The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Washer pump question

I bought a replacement from the junk yard. Turns out it has a stamp on it of 2010, so it's a pretty good score, since it is a replacement. I wired it up and installed it. Prior to hooking up the hoses (since they turned out to be too short and I'll need to buy new ones), I pushed the washer button on the dash and I can see that the motor works and hear it working. The problem is that it comes on and stays on even with just the wipers moving. Why would it be constantly on like that? Ended up just unplugging the power to it, since I don't want to burn it out running every time the wipers are turned on.
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Washer pump question

It sounds like the little extension spring that is part of the shutoff cycle is broken so it just keeps running.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
truckster

Here's the pic I promised you earlier. This is a washer bottle from an S-10.

The red wire on the pump is spliced to the yellow, which is a fused hot. The brown wire comes from the washer terminal on the switch. Pushing the switch closes the ground on the circuit, which activates the pump. The pump only stays on for as long as you push the switch.
Attached Images

truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Here's the pic I promised you earlier. This is a washer bottle from an S-10.

The red wire on the pump is spliced to the yellow, which is a fused hot. The brown wire comes from the washer terminal on the switch. Pushing the switch closes the ground on the circuit, which activates the pump. The pump only stays on for as long as you push the switch.
Thanks for the suggestion. I got tired of fiddling with the stock pump, and bought one like you suggested. Below is the pic. I need some help with the wiring though, if you don't mind giving me a bit more detail?

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
truckster

I'll have to look at mine when it stops snowing. The wiring is pretty simple, though. The red wire goes to a fused 12v source; it doesn't much matter which one. The black one goes to the black wire that's connected between your wiper switch and the pump.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I'll have to look at mine when it stops snowing. The wiring is pretty simple, though. The red wire goes to a fused 12v source; it doesn't much matter which one. The black one goes to the black wire that's connected between your wiper switch and the pump.
So, when you say the red goes to a fused hot, is that the fuse panel above the drivers floor inside the cab? How do I connect it to one of the sources? Just splice it to one of the wires that's already plugged in to a fuses 12v source? Or, do I need to find a spare slot? Do they sell ends that crimp on and plug in, or is there a more simple way?

With the other wire that you said goes between the wiper and the pump, I assume you're talking about the flat connector plug that connected to the old pump under the dash?

Sorry for the questions. I'm not real experienced with auto electrical, even though I can build a computer from the ground up lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
Daddy Brim

The red wire is positive, and is constant. You can ether run a wire from the new pump to the fuse box, connect wire with female spade to male fused on fuse box. Or the way I would go is to connect to + on battery or bulk head connector with a inline fuse. The black wire is ground and this is the switched side. You will need to run a wire from the spade that connected to the old pump, to the black wire on the new pump.

First pic various crimp on connectors, far left easy to make inline fuse.
Second pic bulk head connector
Attached Images

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
camrycurt

I just put one of these in my truck, too. You'll love being able to actually clean your windshield.

In addition to the good advice Daddy Brim gave you, you might consider installing it like I did for mine. If you follow the wires to your stock washer pump, there will be a plug with a dark blue wire and two yellow wires coming out of it. You can see it facing you in the picture I included which I stole from another thread. This is the washer pump wiring from the wiper switch.

Unplug that connector from the stock pump, then feed the two wires for your new aftermarket pump through the firewall, crimp some flat spade connectors on the ends of the new wires, and stick them into this plug. The yellow wires connect to your new red wire and the black wire from your new washer pump plugs into the dark blue wire side of the connector.

It's a super easy and clean installation. Good luck!

Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Images

1970 C/10, 250 L6 with Rochester BV carb, SM465 4 speed, 3.73 open rear
camrycurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrycurt View Post
I just put one of these in my truck, too. You'll love being able to actually clean your windshield.

In addition to the good advice Daddy Brim gave you, you might consider installing it like I did for mine. If you follow the wires to your stock washer pump, there will be a plug with a dark blue wire and two yellow wires coming out of it. You can see it facing you in the picture I included which I stole from another thread. This is the washer pump wiring from the wiper switch.

Unplug that connector from the stock pump, then feed the two wires for your new aftermarket pump through the firewall, crimp some flat spade connectors on the ends of the new wires, and stick them into this plug. The yellow wires connect to your new red wire and the black wire from your new washer pump plugs into the dark blue wire side of the connector.

X2 ^^^^^^ I did all of my trucks this way!

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrycurt View Post

Wow. That could not be easier. Thanks!

How about running the washer line hoses. Did you use the ones that came with the S10, or did you do something else?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
camrycurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Wow. That could not be easier. Thanks!

How about running the washer line hoses. Did you use the ones that came with the S10, or did you do something else?
Posted via Mobile Device
I used the existing stock hoses in my truck, but I bypassed the stock washer pump by cutting all three hoses just before they went through the firewall and adding a plastic tee to make a direct connection from the new pump to the nozzles.

I tried it at first by leaving the hoses connected and running through the stock pump, but washer fluid leaked onto my shoes when I ran the new pump so I had to bypass it.

Hope that helps.

1970 C/10, 250 L6 with Rochester BV carb, SM465 4 speed, 3.73 open rear
camrycurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Thanks for your help everyone. I got everything all connected today, and it works like a charm! It's so nice to finally have this working.
Posted via Mobile Device