The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
Amniculi

Why????

I realize that I'm in the minority here and am probably going to be shouted down, but why do so many people feel the need to slam these beautiful pieces of American engineering into the ground? Why is it so bad for a truck to be truck?

Amniculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
thunder71

Re: Why????

because they look awesome & can't handle what the trucks of today can do...
69 C10 shortbed stepside SOLD
71 C10 custom deluxe long fleetside SOLD
Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Corts60
Just here to tinker

It's the current style man. Same reason everyone jacked up the rear ends of muscle cars in the 70's and 80's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Mine's not getting dropped! LOL

Honestly, when I get a 2WD, I will probably lower it a little, just to get a little more handling out of it, but I don't understand the slam it on the ground either. It would be nearly impossible to drive on the roads around here, as you know.

But, to each his or her own!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Amniculi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder71 View Post
because they look awesome & can't handle what the trucks of today can do...
Gonna have to disagree with the looking awesome statement. If I wanted my butt dragging on the ground I'd drive a *car*. I'm not sure what you're referring to with your second statement. I can throw a load of stuff in the back of my truck just the same as a guy with a 2013 model. Granted, I'm not hauling around a bed full of gravel, but who does that regularly anyway? That's what dump trucks are for.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I can only say this, its their's to do with as they please. If some of us don't like it, then that is our purgative.

I like my truck lowered a bit, 2.5/3-4. I think it looks and handles well. It handles alot better than when it was at stock height. now, those that like the stock look, I like those also.

I too can throw a bunch of stuff in my bed, haul it, haul a trailer etc. I just add a little air and im still level and riding smooth.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
thunder71

i have 2 other trucks...my 2000 F250 crewcab 4x4 and my 1998 S10 extended cab...my 66 c10 has no tie downs for one to haul all the motorcycles around...there is no way i'm loading my 66 down like i can my others plus they have trailer hitches for pulling....they look stupid on the old trucks...my choice my truck...it's a cruiser not a worker
69 C10 shortbed stepside SOLD
71 C10 custom deluxe long fleetside SOLD
Old 12-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

When I was a little kid dropping the rear was popular because it could be done for nearly nothing on 1940’s era cars by simply adding long shackles in the back. Lowering the front required a dropped axle which cost money and required a place to work.

In the early 50’s lowered cars were popular, normally done by torching the springs and making the cars dangerous and uncomfortable. In the 60’s when gassers became popular a large volume of cars got jacked up in the front. In the early 70’s the whole car went up in the air, and by the late 70’s the nose went back down, leaving the rear end sticking up in the air. Just like in the 40’s it could be done inexpensively just by adding long shackles going the other way.

Dragging frame is just what happens to be popular now. It’s not my preferred style, but I understand why others want to be up to date with current trends. And in truth some of the lowered suspensions are built with performance in mind and may handle better with a lower center of gravity, or have better engineering designed in.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Amniculi

I have no problem with lowering trucks. I plan on lowering mine a couple inches at some point. What I don't understand is lowering it to the point that you remove all functionality. To me that's like neutering a champion racehorse - it just doesn't make sense.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
65c10restomod

I can understand lowering to a certain extent I just hate to see someone make a "RatRod" out of them and leave the rust on them.
65c10restomod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
Billett

I'm more concerned about the stretched/stanced/hellaflush fad going on with cars. Dragging frame is one thing, but purposefully ignoring safety is another...

Disclaimer: I have nothing against 240s, nor do I know who owns this one. It was just a picture from google.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
VictoriaHardware

Think of it this way- they are putting money in your pocket. When they "ruin" one, there's one less on the market and that makes yours just a little more valuable. Those folks are your friends.
VictoriaHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
forestb

this thread needs to be renamed, "Pardon me while I rant about what I don't like".
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

1. You have less than 10 posts and you've decided to ask an entire sub-set of enthusiasts "why bother".....

2. No, your truck can't start, run, turn, drive, or haul anywhere near what the modern equivalent can. Not only that, most of the modern trucks can do it more efficiently, quieter, and more comfortably. Yes old trucks are awesome, but NO they do not do the job of "being a truck" better than any new truck.

