The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
1970 custom

Lost interest

Have any one lost interest in there projects and can't fined anything to spark a interest in it if so what did y'all do to get it back
Posted via Mobile Device
1970 custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
thelonerife

Re: Lost interest

Find a buddy to help you work on it. Do little jobs on it. Or cover it up and get the parts where you don't see them and uncover it in a few months or a year.
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
weever82

Sometimes it just takes time or something happens to make me excited again. Won't work on a car for awhile but then hit up a car show and be all excited again. Or I won't go hunting for awhile and someone will ask me to go and will get back into guns/hunting.... I think everyone goes through it some way or another. Just my two pennies worth.

Weev-
Posted via Mobile Device

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
1970 custom

The problem is I been pulling things off truck to fix dads truck for him to sell and nothing getting replaced as said they would I don't like buying things twice plus I went out and looked at what I had on list to do and found a cab corner had a hole in and it didn't befor I but new floor and rockers in it
Posted via Mobile Device
1970 custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
YBNORML

Do youhave any friends with a ride similar to what you are building? If so, go cruising. I have done this before and it really helps re-ignite the fire.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I've never had this problem. The only thing that I've ever lacked is time or money. Just think of the final result. If you really want that you will find the motivation it takes. It ain't gonna get there by itself

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

I occasionally get bogged down if I stick on one too long. Best just to take a little time off and don't push it. Nothing goes right if you force yourself from my experience. I just work on one of my others when it happens.

Something that is known to charge me back up is to go through a catalog and buy some parts. That almost always gets the wheels turning in my head.

And like special k said, think of the final product. That gets me through alot of the dirty, grimy no fun stuff.

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

A good cruise or show usually helps me a lot.I try to look at everything too.I find that though some makes/models (Hondas etc) aren't my style,they sometimes have mods that spark my creative juices.If I get too burned out I usually just drive it a while.I find that nt trying to do a frame off helps.I keep it driveable uness I do a mod that prevents that.I gather everything I think I'll need and build up enough of a warchest for contingencies before I start.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
leddzepp

Take a break from it like some have stated. One project is all anybody really needs, or you just end up losing focus and never seeing it through to completion.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Davemotohead

I never seem to loose intrest in projects,,I Multitask constantly,,having buddies does help and its always cool to have someone drop by to tell lies and kick tires,,To me there is nothing more Relaxing than to Crank the tunes and wrench on old crap! Its like therapy! Nothing Feels better than finishing a project and puting it to use! Its all in your mind!!
Davemotohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
dhaymaker

Sometimes I have to stop what I'm doing and kind of "recollect" my thoughts and where I am with every thing I have going on. It's not so much losing interest as it is trying to decide what to do next. When I have so many things on my To Do List I find I get frustrated and just don't do anything. So, I have to make myself just pick one thing, get it done, and then the satisfaction of having done that task gives me the motivation to keep getting things done.

weever82's comment reflects what happens at times..."Sometimes it just takes time or something happens to make me excited again."

And, special-K described what usually gets me going and doing again..."If you really want that you will find the motivation it takes. It ain't gonna get there by itself"!

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
dhaymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
gearys 5600

During my restoration on my yellow 69, I would look at all the build threads on this site..That would get me motivated again..

1969 custom/10 swb--SOLD
1968 swb 50th anniv.--SOLD
1967 camaro ss/rs..LS-6-speed, 16-year long project
1956 chevy nomad
1955 chevy 210 2-dr sedan
1978 el-camino ss 1-owner
gearys 5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
benny70

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I've never had this problem. The only thing that I've ever lacked is time or money. Just think of the final result. If you really want that you will find the motivation it takes. It ain't gonna get there by itself
I totally agree with this. I have a picture of the rendering I did up on the wall in my room.
Posted via Mobile Device
benny70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
50bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Take a break from it like some have stated. One project is all anybody really needs, or you just end up losing focus and never seeing it through to completion.
I agree with this. Alot of people get to many at once and never finish what they started. Focus on one at a time. I learned the hard way.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
wab21

Lost interest, even been disgusted with how much $$$ I have spent on just 4 wheels. Take a break, look at what you have gotten done, pick some small stuff to do and try to get one thing done at a time. Good luck.
wab21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
midniteblues

I allways try to focus on the small stuff or the task at hand its like each and every part is a small job when one is done then move on too the next with each and every part it's a differnt job. I have a tendency too burn myself out on one thing (ugh like body work)but theres allways other things too do and i take a break.

one important thing not too do is bite off more than you can chew on a project I've seen it time and time again and thats when frustration sets in and projects get sold in boxes
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
Spoof

I've experienced the feeling many times throughout my extended restoration (10 years) There was many a time I bitterly regretted the time and money I had invested in what was essentially a white elephant. Sometimes there was never going to be enough money, sometimes I felt I would never again have the time, sometimes I wondered if I would have the skills to ever get it back together again.
A dozen times I felt just like you, that I had no love for the project. But it never failed that the fever would return, somehow I'd find the money or time to get past whatever the current road block was.
In the end I got it done and I've been ecstatic every since. I look at it sitting in the garage or in the driveway and marvel that I own it, that it actually happened.
Sometimes I think it has been the greatest challenge I have faced and won. I wonder if I appreciate how much it has really taught me about the value of determination and patience and not beating yourself up when things are stalled for awhile.
That being said, if you're really sick of it...dump it and don't look back!
Old 12-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

A few people who know me, know what I've had to endure with my truck. Not gonna get into the details, but they're the kind that nobody wants.

