The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2003, 05:16 PM   #1
my67c20

Transmission Dilemma

Well after weeks of exhausting research for the best transmission to upgrade to i am now stumped between 2 options. When i upgrade my SM465 do i go with the 700r4 or the NV4500. I personnally like the stick shift but talk about cost. However if i go with the automatic i could end up spending just as much. So money really is not the biggest problem.The real dilemma is with the automatic the wife can now drive my truck and i can periodically use her car. But do i want her to be able to drive my truck? I could try to ruin my marriage and try to teach her to drive a stick but do i really want to spend alot of money to cry everytime she grinds the gears. What do i do? Any body else caught between this rock and hard place.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 05:44 PM   #2
Class of 69

My personal opinion on transmissions is, I like an auto in my daily driver, but a "toy" needs a stick!! To teach your wife how to shift, go to the local car rental place, and rent a stick shift for her to "practice" on. Most economy models are available with a stick. When she can find em instead of grind em, take it back! $50.00 rental is a cheap learning tool.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:07 PM   #3
my67c20

Well i though about the rental car route. The problem is that 99% of all stuff out there is running a hydraulic clutch nothing feels like the real deal. Also you have the difference of driving and manuevering a 3/4 ton truck. She claims she used to drive a stick so hopefully the once you learn to ride a bike mentality is still there only need some brushing up.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote