The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
dead civic

looking to make my truck motor and trans reliable

Hi, I have a 79 truck

with a 350motor/trans combo.
I want to be able to drive the car form California to Oregon. but my motor shuts off at random times, and the transmission leak fluid from some part that i till today I don't know what it's called.

what are my options?
buy a motor and trans combo that i can just drop in, where would I buyt this from?

or should I rip out the motor and trans and rebuild it? I

I'm highly interested in a transmission that will have a nice low RPM on the high way. what trans should I look into.

sorry for the run on paragraph any information is greatly appreciated, thanks.
POW MIA. .SMOKE TIRES NOT DRUGS.
dead civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
cory d

Re: looking to make my truck motor and trans reliable

look into a rebuild kit for the 350 and price out some 700r4 transmissions.
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
J Knight

I would identify first what is causing the random cutting off first. Then maybe rebuild the ignition and fuel systems. Then do a 700r4 tranny swap.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Random cutting out is probably an ignition module getting hot. If it's old replace it. Check the wires at the HEI for damage. I'm not sure when GM installed nylon gear timing chains. Removing and installing a true roller will make an engine last longer. My original 305 failed due to a broken nylon gear.

How long do you plan to keep the truck? Carb combos are great and low maintenace. For optimal performance upgrading to fuel injection is unbeatable.

A 5.3 LS with a 700R4 combo is a nice start. The LS can have both a carb or FI on it. It's just a preference.

Basically, how far and how much money do you want to spend?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

i did some research on who makes the best, most reliable ignition modules. Will get back to you.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
dead civic

well I basically want to get this truck to Oregon from CA. the way it is right now I dont trust trying to drive it...

but the 5.3 LS carbed to start off with the 700R4 sound really promising.

any one know of a shop in Los Angeles CA, that i can trust to rebuild what's in there now? I'd have my pops drop it off.

well I ike the truck, and I find myself buying more stuff for it. I wanna keep it around for a good minute as a DD
POW MIA. .SMOKE TIRES NOT DRUGS.
dead civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
tucsonjwt

My experience with rebuilds is that considering what you pay for good parts (plus labor you have to hire out or do yourself) you are way better off with a GM factory engine or late model modern engine. I don't like the late model idea only because of the electronic upgrades you would have to do to your truck, plus possible state emissions trouble depending on where you live (some states like AZ require original equipment engine, and even 1979 trucks had some emissions equipment.)
A low horse GM factory 350 + 700R4 (built correctly with a warranty) would be what I would do. However, I would first pay a top mechanic in your area to put your truck on an engine analyzer and go over the whole truck for things that need replacing. It may be that you are better off getting a newer truck in better condition than dumping a lot of money in this old one. I am assuming that a reliable daily driver with decent fuel economy is your goal.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Firebirdjones

The old 350/350 combo is about as dependable as it gets so long as everything is in good working order. It's the most common engine/trans combo out there, millions made and parts are practically at every street corner.

The only troublesome area would be the HEI. Being electronic there is the possibility of modules that die with no warning. I've always carried a spare in the glove box on any HEI car. Easy road side repair if it happens.
Everything else is mechanical on a 79 and generally won't give you issues. For the trip I'd toss a new water pump and fuel pump on there for piece of mind if that stuff is more than several years old. (about $25 a piece so it's cheap insurance).

LA to Oregon is a fairly easy trip (I-5 all the way) with no mountains to speak of. Doesn't really take that long. I drive Prescott to Sac quite a bit (with mountains). Your truck will probably make the trip just fine.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
bk2life
Account Suspended

rent a uhaul and a trailer and dont drive it. worry about the repairs when you arrive at your location
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
Pyrotechnic

How many miles are on your truck? Does the engine smoke or show any signs of being worn out? Not passing smog? Does the transmission slip or not work correctly besides the leak?

What I'm getting at is that unless the motor and trans are totally past their useful life, it's awfully quick to start talking about engine and transmission swaps when you've not even diagnosed what could be very simple and cheap fixes.

The problem is, in the great state of California you can't really do simple things that make sense to your truck. In fact, the cards are actually stacked AGAINST you as far as making your truck put out less emissions. The way California has set up the smog laws, they try to make it easier for you to send your 1975+ vehicle to the crusher or out of the state rather than keep it on the road. I'll get off my environmental soapbox...

If you aren't aware of them, you really need to read up on the CA smog laws and especially engine swaps. Be very careful what you mess with under the hood at this point, because if you change something critical you end up with a truck you cant drive or sell.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

You need to figure out first if you're going to do it yourself or drop it off at a shop. If you're going to drop it off at a shop, the last thing that guy wants to hear is you telling him what a bunch of guys on the internet told you.

If you're going to do the work yourself, there's more than enough experience here to help you.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote