The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Buzzman

Speedo help please!

Hey There,
My speedometer continues its quest to drive me insane with its clicking and bouncing around. When I originally got the truck, it was hooked up for cruise with the two cables. Speedo didn't work. So I went with the single cable setup (lubed properly with liquid graphite - it's not the cable). It worked fine for a while, but when the weather turned cold, the clicks began. Tried greasing up the dash end, but that didn't help. So I picked up a used speedo on ebay, hooked it up to the cable without intalling it and it worked fine, but when I actually put it in the dash, the clicking started again. So it's not the cable, and I don't think it's the driven gear in the tranny. That leaves something in the dash - maybe the retainer clip is messing it up? Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Thanks!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
notallthere

Re: Speedo help please!

The original one in mine did the same thing especially in the winter until some oaf decided to take apart the dash and clean it up. I broken the needle off. My replacement was one from an 84 and it is quieter and more stable. It could be just the older ones that get worn out.
notallthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

When mine did the "jumping" there was no "clicking", but it turned out to be the speedometer. If your replacement one worked for a while and suddenly messed up then I am leaning toward BOTH of your used speedos are bad. The newer one may have worn out shortly after you installed it. Ironically me "new" speedometer came out of a 1976 truck and replaced a 1981 speedo and works great.
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Buzzman

Yeah, the "newer" one could have been shot, too. It had 17k on the odometer, so who knows, that might be 217k for all I know. Maybe I'll just spring for an acutal "new" one ($110) from RockAuto.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
BsNhusker

Mine has a chirping sound and it bounces till you get above 10 mph and then it just continues to chirp faster as I drive faster when it's cold. Was leaning towards the speedometer myself. Thinking about rebuilding the whole insterment cluster since lmc has that factory looking tach now.
Posted via Mobile Device