The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Are we getting to that point yet?

Are we getting to that point yet?

For example;

I have a hood that isn't quite usable, but it isn't worthy to be tossed either.
I have a grill support that is pretty dented on one side, but really nice on the other.
I have a radiator support that's in nice shape, but someone cut the metal rods out that make an 'X' through the center. Mine on my 65 is rusted at the mounts, but the 'X' is intact - I'm going to combine the two to make one nice one.

Alan'sClassic did this with a hood.

We see people posting WTBs (in the classified section of course) of cab patches, like; across the front just above the windshield. Firewall pieces for areas that have hacked up by some previous owner.
I myself have used quite a bit off a wasted rusted out donor cab that I picked up last year.

We also read of repo parts not fitting correctly.

I guess what I'm asking, is;
Are we to the point that we should be cutting out good portions of our otherwise wasted body parts and listing them in the classifieds?

<<disclosure - do not post in this thread that you want to buy or sell something along the lines of these body part portions. do not private message myself or another member about any of these parts that may get mentioned - the rules state that these are to be handled through the classified section only>>
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
glos55

Re: Are we getting to that point yet?

Well........I think we are defintely at a point where we don't want to throw any part of these trucks away and save everything we can! Orig. parts will dry up sooner or later. Patch panels? Well as always its supply and demand, if there is a large enough demand someone will supply it, lets hope the quality of the part improves with the demands.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Well, at the same time, people don't want junk cabs and hoods laying around.
So I was thinking we could start talking about common portions that could be cut out and saved.
I know that member pdxhall was once looking for that outer portion of the floor vents. I think it's call the cowl. That portion is commonly rusted out. Also, ChiefRocka was looking for the portion across the top of the cab just above the windshield.
And then the front lower lip of the hood.
I mean if the hood is totally shot, and that front lower lip section is rust free, cut it out and scrap the rest.
I overlooked this portion recently on a guy's total out 65. Sheesh! he would of gave it to me because the hood was totally crushed on one side from the accident he was in. The crushed hood was in his pile to be scrapped.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
TehNewGuy

Glos55 said it well. I just picked up that gutted truck in hopes that I can use some of the pieces and then what I can’t use fine someone else that can, whether it’s the full item or part of a full item. I honestly would rather have a piece of the original part to patch in then an entire aftermarket part I pay 2x or 3x times more for and have to worry about it fitting... (Horror Stories)

Oh and as for large amounts of rusted items sitting around... I’m glad my small yard won’t allow me to do this (plus the wife), plus I live in Miami... rust grows by the minute down here...
Is there not a spot we can just post up a pic of let’s say a cab and people tell us what they want off it if they even want anything? I haven’t looked at the entirety of the site yet but I thought we could do that.

I’m still new and learning at this though…

Last edited by TehNewGuy; 12-28-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: slow computer...
TehNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
dougf

Well, I think we are close to that point. I think in another 10-15 years its going to be almost impossible to find rust free cabs, dent free fenders, etc... Heck, its pretty hard right now actually. Thats one of the reasons I got my '66. I'm 30, with my job I dont have much time at all to work on it, a few hours a week at most, but if I waited another 10 or 20 years to pick one up when I had more time I would probably be paying a lot more than I did. If you love these trucks and know for a fact you want another, and have the room I would be picking up hoods, cabs, beds, whatever I could find for that time in the near future were its going to be quite difficult to find. Just my two cents. Take care.
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
joedoh

I dont see these trucks ever approaching the collectability of the muscle cars of the same vintage, so there will always be a big market for rust free parts that actually fit instead of repops.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have been to that point for a year or so. I am picking up every part I can, as long as it has at least something useable on it. Around here I am having a hard time getting people to understand that just because a part, be it a fender, door or cab, is a bit rusted, or dented, don't just scrap it. Luckily I do have a little room to keep some of these parts.

This summer I had been talking with a local guy that was building one truck out of a '62 and a '64. I was just a couple days late asking him about the cab he wasn't going to use. He said, "Oh, I took it to work and smashed it with the excavator, it had some rust in the floors"
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
KJSR

I was pretty heavy into VW's back in the 90's and threw some junk away that is worth a mint now....it all comes around. Im lucky enough to have 5 acres and I can store stuff without room concerns. If you have the room. store as much as you can. The way scrap is going these days finding og stuff will be like finding stuff for my 36'.....few and far between....
1965 Chevrolet K10 Suburban
1969 Chevrolet C10
1937 Plymouth P4
KJSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:29 AM   #9
blazins10

ok guys i agree , in a month or so ill have basically a whole body getting tossed since im making 63 shorty out of 2 trucks , ill be happy to cut it up and give some stuff out before it goes to scrap
Posted via Mobile Device