3. The only way for your truck turn, drive, haul or ride any better or near a modern truck is; drumroll AIR RIDE. Ya....the same **** that "Slams" a truck, is also the same stuff that LIFTS the biggest of the big, and smooths out the ride for everything from Land Rovers to Greyhound buses. Heck, there are plenty of guys both on here and on a thousand other forums, (s10, ranger, f150 heck ANY big truck) that use their trucks as daily drivers, bike and kid haulers, doing so while dragging sparks down the freeway.

I'll let the fact that your thread was otherwise baseless be ignored.

I think Notorious B.I.G can sum this up for me.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
64fleetside

To each their own-if we were all alike there would only be vanilla ice cream.
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
s11sean11

lol my dad likes lowered trucks to but he does not understand at all why i want my 62 laid out
s11sean11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
skidpan

Nice vid, beautiful truck... Ive built my 60 to lay frame, yet still have 2 motorcycles on the wood bed floor/ taueno cover, and pull a 60s camping trailer. 100% functional, great ride, and exactly the way I want it. I understand that's its not for everyone. There are people out there that are purest at heart that wouldn't change a thing on a 49 to 50 merc, but I couldn't/ wouldn't own one with out chopping it up, and building a low and slow sled.
Posted via Mobile Device
skidpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Why not? In my case, I have back problems and getting in and out of vehicles easily, as well as accessing what's in the bed is a high priority for me.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
QBA
Proud Americano

different strokes for different folks.

its like Baskin Robins.choose your flavor.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #21
gimmy 64

it's the same as the people that own late model trucks that put lift kits on them. they look like jacked up 4wheel drives but i gaurrenty 99% never go off road. thats is what the hot rod or car enthusists thing is all about. you build them like you like them. i love slammed trucks --would i own one --probably not but my 64 gmc is definatly is lowered. but i like stone stock trucks also. i am just a person that has never owned a stock vehicle. and i am 60 years old
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #22
Malibob

my truck is still functional. but i didnt really lower mine all that much.

i completely agree, lowering trucks so they arent functional would be dumb. lucky for me, i can still use mine for hauling stuff- i do it all the time. and if i need taller sides i can add some wood rails to the pockets and haul in style. whats even more fun than hauling stuff is just driving and i do that all the time in the very same truck- so in my opinion it is still functional. i can tow a boat with it but i dont have a boat so it works out.

Flickr
Malibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #23
FetchMeAPepsi

Easy guys! Let's all take a breath and remember that high or low we still love 'em, K?

The answer to your question is like others have said - It's what's popular now. It'll pass just like low riders of the early 80's passed. There are still VERY many stock height and higher truck lovers right here on this board. Check out the build threads for starters.

Here's a safer question, ask your wife why she has to have the shoes or purse she just bought when she has 10 others in the closet already. Then duck the frying pan that'll magically appear in the air overhead, heh!
It's just the style and some like to chase the style of the day.

You don't have to like it but we all try to respect each other's opinions on here. That's what makes this forum so great
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #24
Malibob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
It's what's popular now. It'll pass just like low riders of the early 80's passed.
Whoa there nelly. To say this is a fad is a little off base. Lowriders have been around since the early 60's and sleds even earlier. Those "fads" didnt pass. I think this "fad" will be around a lot longer than you fellas think.

Once you cut a frame and 4 link a rear or dropmember a front end- there aint no comin back from that. You are in it for a passion- not to be the popular kid on the block. Not to mention all of us guys with patina rides and slammed rides hear more negative than we hear positive. I catch shlt all the time from old timers- "why the hell would you do that, when you gonna finish that thing" all the BS you could imagine.

I found my shift key lol.

Flickr
Malibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #25
FetchMeAPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibob View Post
Whoa there nelly. To say this is a fad is a little off base. Lowriders have been around since the early 60's and sleds even earlier. Those "fads" didnt pass. I think this "fad" will be around a lot longer than you fellas think.

Once you cut a frame and 4 link a rear or dropmember a front end- there aint no comin back from that. You are in it for a passion- not to be the popular kid on the block. Not to mention all of us guys with patina rides and slammed rides hear more negative than we hear positive. I catch shlt all the time from old timers- "why the hell would you do that, when you gonna finish that thing" all the BS you could imagine.

I found my shift key lol.
Bob, you read wayy too much into that. The point is that slamming these old trucks is popular now, and just like jacking them up passed, this will too. That's just the way of things. Who's to say levitating them on magnets won't be cool 20 years from now?

It's what's in style. Relax and enjoy it
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote