The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
brian.kannady

Great-Grandad's truck

My dad just gave me his old 67 LWB fleet that was purchased new by my great-grandfather. It is a 250 3OTT right now, and doesn't run and hasn't for 3 years or so. As far as Dad knows, the only problem with the engine is that the throttle butterfly on the carb is stuck (he seems to recall that there was a mud dobber nest on it when he first discovered the problem). It also needs a driveshaft support bushing, a battery, and two tires before it can be driven. It has (at least) rusted out outer rockers and PS cab corner, and as we all know, likely more. My budget is extremely tight for the truck right now, so I'm thinking just get it running for now, and save up some cash and do it properly later.

As far as the getting it running part (or at least getting it started), I'm thinking that I'll probably just take the carb apart and rebuild it (it was last rebuilt by me when I was 15, and I'm 34 now), drain the fuel tank and put in fresh gas (is there an easy way to do this?), change the oil, put a battery in it, and have a go at starting it. Any thoughts on a better way, or other things I haven't thought of?

My plan is to take some classes at a local vo-tech over the next couple of years to learn to do body work and address the rust issues and paint it myself rather than paying a body shop. I currently have zero experience doing body work, but it is something I'd like to learn, and I'd like to be able to do all the work myself.

Long term, I'm thinking I want to do a frame-off on it, swap in a 350 for the 250 (my plan is to move everything forward and put the V8 in the correct spot), add power steering, power brakes with front discs, and possibly AC.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of this plan, or any advice. I've loved reading this forum the past week or two, and thanks in advance for the help.
brian.kannady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
quick60

Re: Great-Grandad's truck

Wow what a conincidence I to just picked up a 67 LWB. I love the fact that it was your great-grandfathers that is awsome.

Personally. Being it was your great grandfathers, I wouldnt change a thing except maybe add power steering and do the restore you mentioned but keep it original. But thats me and there is nothing wrong with what you have laid out. Im kinda sentimental and to think Id be driving the same exact truck as my great grandfather did when he bought it new and then pass it along to my daughter. Man that would be awsome.

Good luck!!! It will be interesting to see our trucks improved upon over the next few years. We are fortunate to have this awsome forum to turn to.
quick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Congrats Brian and welcome to the forum! It's great to see new folks get
into the hobby and especially cool to see someone blessed with a family survivor.

Personally, I would find out if there's even gas in the tank and, if not, just
add some. Wire open the choke and fire that bugger as she sits! If the
engine turns out not to be good, at least you can move onto addressing that
before spending time on anything else.

Oh, and don't discount the coolness of a sexy six-banger; they are strong as
an ox and can be hotrodded just as well as a SBC.

Looking forward to pics!

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
54blackhornet

Brian, Consider this, there is an ever growing amount of people, in all forms of automotive collecting that appreciate factory original, unrestored vehicles ! I have learned myself that if you just repair things instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, you will feel better with the results and save some cash too. I have a 68 GMC, it had a 250 , now a 292 30 over, I kept the 3 on tree because I promised the original owners I would not "HOT-ROD" it. Remember it's your now, but if lucky it will out live you so keep an eye out for its future....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I disconnect the fuel line under the cab to drain. With the cap on,I blow air from the compressor to pressurize,then let it purge out. Do it a few times or until nothing much comes out. Hook it back up,pour a couple gallons of fresh gas in,and repeat the process. Then,whatever is left in the tank is as much fresh fuel as the old and when you fill with fresh that will be diluted to about nothing.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote