The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
jasonroman

wondering how to clean it up bit

not a 67-72 truck. but i was told i might find help here
83 c10. str8 6.
wonderng if i can get rid of all the lines on top of valve cover. would like to clean up the bay and get rid of whats not needed if possible.
thanks for any help.

jasonroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
dukcaln

Re: wondeing how to clean it up bit

thats going to take some work! but I am sure it can be done
Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Powerwasher, purple power, rinse repeat. Then figure out what everything does, find ways to re reout or eliminate things.
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
69chevy lwb

heres mine its simple offenhouser valve cover, billet specialties streamline air cleaner, hei distributor, Rochester 1 barrel carb, its on a 69 c10 292
69chevy lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
TBONE1964
Cluster King

I would be in heaven if all I could do for the rest of my life is detail engine compartments. First of all you have to think outside the box. Remember that even the smallest details get noticed the most. You may have to retain some of the vacumn lines for some functions but there is no law that says you cannot route them in a clean fashion. Imagination is the key here. I am not a fan of worm clamps and think they are very ugly. Try using the old wire clamps from the early 60's for a cleaner look. Also polish anything brass and aluminum. Reroute your battery cables for a cleaner look even if you make your own, that includes the plug wires.

There is so much you can do and not spend a lot of money.

Have fun and enjoy it.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
jasonroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevy lwb View Post
heres mine its simple offenhouser valve cover, billet specialties streamline air cleaner, hei distributor, Rochester 1 barrel carb, its on a 69 c10 292
thanks for replies..
would like mine to like the one pictured here.
mainly would like to know what i need to do to get rid of all the lines above the manifold.
friend of mine said its all connected to air pump??
if so, can i loose lines or am i stuck with the mess??

not sure what it will cost me to get headers, an intake mani and carb.
but would those things help me loose the hosey mess up top???

again, thanks for replies.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
steelhorse

Make sure it will still pass inspection if you remove anything.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
50bomb

That is cool to see a straight 6 in a 80's
Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Damn. When I look at the pictures of your engine bay, this is what I see. I guess just take it one step at a time

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
jasonroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Damn. When I look at the pictures of your engine bay, this is what I see. I guess just take it one step at a time

Posted via Mobile Device
thanks for reply. just let me know how to keep the meat in there an get rid of the spagetti.
inspection is good. so now what do i do to get rid of the mess???
Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
NoNeck

Quote:
Powerwasher, purple power, rinse repeat. Then figure out what everything does, find ways to re reout or eliminate things.
I agree with Brad_Man.

First of all, start the engine and let it run up to operating temp. This will heat up the grease, as well as help evaporate water.

Next, if you are not going to remove/replace the distributor or alternator, cover them securely with a plastic bags to keep water from condensing inside them.

Then spray a good degreaser liberally over the entire engine bay. I use Purple Power of GUNK engine degreaser. Let the degreaser sit for about 1/2 Hour, then pressure wash the heck out of it. You can rent Steam Pressure Washers around here that do a much better job on the first wash. You will probably have to repeat the pressure washing a couple of times.

Lastly, tag and remove everything on the engine. Clean up the things that you want to keep, and purchase things that are just too far gone. With some engine paint in different colors, detail the engine the way you want it.

I agree that with a little patience and a game plan, you can simplify those vacuum hoses and wires. Connect A to B in the simplest, cleanest way you can. Although I don't particularly like those little black bendable tubes that the late model GM trucks have the wiring run through them, they do clean up under the hood.

Patience, attention to detail and elbow grease will make a big improvement. Good luck!

POP
Attached Images

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
jasonroman

can anyone tell me if the lines are needed? air pump needed?
anyway to get all the lines i dont need out of there without compromsing the drive?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #13
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonroman View Post
can anyone tell me if the lines are needed? air pump needed?
anyway to get all the lines i dont need out of there without compromsing the drive?
Here is what you need for vacumn.
1. vacumn advance on distributor.
2. power brake booster (if yoou have power brakes)
3. PCV valve.
4 chock pull off (if you have one) some carbs have two.

Does the state of NJ require an emmissions test for your vehicle.

I may be missing something but those are the basics
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
jasonroman

thanks for reply.
dont beleive i have power brakes. no big round thing. just cup with 2 lines coming from it.
dont have pull off choke on truck. guess its auto thru carb??

nj has emissions, but i have a good sticker and pretty sure by the time stickers up. ill be qq.

so if thats the case. do i loose air pump or just block lines somehow?
will getting a header help?
intake mani and carb? or are these things just money spent when theres money for it?
right now id like to get rid of the eye sore. and think i may need to tune car a bit.
when i get on it theres a bit of hesitation and then pop from exhaust. when i let off the gas there tends to be a backfire type of thing happening.
thanks again for help here folks
Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
Thebng

Jason,
I got the exact same setup on my 83 as you do. I6 as well. Only difference is I got power brakes. Anyway, I will be deleting as much stuff from my bay as possible in the next week or so, so I will post up pics and once I do. I will say that I am doing this on a budget and won't have any fancy manifolds or valve covers. I'm going to backdate my valve cover to an older one that I got kicking around my garage to keep it nice and simple.
Thebng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #16
69GWC

My 70 looked like that when I got it 40 years of dirt, Castrol Super Clean and a power washer will clean it right up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
JointTech

this is funny. I think the guy wants to remove all the emissions **** from his truck and everybody keeps telling him how to scrub it good with purple stuff.

I'm in california so we cant remove any of that crap. You should verify you are allowed to do so in NJ.

If you are then you might want to do some research on what all that stuff does and if its connected to anything else. For example on newer cars you cant just yank the emissions stuff without the computer freaking out and thinking its dieing. I dont know about 83...

Then rather than remove it all just go get 900 miles of vacuum line and some zip ties, a little ben gay for your sore back and get under the hood and start rerouting stuff.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #18
69GWC

Well it dont make much since to not clean everything under the hood. Even with all the hoses re-routed if its all covered in dirt it still wont look "clean" under there.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #19
mopar346

You need to clarify the emissions issue for absolute certainty before you remove a thing or your truck will be grounded when it is time to renew until it is put back right. Make sure you save every last piece of what oyu remove just in case.

Vacuum needs as mentioned earlier are minimal, what you could do is get a vacuum schematic from a 69 with the same tranny set up and duplicate it. The question mark maybe the carb but it can be changed to an earlier version or some ports plugs. I have a 70 Camaro out back I been shaking down for a few weeks and it has a 307 in it with a TH350. It has a vacuum line to the trans for the modulator valve, a line for the PCV valve, a line to the vacuum advance, one for the PBs, vacuum supply for the A/C and a line to the air cleaner (really for no reason). If memory saves, that is all.

I believe the air pump on yours is run by a separate belt that is piggy backed off of an accessory (alternator?), so it can be removed entirely without the need to figure out a special belt size.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #20
79 silverado
Account Suspended

Re: wondering how to clean it up bit

One thing you guys need to be aware of, and I have to admit the last I6 I owned was an 84 sierra back in... 2005 or so? So it's been a while...

Your 80s 4.1L engines have an integrated head. Earlier I6s did not. When Offy and other aftermarket companies make pretty valve covers, I seem to remember them having said those covers did NOT fit the integrated head trucks.

To step off track for a minute, the integrated head was a design where the cylinder head, intake manifold, and partial exhaust manifold were cast as one piece. You cannot remove and swap an intake for example without getting a non-integrated head to swap with it.

Anyways, from what I remember, the idea was that the valve cover stamping was different to account for the intake being cast as part of the head. Accordingly, neither aftermarket nor "older" factory valve covers would seat and seal properly on the integrated head setup.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but, I suggest asking around, reading online, or best yet stop in a yard that has old trucks with integrated and non integrated heads and check. Last thing you want to do is tear half this stuff apart and realize you cannot complete your goal without a ton more parts and work to finish it.
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #21
rollin thunder

Good ole` Missouri nobody cares haha and arkansas doesnt even have inspections
2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 4wd extended cab dd
rollin thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #22
rollin thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 silverado View Post
One thing you guys need to be aware of, and I have to admit the last I6 I owned was an 84 sierra back in... 2005 or so? So it's been a while...

Your 80s 4.1L engines have an integrated head. Earlier I6s did not. When Offy and other aftermarket companies make pretty valve covers, I seem to remember them having said those covers did NOT fit the integrated head trucks.

To step off track for a minute, the integrated head was a design where the cylinder head, intake manifold, and partial exhaust manifold were cast as one piece. You cannot remove and swap an intake for example without getting a non-integrated head to swap with it.

Anyways, from what I remember, the idea was that the valve cover stamping was different to account for the intake being cast as part of the head. Accordingly, neither aftermarket nor "older" factory valve covers would seat and seal properly on the integrated head setup.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but, I suggest asking around, reading online, or best yet stop in a yard that has old trucks with integrated and non integrated heads and check. Last thing you want to do is tear half this stuff apart and realize you cannot complete your goal without a ton more parts and work to finish it.
I have an 84 I6 250 and you are remembering correctly, it sucks no clifford or offy for this guy haha
2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 4wd extended cab dd
rollin thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #23
mopar346

Not that it helps but I have an 82 out back with a non-integreated head/intake. I believe it is the original engine.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #24
Billy81

I also have an 83 C10 with the 250 that has the integrated head but the smog pump is long gone the previous owner removed it and plugged the holes in the exhaust manifold but left everything else. In my state any vehicle over 20 years old is exempt from emissions tests so no problems there but i would also like to know what else i could remove.