The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Aaron Burkemper

Manifold choke coil cover

How important is the cover that goes over the manifold mounted choke coil? It has gotten colder here in the STL, and I noticed the cooling fan blows a lot of air over that area of the engine. The cover over the coil is missing on my engine. I thought that could be keeping the coil from expanding more quickly by cooling it off. I put a piece of sheet metal in front of it to block some air flow, and it appears to open more quickly. One day I will put an electric choke on it, but for now this works and I have bigger fish to fry with this truck.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
flyingtim01

Re: Manifold choke coil cover

It would be hard to rate it's importance, but you can say at the very least they were designed to be used with the cover on it. I imagine if you ran it without the cover you'd probably just have to get used to the choke opening up a little slower, and closing faster. That's why they call them choke stoves, the coil is supposed to be enclosed. Maybe worth checking to make sure the choke is opening fully when the engine is up to temp.

Actually, if you're going to monkey with the choke, might just want to get a new cover. I know that you can get a new coil at just about any parts store in the Help! section, not sure about the covers, but I don't imagine they're hard to find.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Aaron Burkemper

You are right, they are not hard to find. Sometimes it is fun to be able and "field repair" things and get them to work until you can make the permanent fix. It is on my list!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
flyingtim01

You're right about that...there is always a list of things to do on these trucks! Since I bought my truck 2 years ago, I've never been able to open the driver's door from the inside, the clip holding the rod to the door latch rotted and the rod fell out. I finally got around to replacing the rod and now the door opens from the inside...but all the jostling in the door panel finally made the window regulator give up the ghost, and now the window only rolls up halfway before falling down!

So now I've got a few wood shims in the door panel holding the window up until I get around to replacing the regulator...