The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
yellow400ex05

some snow pictures of my '66

Have a little snow storm going on here in the garden state and i figured I'd snap a couple pictures.

yellow400ex05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
gmcdeadhead

Re: some snow pictures of my '66

mine did not leave the barn. no snow on this truck[IMG][/IMG]
gmcdeadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Nice Shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow400ex05 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
gmcdeadhead

it's snowing here in branchburg , i dont no how you let your truck sit out like that.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Someone left a matress on your hood!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
yellow400ex05

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcdeadhead View Post
it's snowing here in branchburg , i dont no how you let your truck sit out like that.
i know it sucks having it sit out in the weather, but its my daily driver, I leave my '57 Chevy in the garage.

don't worry there's plenty of wax on the paint and polish+wax on the chrome.

i really wish i had a 300 dollar beat up car to take out, but it would defeat the purpose of having a truck when it still is going to sit out in the weather no matter what. i like these older cars too much than to just have one, so i bought the truck to daily drive. i know some of you think i should be shot, but you only get one shot to enjoy the classics, and why not start young. it was a one owner since '67 just 93k miles ALL original truck with not a spec of rot, it does kill me believe me., I'm nuts you can say it haha.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I recommend a Costco Carport for a little over $200.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
harpo1313

having a few of these trucks over the years up here in the northeast that have been left out in the elements i know a few things to aid the watershed in a few areas,first is the drip rails.all of mine although aged seemed to be lacking enough seam seal in them from the factoryand what is there is hard and cracked.dig it out and seam seal again covering completly the spotwelded metal seam and banking it high on the outer edges.,clean out drains.

second is the hood front edge holds water.afew holes to drain in the right places .a q tip with a good oil base paint to cover the open metal in your holes.
third ,the area where the cowl ,fender and inner fender meet by the hood spring.water settles there to ,best to look at it while wet and youll see where weep holes are helpful
.lastly the antenna hole up behind the glovebox.hope this helps. and yes i am biased
Attached Images

harpo1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
yellow400ex05

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo1313 View Post
having a few of these trucks over the years up here in the northeast that have been left out in the elements i know a few things to aid the watershed in a few areas,first is the drip rails.all of mine although aged seemed to be lacking enough seam seal in them from the factory and what is there is hard and cracked. dig it out and seam seal again covering completely the spot welded metal seam and banking it high on the outer edges.,clean out drains.

second is the hood front edge holds water.a few holes to drain in the right places .a q tip with a good oil base paint to cover the open metal in your holes.
third ,the area where the cowl ,fender and inner fender meet by the hood spring.water settles there to ,best to look at it while wet and you'll see where weep holes are helpful
.lastly the antenna hole up behind the glove box.hope this helps. and yes i am biased
Where exactly on the edge of the hood does it hold water? where the hood latch is on the inside lip?

Wouldn't wax be just as efficient? as long as its just pooling water it'll just rest above the actual sheet metal. I'll have to check under the dash under the glovebox and see where your talking about

if you've got pictures illustrating where you're talking about that would be sweet!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow400ex05 View Post
you only get one shot to enjoy the classics, and why not start young.
Exactly! Enjoy them while you're able, they were made to be driven. Unless its completely original like oem4me's trucks are I say drive the wheels off them, keep everything serviced, and rebuild them as stuff wears out. I've gotten 60k miles of enjoyment out of my original paint, matching numbers, 87k mile when bought '64 VW Bug. The whole time my dad has said that it needs to be parked and preserved, but I'd sell it before I parked it. Mechanical parts can be replaced but the miles of enjoyment can't be replicated in a boring newer car.
Posted via Mobile Device
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
yellow400ex05

plus who knows how much longer we'll be able to drive these older vehicles! My truck is all original, and its going to stay primarily original, except some nice cosmetic add on's that improve on its already good looks, nothing gets sold or thrown out. sheet metal replacement is really the only thing i will dread having to do it it. i hope it takes a LONG time before i have to worry about it.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

My advise to those that drive their trucks in the snow and ice, is to do your best to keep them washed. Not just on the outside, but underneath as well. The de-icer, be it salt, mag chloride or whatever, is the most damaging to these older trucks.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #13
yellow400ex05

well i agree but its just as corrosive to a newer car it just takes longer nowadays to rot them out it seems. water pressure can only get so much salt/de icer off.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #14
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree. I have heard that soap will help neutralize the de-icer.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #15
yellow400ex05

any idea's as to what kind of soap?

i may have a shop undercoat the truck locally it costs quite a bit last time i remember $800 bucks but it'll save the underneath of the truck in the long run
Old 12-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #16
gmcdeadhead

my 66 is a semi daily driver , except when it rains and snows , then i use my car in bad weather . the wife gets mad because she cant get her vehicle in the barn cause i have my 1965 gmc truck in there also ,and there's no more room. that truck is getting restored as we speak. [1965 gmc, k1500, 4x4 , 305v6, 14,500 miles].
Old 12-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
RANDY COX

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo1313 View Post
having a few of these trucks over the years up here in the northeast that have been left out in the elements i know a few things to aid the watershed in a few areas,first is the drip rails.all of mine although aged seemed to be lacking enough seam seal in them from the factoryand what is there is hard and cracked.dig it out and seam seal again covering completly the spotwelded metal seam and banking it high on the outer edges.,clean out drains.

second is the hood front edge holds water.afew holes to drain in the right places .a q tip with a good oil base paint to cover the open metal in your holes.
third ,the area where the cowl ,fender and inner fender meet by the hood spring.water settles there to ,best to look at it while wet and youll see where weep holes are helpful
.lastly the antenna hole up behind the glovebox.hope this helps. and yes i am biased
preventative maintenance is a very good start,as you said the drip rails very bad for lettin in water in.....that's the key...
Old 12-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #18
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
My advise to those that drive their trucks in the snow and ice, is to do your best to keep them washed. Not just on the outside, but underneath as well. The de-icer, be it salt, mag chloride or whatever, is the most damaging to these older trucks.
I agree, frequent washing will definitely help slow down (but not completely prevent) rust caused by road de-icing chemicals.

In fact, those chemicals are the only reason why I don't drive my older vehicles in the winter. The roads around here are loaded with salt and it seems to wick it's way up into all the pinch weld seams and boxed in areas on the underside of a vehicle where it's nearly impossible to completely wash out. And they spread a salt & sand (actually gravel) mixture on a lot of the town & secondary roads. It helps with traction when the roads get coated with packed snow and ice but it also causes a lot of rock chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow400ex05
i may have a shop undercoat the truck locally it costs quite a bit last time i remember $800 bucks but it'll save the underneath of the truck in the long run
I've seen mixed results on vehicles that have been undercoated to protect them from rust. If applied too heavy, some undercoating can plug up factory drain/weep holes and actually accelerate the rusting process. Some types of undercoating tend to dry out and loose their bond with the underlying surface, creating sort of a void between the two that has a tendency to trap salt & moisture and also accelerate the rusting process. On the other hand, oily/waxy types of undercoating seem to work best as they tend to wick their way into pinchwelds & seams which then helps prevent the salt from doing the same. They do need touch-up or re-application every so often for maximum protection though.

By the way yellow400ex05 & harpo1313, your trucks both look a lot like my dad's 66

Last edited by ray_mcavoy; 12-30-2012 at 07:16 PM.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #19
jayoldschool

Great pics! Wish it was mine.

You need this model of your truck:

66 C10 die cast
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote