The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
harley rider

bed wood without metal strips anyone done it?

getting ready to redo the bed wood in a 67 .looking for pics of beds with out the metal strips.I dont mean just covered with ply wood. not looking for lessons on how wood expands and that is why the metal is there .I know how to deal with that. just wanted to see if any one else has done this.
harley rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Re: bed wood without metal strips anyone done it?

Should be pictures on Mar-Ks website. They sell a kit that has hidden strips. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Are you looking for something cheap? I used treated deck boards for my bed. No strips.

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
WadmalawJoe

I'm in the middle of doing my bed and I haven't decided how I am going to do mine. I am leaning towards doing it without the strips for a cleaner look. I am thinking I would have to drill some extra holes in the cross sills and run short screws up from under the truck bed and just have only the perimeter bolts showing.
I am buying the wood from a local lumberyard and milling it down to fit.

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
BAT
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
Should be pictures on Mar-Ks website. They sell a kit that has hidden strips. WES
Actually the Mar-K option is for hidden hardware, the steel strips are still there.
BAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
harley rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadmalawJoe View Post
I'm in the middle of doing my bed and I haven't decided how I am going to do mine. I am leaning towards doing it without the strips for a cleaner look. I am thinking I would have to drill some extra holes in the cross sills and run short screws up from under the truck bed and just have only the perimeter bolts showing.
I am buying the wood from a local lumberyard and milling it down to fit.
that is my plan too. what kind of wood are you using? any extra holes in the cross sills will need to be sloted as well as the holes in the wood around perimiter,to alow for expantion of the wood. I will probably tonque and groove the boards and cut grooves in the under side to help control cupping of the wood.I will probably use yellow pine or white oak .
Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
SS Tim

Here is a bed I found looking for Longhorns. Really can't see the benefit of eliminating the strips they do a lot to tie the bed together.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
biggestjohn

In my opinion, a bed with out strips is going to be a large bland panel with out contrast to break it up.

If you want to do something different, make strips out of Ebony, or some other different shade of wood.

Or you could do what I'm doing..............

my two cents.............

.......every time I screw up, I learn something. Needless to say, I'm learning all the time............

Last edited by biggestjohn; 12-27-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: tease
biggestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
harley rider

Or you could do what I'm doing..............

my two cents.............[/QUOTE]

what are you doing?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
harley rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Here is a bed I found looking for Longhorns. Really can't see the benefit of eliminating the strips they do a lot to tie the bed together.
all the metal strips do is hold the edges down and allow for expantion of the wood.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

Subscribing. I too like the rough look without bed strips and was planning on doing the same thing on a two inch raised bed. I also wanted to somehow add a piano hinge across so I could lift a section up to access the air ride stuff underneath. I thought of adding three or four aluminum strips across the bottom to tie everything in but am worried about dirt and gunk building up on top of them. I never thought of the wood expanding and contracting, but the porch I built off the back of my house hasn’t buckled yet and it’s pretty well secured.

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
harley rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencvn72 View Post
Subscribing. I too like the rough look without bed strips and was planning on doing the same thing on a two inch raised bed. I also wanted to somehow add a piano hinge across so I could lift a section up to access the air ride stuff underneath. I thought of adding three or four aluminum strips across the bottom to tie everything in but am worried about dirt and gunk building up on top of them. I never thought of the wood expanding and contracting, but the porch I built off the back of my house hasn’t buckled yet and it’s pretty well secured.
your wood deck is not surounded by steel. it may not be buckling but it is moving.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley rider View Post
your wood deck is not surounded by steel. it may not be buckling but it is moving.
So how do strips differ from just having a gap in the planks?

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencvn72 View Post
So how do strips differ from just having a gap in the planks?
For the most part the bed boards are clamped by the strips to the crossmembers. In places there are backing washers to allow the clamping effect. The strips also prevent bowing of the boards the length of the bed and help prevent cupping by allowing the boards to contract and expand width-wise while maintaining a clamping load. Finally they help prevent damage to the wood surface from scrubbing loads by being the highest part of the bed as a rub rail.
Doing away with the strips will require an alternate method of board retention to cope with thermal and moisture related expansion activity. In addition spreading the loads to adjacent boards to reduce point loading needs to be addressed. Plus this method must locate the boards to keep the bed square and firmly attached to the chassis during torsion, positive and negative loadings.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #15
WadmalawJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley rider View Post
that is my plan too. what kind of wood are you using? any extra holes in the cross sills will need to be sloted as well as the holes in the wood around perimiter,to alow for expantion of the wood. I will probably tonque and groove the boards and cut grooves in the under side to help control cupping of the wood.I will probably use yellow pine or white oak .
I think I will be using yellow pine, do to my budget restrictions, it's a 1/3 the price of oak here in the Charleston SC area. I have called all around.
Instead of doing slotted holes I may just drill the holes just large enough to allow movement without the screw head pulling through.
It's not really surrounded by steel, there is a gap between the end of the cross members and the outside side wall of the bed. The front panel of the bed isn't all that stout, the rear crossmember is the most rigid.
I think if the boards are tongue and groove I think they will work together to distribute the load weight. Also, I wouldn't jam them together to tight, maybe leave them a little loose to help with expansion and contraction.

my two cents!

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
harley rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadmalawJoe View Post
I think I will be using yellow pine, do to my budget restrictions, it's a 1/3 the price of oak here in the Charleston SC area. I have called all around.
Instead of doing slotted holes I may just drill the holes just large enough to allow movement without the screw head pulling through.
It's not really surrounded by steel, there is a gap between the end of the cross members and the outside side wall of the bed. The front panel of the bed isn't all that stout, the rear crossmember is the most rigid.
I think if the boards are tongue and groove I think they will work together to distribute the load weight. Also, I wouldn't jam them together to tight, maybe leave them a little loose to help with expansion and contraction.

my two cents!
ok maybe not surrounded. wood moves side to side across the grain not length wise, the wood is bolted to the inner panel of the bed. and if the holes in the wood are not slotted it could buckle .I would make the joints in the field tight so that the entire floor moves together and moves under the steel. I will also keep the boards under 4 inches wide. I have been a wood worker for over 30 years and have built many things that spend there whole life out doors. there is a lot of tricks to control movement of wood when attached to steel structures that dont move the same as the wood. oak costs a lot more here in kansas too.I have a wood shop and have a lot of leftovers of both, mostly that some one else payed for, I will probably use what ever I have the most of .
Old 12-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #17
WadmalawJoe

I'm leaning back to oak, I found 4 boards up in my barn loft today. They are left over from some job I must have done a few years ago.