The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Leroyswift

What is there to leak in trans/transfer case

I have a 1978 k10 350 4speed and a 12 bolt out back. the whole area underside is caked in oil and after pulling both plugs in trans and t case not a drop in either. I am curious where are the seals and the difficulty of the replacementof ALLof them. Thanks yall
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
bobbybyrns

Re: What is there to leak in trans/transfer case

Well common leak spots on the trans are side covers or input shaft seal or out put shaft seal and pretty much same for the t case input/out put shaft seals(Tail shaft seal). Depends of where the leaks are as of to how hard it is do do you might have to pull the trans and t case or just pull the t case. Fill em back up and find the leak
bobbybyrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
High ho silverado

What tcase do u have? Some cases have a seal between them and the tranny, when that seal goes bad the trans will fill the tcase and when the case gets full pressure will blow out the output seals, also I've seen them leak around the splines for the yikes, there is a little rubber seal in the yoke that goes bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
97 Chevy 3/4 ton ex cab 454: work horse
00 Chevy camaro: daily driver
83 Chevy 3/4 ton: dads old rig
High ho silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
Leroyswift

I reckon its a Np205 gear type. The truck came with a factory chevrolet parts manual that is full of exploded diagrams and it shows what it calls an "adapter" between the trans and t case. im thinkin thats the source. im the third owner and the guys before me really abused it. There was a 3/4 plate across the frame with a goose neck in the bed, just a glimpse of the shenanigans the truck endured. This was my $400 i drove it home special. Good strong 350 that runs stronger than my 89 k3500 tbi.The last pic with blue bed is as it currently stands with a total all inclusive investment off ~$975
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #5
High ho silverado

Well if it is a 205 ur lucky, cause if its a 203 ur not so lucky, the 205s are a lot easier to take down to fix the gasket for the stand than the 203s. Ull know if its a 203 or not, they are huge and have the full time 4wd. For example( the shifter will say 4 hi loc-4 hi- N- 4low- 4 Low loc) if its the aluminum 208 then u hit the jackpot cause they are real easy to work with but I'm sure u didn't get that lucky cause they were in the 81 up.stuff
Posted via Mobile Device
97 Chevy 3/4 ton ex cab 454: work horse
00 Chevy camaro: daily driver
83 Chevy 3/4 ton: dads old rig
High ho silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Leroyswift

It definately aint all full time 4wd. A guy round here used to work at the huge chevy dealership said the same thing,he also mentioned the 208 but id rather mot have alum cased stuff. Course if it was mt way i wish i had a 700r4 to replace that 4spd. Oh well.
Posted via Mobile Device