The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
rs74

Who makes the best fitting bed sides?

I am looking at a 86 Shortbed 4x4 and the drivers rear bed side is dented in. I figure that is would just be better to replace the whole bed side rather than to try and fix what is there. It is dented in the body line crease. I don't want to have to pull it out and put in filler.

So who makes the best bed sides. My body guy said he can get some for about $3-400. I don't know what kind they are though. He said he can get bolt in or weld in.

On a second issue. I would want to get all the side moldings for all the way around the truck and also the Silverado bands that go on the back of the cab and wrap around. Where can I get these. Thanks.

On the trim I want all the trim that the blue truck has that the gray one don't.
Attached Images

rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Firebirdjones

Re: Who makes the best fitting bed sides?

I always got my bedsides through GM but it's been several years since I've redone a square, may not be available anymore.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
I always got my bedsides through GM but it's been several years since I've redone a square, may not be available anymore.
I wondered about that but had not checked. I assumed that they did not. I do have new GM doors and fenders still sitting in boxes though. That would just about finish off all the sheet metal on a truck.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
rs74

Any ideas about the trim?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
LEEVON

I have reproduction bedsides, they get a pass with the casual observer but if you're picky you will notice. They are not piss poor quality, but they leave alot to be desired. I would recommend going on the hunt for original ones. The repros are ALL made overseas, and none of them are of the quality that we're seeing now in some of the 67-72 parts. They're thin, and the body lines aren't perfect. The top rails will dent if you put your knee on them. I'm keeping my eyes open for a replacement set of original bedsides just so I can retire these. I talked with MAR-K about US made bedsides...they confirmed what I already knew they, they don't exist. The demand is just not there for somebody to invest in the tooling, equipment, facilities, and labor to make them here.

And here's the best price on the molding, keep in mind this is a half roll. They sell full rolls too:

http://www.mrtaillight.com/product_i...roducts_id=698

You need to buy the corner pieces from a supplier or get good used ones.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
I wondered about that but had not checked. I assumed that they did not. I do have new GM doors and fenders still sitting in boxes though. That would just about finish off all the sheet metal on a truck.
It's been several years, but the last 77 I restored I bought everything through GM. Doors, fenders, hood, and bedsides. It was cheap too considering that even a small rust spot wasn't worth the labor, and was more cost effective to buy new metal.

I'd guess it's all long gone by now though. Might be worth checking for giggles.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
It's been several years, but the last 77 I restored I bought everything through GM. Doors, fenders, hood, and bedsides. It was cheap too considering that even a small rust spot wasn't worth the labor, and was more cost effective to buy new metal.

I'd guess it's all long gone by now though. Might be worth checking for giggles.
OEM are no longer available unless you find them from a private buyer or a shop that may have some onhand.

The repro's are poor at best, often dinged up and the tail lights did not fit at all in the tubs on mine....plus the wheel tubs do not fit exactly either and the tacked on nuts are WAY TOO EASY to break off.

If your bed sides are at all fixable, I'd reccomend looking hard at doing that.

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
LEEVON

Ditto on the tailights not fitting.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
kalbert

"Who makes the best fitting bedsides?"

More like "Who makes the only bedsides?" as I am fairly certain there is only one place stamping them out and putting them in different boxes.

I agree with those that say to try and fix what you have. That or scour the salvage yard for fixable parts. I've had ok luck with aftermarket fenders, and even doors, but bed sides for some reason are magnets for dings anyway and the aftermarket ones are just to thin. Aftermarket tailgates too... can usually be folded up and tossed in the trash like a pie tin.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
Squareforceone

I don't know how far into Illinois you live but i saw this on des monies craigslist the other day seems like a good deal depending on how far away you are i bet gas would be cheaper or about the same for what you'd pay for an aftermarket bed side and this way you'd get a factory original. http://desmoines.craigslist.org/pts/3440124308.html
Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
rs74

Thanks everyone. Not sure if I am going to get the truck yet or not. It might just be easier if I cut out the section needed out of an 85 long bed that I have. That way I get the right gauge metal and it is a factory panel.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
Thanks everyone. Not sure if I am going to get the truck yet or not. It might just be easier if I cut out the section needed out of an 85 long bed that I have. That way I get the right gauge metal and it is a factory panel.
That's the route I take here on some of the higher end cars where correct date coded panels are a concern and need to be saved.