The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Pizzalovr36

motor mounts?

anyone have a truck with an original inline six and tried to to put a v8 in but the mounts didnt work so went with the inline brackets? i tried it! the brackets work but the motor sits back a little!
Pizzalovr36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: motor mounts?

You are not the first by a long shot. The hassle is that nothing lines up. All the factory and aftermarket parts are designed for the corrct positioning of the motor. Exhaust and clutch issues seem to be the biggest. Here is a post on frame stands and mounts.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=motor+mounts

Post 18 has a picture that really tells the story.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
eagleuh1

I used inline 6 mounts to put my 5.3 liter in my 68. Yeh, it moved the engine back quite a bit. I used a lokar shifter cable with my tranny, so no problem. My exhaust dumps right in front of the tranny crossmember though, so it makes a real tight 90' turn down and under. Will fix that soon though. No other problems though. Oh, had to shorten the driveshaft too though.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Portmod7

My truck had V-8 mounts, and I had I-6 mounts laying around from a previous truck, and put them in, ha ha. I did it for just what you say, move the engine back. An HEI distributor will still fit, and you can pull it in and out.

I did all custom linkage for my transmission anyway, wasn't worried about a new driveshaft, and did my own exhaust too.

The most interesting part about it, I used a 4-speed Saginaw transmission (I'm sure a 3-speed would work the same). If you mount the transmission at the tailhousing instead of the bellhousing, you can use an automatic tranny crossmember and it lines up with factory holes in the frame. Or mine did anyway...