The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Midgets50

fuel injected on an older motor

i was watching gearz the other day and saw stacey david talking about being able to put a carb looking device in place of the current carb and the setup makes it fuel injected. does anybody know what this is called and where to find them for sale.
Midgets50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
torchlight

Re: fuel injected on an older motor

There are a few different manufacturers that I can think of. One option is the FAST EZ-EFI product - I think that's what I'll be putting in my project when it gets to engine phase.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/ezefi/default.asp
torchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
yossarian19

Thats an after market TBI setup... Kind of slick, actually. It won't perform as well as a factory multi port fuel injection, but if you don't want to swap intake manifolds & get involved in a lot of wiring, that should be a quick reliability / power / efficiency upgrade.
Cool idea.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
klutz51

there is a website call affordable fuel injection that has a complete kit for $1000 also edlebrock and holley both make it but it is twice the price
klutz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Midgets50

i havent done to much research on them but do you guys think id be able to put one on a 292 inline 6?
Midgets50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
_Ogre

can you? yes.
one word - expensive

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
torchlight

Yeah, you just need the right intake.
Posted via Mobile Device
torchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
NEWFISHER

I have used the Holley projection system on a couple OT builds and liked it so much that I bought another one for the Burb in case I don't like the Holley 390. I have also had a stand alone TBI set up from a 4.3 chevy that we ran on inline Jeeps and that seemed to work well to.
Posted via Mobile Device
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:46 AM   #9
1project2many

The path to EFI has as many roads as the path from old rusty truck to completed vision. I've found that adapting or using factory EFI components has worked very well over the years and can be very inexpensive. The big tradeoff is that there's more work involved and you may end up doing some of your own tuning. Some of the aftermarket companies such as Holley, FAST, Accel, and others will sell you anything from one or two components to most of the necessary parts to completely equip your truck. In between is Megasquirt, which is a DIY controller that's been released to the world for free as a set of plans and code but can be bought from various companies already assembled and ready to bolt in.

I recommend EFI to anyone who will consider it. Properly assembled and tuned it will give you years of trouble free operation. I installed EFI on my truck back in '92 when retrofitting was still a big deal using parts I'd obtained for free and nearly free from guys throwing them away because they only knew how to build power with carbs. I've had few troubles with it over the years and I love being able to connect the battery and start it every spring without worrying about what's failed while it's been down for the winter. I've done quite a few retrofits over the years since then for myself and others with plenty of success.

What you need to decide is how technical you want to get. The two most difficult hurdles are the intake manifold plus throttle body configuration and the fuel tank. I'd look for an intake manifold that allows a single 2bbl or two 1bbl throttle bodies, either with or without adapters. The fuel tank really needs to be setup with baffles to prevent fuel sloshing from causing power loss at low fuel levels. You'll also need a wiring harness and sensors. Buying a harness can be expensive so many people opt to DIY and modify a used harness. It's not hard but it can be intimidating, especially if you're afraid of wiring work. Installing sensors is generally the least difficult task but there can be small challenges to even this part of the job so it helps to be creative.

I know there are a few conversion stories to read on the stovebolt site, and there are plenty of interesting conversions on gearhead-efi including a guy that's selling Corvair conversions with distributorless ignition and dual one barrel throttle bodies. The Megasquirt site has members worldwide and they always seem to be answering basic questions without getting frustrated. Decide how technical you want to get, find a site with guys that like EFI projects and don't mind answering questions, and start doing some research. Then post pictures when you're done with the swap.

This is my 302 in my '57 retrofitted to crossfire injection as it appeared in the early part of last summer.
Attached Images

1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 AM   #10
NEWFISHER

1project2many.....kudos to you for running crossfire. When it works, it flat get with the program. Most tuner, electrical techs etc gave up on it in 84 as it was so radically different than carburation and difficult to wrap their heads around.

Megasquirt is great once you have spent hours programming it or leaving it with a shop that understands it . Mabey its better now, but ten years ago there wasnt alot of tuners succesfully using it here. I have an 86 1st generation 4 cyl 4runner that I swapped a 1999 3.4 Tacoma motor into back in 2000 and then supercharged it. Nobody had done this swap in my area and the factory ecu wasn't keeping up with cobra fuel system, lexus V8 injectors and 13 lbs of boost. I had a megasquirt system installed and it was months of fine tuning everyday after work. In the end its a rocket ship, flawless in every gear at every RPM, just a long road to get there. For a basic inexpensive system, I swapped wrecking yard TBI onto my old 82 Suburban using factory harness, intake(had to weld and redrill inner bolt holes, you can buy an aftmkt swap intake now for 350 motor), tbi, fuel pump, tank, lines etc and paid $200 to pull it myself so I could keep all of the fasteners, ties, etc for the swap. Had it running in a weekend with the ALDL connector, led light for check engine and welded in a bung for the O2. Still running today as our Snowboard/Mountain runner.

Last edited by NEWFISHER; 01-01-2013 at 03:39 AM.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
mr48chev

I've a friend who primarily does tune up work in his shop who has lost track of the number of earlier vehicles he has switched over to efi. He usually uses the tuned port setups on the ones he does.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
1project2many

Tuned port is a great system for a truck as it produces gobs of low end torque. For similar results with the 292 a person could design or locate a long runner intake similar to old Chryco slant sixes and later EFI equipped Jeep engines, then combine it with a low end cam to build an engine that would pull stumps in three gears. The rear could be re-geared to a numerically lower ratio such as a 3.23 to produce some good fuel economy numbers on the highway and there's a chance it could still break the tires free while maintaining a nice, quiet sound.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #13
1project2many

Arrgh... Double post and can't find a delete button.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #14
mobileortho

I looked at TBI units at first but decided to go with TPI. If you shop around a bit, you can find some good deals on used units.You can routinely find them on Ebay and Craigslist for a reasonable price.

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote