The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2003, 07:38 PM   #1
714x4lover

Detroit locker

I am in the process of installing a detroit locker In my 3/4 ton eaton rear end. I have been told that I will be breaking stuff in the rear end because of the locker. My truck had the locker option origanally, but someone removed it before I bought it. Do I need a special carrier to install the locker? The person that took out the locker just put limited slip. So is there anything that I need to know before I start this project? Thanx in advance.
714x4lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 12:26 AM   #2
69oldie
Never too many LONGHORNS!

The factory "detroit locker" fits in the same carrier as the non-detroit lockers in the Eaton 3/4 HO52 or HO72 1 ton rear ends. The only thing you need to worry about these lockers is they tend to wear out the rear tires quicker. they can be a bit noisy @ times........"clicking" and "popping" sounds........are very common. Inside tire (while turning) will tend to "churp" during acceloration. This is because the locker wants to make both tires to rotate at same speed. Use a high quality gear oil for these.......it helps out with the noise and wear on these lockers. detroits are considered indistructable.
Good luck.......
69oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 03:35 AM   #3
K20cheyenne

I have the original detroit locker (no-spin) in my 72 K20. It has never made a noise and yes it is working perfectly. The only excessive tire wear I've experienced is from being able to spin both tires at the same time for a good smoke show. There is some free play in it, that is normal, and at times it can sound pretty bad when the slack is taken up from a stop or forward to reverse but it is normal and nothing to worry about. I've done some pretty hard wheelin' and the only thing I ever broke was the front axle shaft, and a new paint job. These rear axles are very stout. Best of luck on your install.
K20cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 11:15 AM   #4
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

You really have to try HARD to hurt one. My 72 k-20 has a original equip. locker also. 38" TSLs being twisted by a 500 cad. I have pulled it in truck pulls with smaller rubber for years without damage. I have always referred to the pulling sled as the "redneck dyno." It is going to tell you if you REALLY do have power & what is weak in your truck in a hurry.

If something breaks, there are only 3 possible reasons why:

A- it was installed or set up wrong

B- it was not strong enough

c- it was wore out & needed replaced anyway

You could add a "D"- you done something stupid, but that would still fall under A, B, or C.

I see these rear ends being blown in assorted pieces all the time but usually in 2wd pullers with at least 600HP. it usually happens on a "bite'n" track in the 6500lb. class with the front wheels off the ground.
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote