The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
cubber

Question What's up in Houston?

The wife and I are thinking about a move to the Houston, TX area. We have family in Pearland, and would like to live somewhere similar, and in the area. I see guys all the time that are from there, so I thought I'd ask a few questions. What's the truck/car show scene like out there? What is the job market looking like thes days? I have a college degree in Agriculture, and management experence in construction. What would be a ball park cost on a small house with a decent little shop, in a place a little out of town? I know these are broad questions, but i would really be interested in any feedback at all. Besides, I trust y'all for advice on my truck, so why shouldn't I trust y'all with this?

2003 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. Cab
1995 Cavalier gas saver!
cubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Rusbuilt

Re: What's up in Houston?

Boo! Stay in Tennessee
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Houston is so huge! You have to go 50 miles out of town to "be in the country"! Then it takes you 2 plus hours to drive to down town. Go to Austin, much better place. Or Ft Worth!
Posted via Mobile Device

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
alexkass72

San Antonio is definitely cooler!
alexkass72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Jparks

They have a show in Houston every weekend it seems like, not sure how many of those you'd actually want to go to though. I don't want to get too far into it but most aren't geared toward classic car and truck guys. As far as the house question, you'd really have to pick an area before you can get a good estimate on housing cost. Each area of Houston is going to have different costs.

Didn't answer the job market question cause it's been forever since I've had to look for a job, hopefully someone else can help you with that.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
POPO1984

I would say the construction market is good but probably very competitive because every (and i say this not in a racial way) mexican around has some type of construction company or cousin does so unless your into actual larger mass construction projects on higher end stuff its hard to beat there prices when they dont have to pay taxes and pay all there workers under the table. Agriculture i have no clue. Pearland, Mont belveu, dayton places like that out of town are nice but for a small house and a shop its probably gonna be at least 180's from what ives seen for newer home.
POPO1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
POS1

We have Cars and Coffee car show the first Sat of each month - about 400-500 cars/trucks. In the summer months, there's the Nifty 50s where nothing newer than '72 or something like that. Then there's all kinds of small shows on a regular basis.

Job market is the best in the country. Texas has mostly avoided the "recession". We are still blowin' and goin' down here thanks to the energy market. Our housing certainly has not crashed. Construction is in full-tilt - you should be pretty good there.

I have no idea home prices in Pearland, but go to www.har.com and search around there.

I've been here off and on for 43 years; the people are great, the state is beautiful, the food is phenomenal. No state income tax, but they get you on the property tax. Gas is always cheap. Worst thing about Houston is the weather - we have two seasons, summer and winter, and summer is insanely hot and humid. I'm still not used to it, and I still don't like it. But the winters are great. Every 15-20 years, a hurricane. Breaks up the day a bit. We don't whine about hurricanes as much as New York does!

San Antonio never interested me. Austin is very 'green' and earthy - strange people - but beautiful hills, great food, great young city vibe. Dallas is very upscale and cosmopolitan, with an attitude to match. I like Dallas, btw, but I'd only live there because they have more seasons than Houston does. Houston is a nice blend of down to earth people, but I'll probably end up in Austin some day.
1986 Jeep CJ7
1969 Porsche 911S Targa
POS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
nate_g_2003

I've lived in Houston my entire life, and despite the traffic, and sometimes unpredictable weather, I'd live here the rest of my life.

As for car shows, there is Cars & Coffee, Niftee 50ees (79 and older), and a bunch of local, unorganized cruise-ins. There is one in Pearland every Friday night, and one in Kemah every Saturday. I know of one in Dayton on Saturdays as well. They have the Houston Autorama every Thanksgiving weekend, and the Houston Auto Show (new cars, concepts, etc.) is usually in the first part of the year (can't remember exactly). We have Monster Jam a few times a year, and there are a few drag strips around (Baytown 1/4+oval, NE Houston 1/8+oval, Navasota 1/8, Sealy 1/8). There are tons of different car clubs all over town that put on shows/cruise-ins, so it's easy to find one pretty much every weekend.

Housing really depends on the area. You shouldn't have any problem finding a small tract of land to build on, it just depends on how much you have to spend. I really can't give you even a ballpark guesstimate.

Jobs are good. A degree in ag may not be the most useful to have in Houston, as much is energy-based, but it depends on how you write your resume and the way you play the interview. I could see an ag degree coming in handy for environmental stuff in the energy industry. Construction is huge as well. Lots of small comanies, and lots of big ones. Management experience is always good to have, in any industry. Definitely look into finding a job in oil/gas/energy.

