The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
THE "10" SILVERADO

Flip Kit with HD Springs.

Bout a year ago I installed 2" drop shackles on my truck (77 lwb) to see if it would level it out. It didn't. I think it was still about an inch high. Didn't have the money to do anything else to it.

Now I'm looking at lowering it some more. I've been looking into flip kits (seem like the best option) and I'm wondering if anyone had done this with the heavy duty 8 leaf springs. I'm thinking since they are so thick that even if I did the 5" flip it would turn out like a 7" drop instead. If anyone has done this how much did it drop your truck? That would give me a reading on how much I need to lower the front (2", 3"?)

Also, those that have 2 piece drive shafts, will this screw up your pinion angle? I don't have a welder so I can't cut and re-weld the carrier bearing mount.

Thanks!
Michael
Old 12-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
Pyrotechnic

Re: Flip Kit with HD Springs.

Taking out the over loads should get you down another inch roughly, and save about 100 pounds Couldn't believe how thick and heavy they were when I pulled mine.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
THE "10" SILVERADO

Re: Flip Kit with HD Springs.

Think I figured this about from an old old thread I dug up. A board member lowered his 1/2 ton (that had the HD 3/4 springs) and it dropped him around 6.5".

Now the question is, how do I adjust the pinion angle afterwards since I have a two peice driveshaft?