The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
luvbowties

Question Hood Locks

Let's hear/see about making a simple, (undetectable if possible), secure hood lock for our 60-66's? The simple locks for our '55 cars will not readily work on this '66 C10. In our area, it isn't uncommon to come out and find someone oogling with your hood up. Never had anyone pulling parts, but to me, I'd almost rather they fiddle with my toothbrush...
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Hood Locks

Here are some earlier threads that might prove helpful:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=hood+lock

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=hood+lock
Old 12-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Big Fenders

Thanks to Mark I have two projects with his style hood locks...cheap..simple and effective..
Thanks to Mark
Bob
Big Fenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
luvbowties

Question Re: Hood Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fenders View Post
Thanks to Mark I have two projects with his style hood locks...cheap..simple and effective..
Thanks to Mark
Bob
...and they are? Got a description or a pic?
Thanks Bob,
Sam
Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Here’s a cut and paste from the links above:

Here's how I lock mine. Pretty simple and cheap. Just pop the hood and there's enough slack to lock or unlock. The bracket has a 90 degree bend that attaches under the nearest striker bolt, which is a 2" allen button head with a nyloc nut. If someone wanted to unbolt it they'd be there for a while.

I had to check, it's been a long time. Seems I drilled a hole in the inner hood support panel above and behind the latch, then attached the chain with a long bolt. This allows the chain to hang in just the right location. On the other side, I double nutted the bolt, the second nut being a Nylok. Like the bolt on the grille support, it would take a long time and be very difficult to detach either connection with the lock in place.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Hood Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Here’s a cut and paste from the links above:

Here's how I lock mine. Pretty simple and cheap. Just pop the hood and there's enough slack to lock or unlock. The bracket has a 90 degree bend that attaches under the nearest striker bolt, which is a 2" allen button head with a nyloc nut. If someone wanted to unbolt it they'd be there for a while.

I had to check, it's been a long time. Seems I drilled a hole in the inner hood support panel above and behind the latch, then attached the chain with a long bolt. This allows the chain to hang in just the right location. On the other side, I double nutted the bolt, the second nut being a Nylok. Like the bolt on the grille support, it would take a long time and be very difficult to detach either connection with the lock in place.

Thanks, Mark; I PROMISE I looked at those links you provided earlier, was actively looking for one you might have posted, and missed it. Sorry! But thanks for not giving up on me.
BTW: I like the looks of your idea better than any I've seen. It's what I wanted: simple yet effective; and w/practice it can be hurriedly opened in case of under-hood fire. Hope I can return an idea some time.
Sam

PS: I have been having problems accessing our forum site due to an "Attack Page warning" popping up saying "this site may do harm to your computer". Can, sometimes only, access it and maybe open a post or 2, and it happens again; sometimes will not even go to site; sometimes hits as I try to submit a post--after typing up a reply. Should any others face such and are using Firefox 17, it is a problem with FF 17; go to Internet Explorer, and it has so far worked for me the latter part of today. According to a F'Fox Forum I joined just to question this problem, the new F'Fox 18 addresses and eliminates this bug and is due to debut in January. Hope this helps others.
Sam