The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Gene

Never thought id even consider trading or selling but I think its time.

I have almost fully restored the truck I have owned and restored twice for 20 years, once as a 2wd and now as a 4wd. But as I see it sitting in the garage day in and day out I thinkits time I replace her with something I can use. I really want a street glide and have for years, the only possible way I can get one is sell or trade the truck. I'm not lookingfor anyone to talk me out of it as I'm pretty hardheaded, but I know I will miss it dearly. I put a lot of time money and hard work into this truck but it just kills me to see it sitting in the garage covered in dust.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
AntiGov

Re: Never thought id even consider trading or selling but I think its time.

one day down the road you will be staring at a dust covered street glide wishing you had a 1971 swb 4x4 ....
AntiGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
AntiGov

maybe you could work at the local bike shop a couple of days a month to pay for the street glide
AntiGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

I have the Harley, and a couple Chevy 4x4's.
I use the trucks more than the Harley...

Keep what you have, and look for an older FLH Harley. You can get them fairly cheap, as far as HD's go.

I have owned the HD and the trucks for quite some time, and if I was forced to sell one I'd sell the Harley first.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Once the new wears off... you'll have the same feeling again...
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

I just went and read the entire build thread on it, all I've got to say is it's gorgeous, you did a spectacular job, and NO WAY IN HEdouble toothpicks would I get rid of it, but it's yours therefore it's your call, you know more about your situation than I ever will.

You threw me for a loop in the build thread tho, I got to this pic and was wondering why in the world did he leave the doorjam not painted?

but I finally figured it out, you even did a great job taping it up, so good it almost looked like factory paint!

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Anyone can go out and buy a new Harley...and they do. It once was a special group who rode Harleys,now it's anyone with a good job. They are also so readily available that the value they used to retain so well has been lost,until they become seen as a collector's item. My bike is 22 years old,low miles,with loads of money put into it. For years I could easily get my money back out of it. Now I can get what I spent on my motor,enough to buy an unrestored 1/2 decent 67-72 GM Truck. You only ride a bike on nice days and I assume that's the only time you drive your truck. On a nice Sunday when you're out you can see hundreds of Harleys on the road. When you park or run along with them,it will be them gawking and admiring your truck.
Before the economy took a big dump on the building industry I had it all...Custom '90 FLST,restored '47 Knucklehead,3 '72 K/20s,'72 short Fleetside,'71 Custom Camper/20, w/camper,'71 K/10 SWB,'90 Blazer,'91 Suburban 4wd 3/4t. I have sold most of it and kept the '90 FLST,1 '72 K2500,and a short Fleetside ground-up project(I didn't mention before). I haven't been able to get the project going anywhere,the '72 I struggle to just keep running and repaired and that's it,and for a year I was limited to a few short rides on my Harley till I finally bought new tires. It makes me wonder what I can do different. What else could I sell? But you know what? These things are what I've been all about all my life and it ain't livin' if I don't keep all three. In the past I have made the mistake of thinking,"I can always get another",and that has proven wrong. I also had a sweet '63 Riviera and that's exactly why I decided it was ok to sell and I was wrong. It's all in your mind.It doesn't cost a dime to let them sit. Just fire it up every now and then. Yours you can drive. Don't let it bother you and maybe you'll find a way to get that Street Glide. To be honest,I have been wanting a Harley touring bike since before the explosion into that market...since before the twin cams came out. I have my hot rod Harley and I want one to travel on,wash,and maintain. The time will come when it's right and all I have to do is put some money down and finance it. Or find a good deal on one someone with fat pockets bought because everyone else did and decided it wasn't for him. There are always deals like that out there. Be patient,it can happen.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
Gene

Very good points, maybe I was looking for someone to talk me out of it. I mentioned selling to a couple guys at work, one Guy asked me to price it. I told him 15k. He looked shocked and said I thought you'd start at 20. I know ill miss the truck so maybe I need to rethink this, if I part with this one ill never be able to build one like it again unless I get really lucky. Thanks guys, I think y'all talked sense into this hardhead.
Posted via Mobile Device

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
cableguy0

Take the truck out and drive it. No point in leaving it sitting in the garage. You will end up doing the same with the bike. Its hard to ride in rain or when its real cold etc. You can drive the truck any of those times just wash it off when you get home. Its harder on it to sit in the garage than it is to take it out and drive it. Vehicles that sit and by far in worse condition than vehicles that are driven. Keep the truck and save your pennies to get the harley.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I have a similar dilemma. My last two trucks are for sell. My wife would like a motorcycle. I've had offers of about everything imaginable. No cash offers yet. Part of me doesn't want to sell...but it is mostly because of the economy. I also have over the years noticed that I put way too much personal value on these old trucks..major struggle for me. Been on a quest to minimalize my life...in a none hippie way.
Like special-k said, you can only drive or ride these trucks/bikes only so many months of the year,depending on weather conditions.
So anyway, I need to figure out what is going to be the right thing to do for me in the long run. Advice is good when asked for.
I have no advice, just sharing you're not alone with these kinds of decisions.
Hope the best for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
chevymad

Same position here. I've had the truck for 20 years and 2 restorations as well. Now its starting to need a few things again and I'm just tired. I wanted a Jeep so I got one and now its my daily driver instead and I love it so far. Really enjoying it. Going to end up fixing a couple issues then try to sell the truck again this spring. I also have 2 firebirds and the wife has a yota .. so just too many vehicles.

Sometimes you just need a change and its time to move on I guess.

70 gmc changed to 67/8 chevy, 454 with voodoo cam, th400, all 74 running gear.. in progress
chevymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
gearys 5600

I have had 6 Harleys over the years..I sold my last one about a year ago ( a 2007 black street glide ) I wish I still had it so I could trade for your beautiful truck...

1969 custom/10 swb--SOLD
1968 swb 50th anniv.--SOLD
1967 camaro ss/rs..LS-6-speed, 16-year long project
1956 chevy nomad
1955 chevy 210 2-dr sedan
1978 el-camino ss 1-owner
gearys 5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
krazy_texan

Well not exactly sure what your situation is but I would save your money to buy a bike and keep the truck because you can drive the truck in all weather plus if you have kids or grand kids its easier to take them for rides and if you have had it for 20 years that thing has to have some memories to more than just you in your family
Posted via Mobile Device
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-rant mode on-

That is exactly why I don't build show trucks, or even really nice trucks. My feeling has always been that a vehicle isn't worth a sh** if you can't drive it. I drive every vehicle I own like there was no tomorrow.... I don't care what it is worth or how good of shape it's in. I didn't put my time and hard earned dollars in it to see it set in the garage... Just drive it.

-rant mode off-

Just my 2¢ worth.... (sorry)

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-rant mode on-

That is exactly why I don't build show trucks, or even really nice trucks. My feeling has always been that a vehicle isn't worth a sh** if you can't drive it. I drive every vehicle I own like there was no tomorrow.... I don't care what it is worth or how good of shape it's in. I didn't put my time and hard earned dollars in it to see it set in the garage... Just drive it.

-rant mode off-

Just my 2¢ worth.... (sorry)

LockDoc
I never really meant this truck to be a show truck, I have driven it to work many times. It doesn't sit because I don't want to drive it, it sits because it gets crappy mileage! I live pretty far out of town and its just not easy on the wallet to drive a truck thatgets 10 maybe 12 miles per gallon tops around on pleasure cruises. A bike would be cheaper, and that's where I was coming from.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
mixermike

I wish we were a little closer to each other. Would love to see that truck in person and maybe try talkin you in to a trade for my 98 corvette that seems to sit in my garage a lot because I would rather play with my trucks.it does get good mileage though......
Posted via Mobile Device
mixermike is offline   Reply With Quote