For me, the driver has become my youngest son. He wants the memories of the two of us working on what will ultimately become his when I am gone. At the age of 65, and having survived a stroke, I can get where he's coming from.

Your statement is not rare. Probably most of us have lost interest at one time or another.

I think I have SADD....Senior Attention Deficit Disorder.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
Danny Bost

I totally lost interest in mine for a while. Then I had to move, that forced me to get the cab on the frame. Then I decided to just get it running. It is always more fun to work on them when you can drive it along the way. Now I just take one job at a time.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
C10 Ad1CT

Sometimes it is hard to stay focused. I get that for sure. Its easy for me to get overwhelmed if i do not focus on one project at a time. Take it one step at a time. Dont get in a hurry. What you do, do it right. Pretty soon you will have a truck materializing.
C10 Ad1CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #21
71gmcburb

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny70 View Post
I totally agree with this. I have a picture of the rendering I did up on the wall in my room.
Posted via Mobile Device
I do the same thing to stay motivated

1 - Don't sweat the small stuff

2 - Everything is small stuff
71gmcburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #22
cubber

I have been in and out of this hobby three or four times. I would have a vehicle, tear it into a million pieces, and then sell it for a loss. I would just get kinda overwhelmed at the pile of stuff in the shop. I sold a 78 trans am (stupid), a 77 bandit edition trans am (what is my problem?), and a 70 dodge challenger with a 440 (@$#@^%!). As hard as I tried, though, I couldn't lose interest in old vehicles. I had a buddy who has been messing with these old trucks since high school. I decided to buy one because fixing up an old truck seemed simpler than a high end muscle car. (Of course, that was before I was exposed to some of the incredible talent of this community.) I have done more with this truck than any other project, and, God willing, I believe I'm going to finish it someday soon (as much as any of these are ever really "done"). You need to find a group of people in your area that share your interest. We have a group formed out of this board that meets at least monthly, and we talk all the time. We help each other. this has really stimulated my interest. Look for some board members in your area and see if they would be up to getting together some time. It will help with the "Lone Ranger syndrome" that everybody gets at some point during a project.

All that being said, this hobby isn't for everyone. It also isn't for all the time for some people. You have to decide if you really want to continue. Don't be in a hurry to decide, because you can always hold on to something a lot easier than you can get it back. (I feel about half sick every time I see my old Trans Am, now fully restored). Its all about what you want, and no one should decide for you. I would encourage you to find a way to plug in with a group, and then you can feed off of someone else's excitement when you're having trouble getting excited.

Sorry for the rant, I just would hate to see someone go through the trouble of trying to quit something they are truly passionate about multiple times like I have.

2003 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. Cab
1995 Cavalier gas saver!
cubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #23
Shyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
A few people who know me, know what I've had to endure with my truck. Not gonna get into the details, but they're the kind that nobody wants.

For me, the driver has become my youngest son. He wants the memories of the two of us working on what will ultimately become his when I am gone. At the age of 65, and having survived a stroke, I can get where he's coming from.

Your statement is not rare. Probably most of us have lost interest at one time or another.

I think I have SADD....Senior Attention Deficit Disorder.
I am a year older than you. I too think I am suffering from SADD.

My oldest son was what got me motivated and kept me motivated.

It is so much more enjoyable to have someone to share the experience with when working on a truck, at least for me.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #24
Davemotohead

Boy you guys are making me Depressed! I bust ass on my car stuff all the time,,its realy not that hard if you get after it and GET ER DUN! My 71 was in a box a couple months ago (2) and now its running with a 40 gal suburban tank under the bed and a big block under the hood! I am putting disc brakes on my autocross corvair,,building a 3L Turbo engine for the Landspeed corvair so I can go 200+ next year at Bonneville, building another engine for my buddies car,,working on my 38 chevy,cutting up cars for body parts,,selling crap on ebay,and about 5 other car related projects! all ya gotta do is Set your mind to what ya want to get done and DO IT! Time is a wasting Boys! drink a 5 hour energy and GET AFTER IT!!!
Attached Images

Davemotohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #25
eagleuh1

Sell your other mode of transportation. Make this your only way to get somewhere. Then see how fast you can get it done. Makes you real motivated when you might have to walk everywhere.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote