much quicker.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
how exactly do I go about about doing this? and I didn't fill the oil filter up... Do I need to take it back off and fill it up?
Posted via Mobile Device
One of these. Unless youre unsure about pulling and re installing the distributor. But priming the system is a better way to go.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-901010
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Jsieger89

update I've got the moter cranked over but not getting fule! thinkin it's all gummed up in the gas tank! have blue threw the gas lines with air and the fule pump is picking up and sounds like its priming so I'm in the process of taking off the bed and dropping the tank to wash it out! any Gipson this would b appreciated as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
LEEVON

Are you sure it's priming? Did you remove the fuel line at the carb and see if there was pressure while cranking? I recently had this problem and blew a short blast of air back from the carb line through the tank and it started flowing.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
Jsieger89

yes I have had the gas lines apart in a bunch of different places and shot air every whitch way! I'm confident I don't have a stopped up air line! I have taken the fule lines apart at the throttle oft and no fule! so something has to b goin on in the tank right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Firebirdjones

Probably unlikely there is something wrong in the tank, 4 years of sitting isn't really that long. Mechanical fuel pumps have a way of fooling you into thinking they work if you hear them pushing some air. I usually temporarily wire up a simple electric pump, jumped off the battery, and take the line off at the carb. I'll pump a gallon of fuel through the entire system into a bucket to make sure it's clean. May even start the engine with the pump if I suspect the mechanical pump is faulty.

I also am on the same page with KQQL IT, I never fire an engine dry and prefer to remove the distributor to prime fresh oil through it before I even think of turning it over. Using the starter and removing the coil wire to crank for oil pressure is still rotating a dry engine several dozen revolutions before you'll see any pressure, not a good idea. Great way to wipe a cam lobe, scuff a cylinder wall, and gouge bearings.

I have 3 cars here that have sat more than 30 years, fired all of them off successfully after going through the fuel system, changing fluids, and priming the oil system with the tool pictured above. They may smoke a little bit for a while but the more they are driven the better they get. Especially since I tend to poor some marvel mystery oil in the fuel system as well as a bit in the crank case. Once running well enough, I'll change oil again and get more fresh gas.

I'm sure after 4 years, once running you'll be fine.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
BigBlocksRule

If you haven't drained and cleaned the tank, that 4 year old gas is the culprit. It turns an orange color and stinks when it gets old. Also, will it hit if you spray it with a shot of starting fluid?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #15
Jsieger89

Yes it will start if I spray starting fluid in the throdelbody! it has to b something in that fule tank
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
88Jimmy4x4

I agree, drain that gas out
88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
Firebirdjones

I figured starting out with fresh gas went without saying

When I mentioned I didn't think the issue was in the tank, I was referring to either the fuel sock or pickup tube, neither of which rarely cause an issue, especially after sitting for only 4 years.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote