The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
Skunksmash

Thin vent window seals?

I recently replaced my vent window seals and well... I have to say I'm not impressed. They're the exact same ones that you can still find at some of the dealerships here and there. Can't remember who the manufacturer is but they're somehow thicker than the originals. By a lot.

Got the old ones off and they just fit better. And you can just tell by looking at them that they're not the same part. The new ones fit ok I guess, but you can tell they're some kind of aftermarket. But, its what GM ok'd for some other company to produce, so I thought it would be my best shot. Anyone else do this job somewhat recently? If so what seals did you find? I ended up having to use clear silicon to go over the leaky areas. I kind of peeled back the new rubber and put it behind there so it wouldn't show.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
875.3CHEVY

Re: Thin vent window seals?

i used precision that i got from gmcpauls fit good.theres 3 different seals.make sure you got the right ones for your vent windows
875.3CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
UATahoe

3? I thought there was just a one piece style and a 2 piece? I just replaced mine and they are awful. The wind noise is horrible. I have an 87 R10. Was told I needed the one piece. Got everything apart, 2 piece ones were installed. So I had to order the 2 pice style. Not impressed either.
Posted via Mobile Device
UATahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
875.3CHEVY

early 73-80 then late one piece or two piece.i didnt know what year his truck was.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
UATahoe

Understand totally. I am in the same boat. My Sony seal for crap. Lol. I was just hoping there was another solution. Lol. I am to the point of sealing off with silicon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
875.3CHEVY

the little lock handle has a lot to do with it.i had stacked quarters between it and the frame till i changed them out.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
UATahoe

I replaced both of them with complete new assemblies when I did the seals. Thy are really tight when you latch but there are still some major air leaks somewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 875.3CHEVY View Post
i used precision that i got from gmcpauls fit good.theres 3 different seals.make sure you got the right ones for your vent windows
THATS who it was lol. Precision ain't living up to its name. Precision ain't so precise. Big gaps everywhere, and leaks like a sieve. I'm thinking that there may be some kind of weird technique or something. Like you have to get them real good and hot with a heat gun to get them on there right.

Something they don't tell you cause they sure as hell don't bother to give any kind of instructions. They just make a seal that's 4 or 5 times thicker than the original GM piece and say it fits. Sorry rant over.

I tried the precision brand, then took it back and thought I got lucky enough to find a dealership that still had some in stock. Had GM logos all over the bag. Thought I had it made lol. Took it out... same seal. Took that back and the clerk was like "Yeah... pretty sure GM liscensed that to precision a while back". DOH!

Its taken a long time but its finally starting to sink in to my apparently thick skull. Original non liscensed OEM parts are the best! Aftermarkets are teh suck!!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
kody

i replaced mine,they were old and rotten,the wind noise is bad now.
kody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
Oklahoma_k5

Don't remember the brand I bought but they came from classic parts in KC. They work nicely. 87 blazer. Bought one piece first cause that's what was supposed to fit. They didn't ordered the two piece and the rivet tool. Rebuilt the latch using some black plastic from a lowes 1/4 inch socket package.

First time in ten years the windows haven't been siliconed shut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oklahoma_k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
Skunksmash

Sounds like the two piece might just be the way to go. Got any more info on them by chance? Perhaps its something we all need to know.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
Oklahoma_k5

When I was rebuilding the k5 I penched penny's where I could. Most places it worked out. Rubber was not a place it did. First ordered door channels and wing window from rock auto. (Dont get me wrong im normally a fan of rockauto) Windows would not go up or down. And I also got the one piece wing windows thinking they where simply an upgraded design used on the later trucks but would work on any wing window. That is not the case. Ordered the window channel and two piece wing from classic. Windows work great now.

My doors: one was on my 87 and a 90 from the scrap yard. Which by the book should have been one piece.

Only tip I really have is that it helps to start rolling the lip on the rivets with a punch before using the rivet setting tool.

Try holiday12 at checkout with classic for 10% off till midnight on the 26th.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oklahoma_k5 is offline   Reply With Quote