The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
mark '87 930

SImple 'ish' wiring question

I am in the process of rewiring the entire truck. I bought a classic rewiring kit with all the 'proper' connections. My question is this:

The connectors that lead to the wires heading underneath the truck and to the rear tail lights (also has a lead for the fuel tank), where on the truck have you placed them (the connection points). I have long enough leads to have the connections on the firewall (even the fuel sender lead is long enough), but then i have to bundle up all this extra wire near the firewall (the extra i mean is the wiring before the conectors to the main harness). The other option is to run the wires straight down the firewall and tuck them in behind the master cylinder, putting the connections about 1' behind the master cylinder, tucked into the frame. If i put the connectors there, how do i protect them from debris and all that junk?

make sense? do you need pictures of what i mean?
mark '87 930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
1project2many

Re: SImple 'ish' wiring question

Is this for the TF truck in your avatar? If so the connection point between main harness and harness to rear lights / fuel tank should be just forward of the "second crossmember." Of course, in typical GM fashion, the "second crossmember" is actually the third back when counting (the one you and I would call second is named the Engine Rear Support.) I can confirm that my 57 has a connection point in this area. To protect the wires you can use a grease applied to the backsides of the connectors after they are mated. A thick, old fashioned chassis grease seems to work well for me.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
mark '87 930

Re: SImple 'ish' wiring question

thank you. that's exactly what i needed to hear.
mark '87 930 is offline   Reply With Quote