The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Codez67Chevy

Question 292 L6 any one done any performance?

Anyone done any performance to their 292 L6? Cuz I wanna!
Posted via Mobile Device

93' Toyota pickup 2WD 2dr and 32mpg. Daily driver. 300k+

Members I've met...
Mister-B
Codez67Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: 292 L6 any one done any performance?

Look for a book by Leo Santucci. The ISBN is 1-931128-15-4 Chevrolet Inline six-Cylinder performance Manual
He's getting great performance from one.Be aware that you can probably build and swap a 350 in for less than you can do a 6.The heads are really a bottleneck on the 6 according to him.It basically comes down to what you want.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
pritch

I hear that someone is working on a new 12 port head for these. I'm sure they will be out of reach for all but the most wealthy of sixaholics

You can get a thousand horses out of them if you have the money, but only for about 8 or 10 seconds.

The one I'm building should be pretty strong, but it's taking mucho dinereo. I'm still about 800 bucks from seeing it run. (with any luck at all)
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
cubber

I did a TON of research on inline performance for my build. Good news is that most of the info out there (like Santucci's book) is based on the 292. They make a lot of torque to start with, and you can really liven them up with a pertronix points eliminator (HEI), an Offenhauser or Clifford Performance intake and 4 barrel carb, and a set of Tom Langdon's Stovebolt headers. The downside is that with just these few additions, you will be in about $1k, then if you want to go further, you can port your head, and install "lumps", and bigger valves for about another $1-1.5k. If you want to get really wild, you can put a turbo on it (Tom Lowe at 12bolt.com is the man on this), and make huge power, but if done wrong even for a short time, you will ruin your pistons. I chased all these rabbits, and ended up going with a stroked small block that will make more power than all but the most radical inlines for a fraction of the cost, and I can get parts at my local places. It's really all in your personal preference. I know when i see a swwet inline at a car show, I'll shake my head and say "what if", but had I tried to build one the way I wanted, I would still be trying to save up for it. Good luck and have fun, whatever you decide!

2003 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. Cab
1995 Cavalier gas saver!
cubber is offline   Reply With Quote