Hope that helps! Look forward to having you down here if it works out!
2005 Ford F150 Lariat SCrew 2WD "The Daily Driver" SOLD
1995 GMC Sierra C1500 SLE "The Daily Driver"SOLD
2003 Ford Ranger Edge 2DSC 2WD Flareside "The Daily Driver/Project"SOLD
nate_g_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
cubber

Wow! Thanks for all the input. This is just in the "discussion" stage now, but I think we would like it. My wife grew up in Houston, and went to A&M for college and grad school. I also have a connection at Valero. My construction management experience was in interstate paving.I was superintendent over the asphalt plant, which I'm told would translate well to refinery work. I am interested in any info, so keep it comin!!!!! Thanks, y'all.
Posted via Mobile Device

1995 Cavalier gas saver!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
cubber

BTW, I lived in TX for a couple years, but I was up in the Panhandle around Amarillo. I liked the overall "vibe" of the state then, and have always liked it when we visited Houston, and its close to the beach!
Posted via Mobile Device

1995 Cavalier gas saver!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
74baggedbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubber View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the input. This is just in the "discussion" stage now, but I think we would like it. My wife grew up in Houston, and went to A&M for college and grad school. I also have a connection at Valero. My construction management experience was in interstate paving.I was superintendent over the asphalt plant, which I'm told would translate well to refinery work. I am interested in any info, so keep it comin!!!!! Thanks, y'all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Refinery work usually means shift work & 12 ht shifts but the pay is darn good and Only work 6 months outta the year, but that also leaves a lot of opportunity for OT at the refinery/ chemical plants
Posted via Mobile Device
74baggedbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubber View Post
...... My wife grew up in Houston, and went to A&M for college and grad school. I also have a connection at Valero. My construction management experience was in interstate paving.I was superintendent over the asphalt plant, which I'm told would translate well to refinery work. I am interested in any info, so keep it comin!!!!! Thanks, y'all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Houston is big and there are all sorts of companies on the outskirts where you could apply. Your wife being an A&M grad is a big plus and probably won't have a problem getting a job there. I agree with above to start your resume mentioning your degree and experience. With all the governmental regulations regaring the environment, especially in the Houston area, it should be a plus. Good luck and hopefully a Texas "welcome" and a TAMU "Howdy!"
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
pbjsammich

Are you a country guy? I think you might be in for some serious shell shock if you are. Houston's a big place with a ton of traffic.

Sound advice in this thread. Car scene is great. Har.com is the perfect website to get an idea on housing.

My big advice to you....rent the first 6 months, minimum. And this coming from a guy that despises paying rent. I think you'll find quickly that your commute is going to be a huge driver (no pun intended) to your overall lifestyle. Get here and figure out how the traffic is around your job. Find out what area of town you really like as they all have a bit of a different attitude and different scenery.

I lived kinda between Spring and Tomball for 3 years (NW side of town). Nice area. We now live out on Lake Conroe and couldn't be happier.

Lastly....did I miss it? No one talking about the summers? It's HOT down here. Summer last May-Sep. The upside....don't have to put the toys away for winter.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
cubber

I have been there for 4th of July....hot....humid, too, but its like that here, too. I have visited several times, so I know that it is a huge urban area, and that comes at a price. It also comes with opportunities. We are just thinking about it, and I am really appreciative of all this input, and there is some sound advice, too. What is the best and worst thing about Houston?

1995 Cavalier gas saver!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #15
lolo33

I've been in Houston area for training in 2007, The Woodlands and Conroe. As french, I really enjoyed the area. Cold weather and storms in august. Price of houses seems really low for french guy (X4 less expensive for similar around big town in France !)
I'm warehouse and logistics director without employment in France now, why not working in Texas ?
Old 12-15-2012, 05:28 AM   #16
lolo33

sorry, not cold, but HHOOOOOTT weather (95° afternoon)
Old 12-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #17
Jparks

Oh I'm sorry, did you say your wife went to A&M, job market down here is closed then. Hook em!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #18
SLOW POKE

Your wife went to A&M!!! Score!!!

Farmers Fight!!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #19
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jparks View Post
Oh I'm sorry, did you say your wife went to A&M, job market down here is closed then. Hook em!
Posted via Mobile Device
Nope, job market's wide open for AG's. Come on home and GIG 'EM!

Actually two of mine graduated from TAMU and youngest from UT. All have good jobs.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote