The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Juspassinthru

Exclamation Need clutch adjustment help

I need a bit more clutch adjustment , grinds a bit goin from first to second. My truck is a 66 lwb with a 3 speed on the column still. How do I adjust my clutch? It's not chattering yet but don't want it to. Thanks fellas!
Posted via Mobile Device
Juspassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: Need clutch adjustment help

When you have the clutch peddle pushed all the way to the floor, how far does it come up before the truck starts to move? I question that because typically if the clutch is not disengaging(releasing), it will be hard to shift into any gear. How much free play do you have? meaning, how far can you push the clutch pedal in from the top before it feels like it is actually disengaging the clutch?

There is an adjustment under the truck where the adjustment rod contacts the throw out bearing fork. It will be threaded with a lock nut. You can make the adjustment rod longer or shorter depending on what you need.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Juspassinthru

My pedal comes up pretty far before truck moves , which way do I adjust it to get "more" clutch?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juspassinthru View Post
My pedal comes up pretty far before truck moves , which way do I adjust it to get "more" clutch?
Posted via Mobile Device
You prolly need a new clutch if it comes up 1/2 or more. Might be able to adjust the linkage a bit but it should engage fully in the first 1/3 of pedal travel up from the floor. Also, if grinding on the 1 to 2 shift, it prolly ain't the clutch, its prolly a worn out syncro in the trans between those two gears. Consider its old and prolly in need of some maintenance from clutch to trans.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Juspassinthru

Ive always felt chatter on a clutch that was "bad" this one has no chatter at all, i would hate to think I have no adjustment left before just replacing the clutch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Prolly need to try the adjustment on the pushrod then...unless its a hydrolic clutch, can't tell ya how to adjust that type. But, just cause there is no chatter dosn't mean its not worn out. Worst case, pull the trans and clutch pack for an inspection and go with yer gut. If yer down to rivits or close, it needs replaceing anyway. From your description, an adjustment may buy ya some time but when the engagement gets in the top half, the clutch disk is usually pretty close to done.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Post #4 on this old thread may prove helpful:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=265037
Old 12-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Yes, post number 4 on the link in markeb01 post explains the adjustment well. There are a couple of ways to get the end result.

The free play is the most important thing. It needs to be 1 3⁄8 –1 5⁄8 in as mentioned.

I believe you need to make the rod shorter to get it closer to the floor but again it is the free play that you should worry about.

If the pedal comes up that far then I don't think the clutch is your 1st - 2nd problem.

Chatter is usually caused from an overheated flywheel and they get warped like a brake rotor. You can put a new clutch disc and pressure plate on a flywheel that chatters and have good clutch performance. Typically it is a good idea to have the flywheel resurfaced when replacing a clutch assembly.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote