The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
jocko

would you put this truck on ebay with a $5K start price and no reserve??

I wouldn't. Obviously worth much more than the starting bid (even though I do not think (personally, just my opinion) that it's a Cheyenne Super, has some obvious shortcuts to Super-ness). The seller will probably/hopefully get what he wants, but YIKES, kinda dangerous... Unless of course there is a pre-arranged shill bidder. Did I just say that out loud? Nice truck, I do hope he gets a fair price for it and doesn't get hosed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...item4d086aba6b

EDIT: just noticed the SPID - just a base model Custom. But I do applaud the seller for posting the SPID. Description is very misleading - clearly not a factory 4x4 Cheyenne Super... I do wish he'd left the Custom Camper stuff on it!!!! (but I'm partial to Custom Campers). Also looks to be a cab or frame swap or something like that - VIN is a CC not CK.

Last edited by jocko; 01-04-2013 at 08:06 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
rsavage

Re: would you put this truck on ebay with a $5K start price and no reserve??

Beautiful truck. I wouldn't risk it either in a no reserve auction in this economy.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
truckster

It looks like it's nicely done, but my eye kept wandering back to those wheels. They just don't look right for that truck.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Nice truck!
It looks a little odd with just the midsection being white (and not the roof also)
And those wheels would have to go.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
CrewCab59

The time and money but those wheels look bad .

The no reserve doesn't mean much anymore,the listing can end at anytime and in a few weeks it will be back up.
1971 Chevy CST Blazer 4x4
1971 Chevy C/10
1970 Cab Chassis C30 157"
1971 Cab Chassis Custom 30 Deluxe 157" 292/4spd ( Napco Replica )
1988 Chevy V30 4x4 wrecker challenger 4812
CrewCab59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
WIDESIDE72

The pitfalls of building the truck you want (to keep) and building a truck to sell... A quick trip to the paint shop and a few hundred $$$ could fix the cab top color problem. Same goes for wheels. Some old school slots would look sweet on there...
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

No reserve doesn't mean the same on eBay as it does in a real auction because of a sentence like the one used by the owner of the truck in question - "We reserve the right to remove this listing due to on-site sales."

Another reason not to sweat a whole lot is because there are a lot of savvy buyers out there that aren't going to let a smoking deal to get by them.

Savvy buyers aren't going to be fooled by shill bidders either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
tobytuttle

Good looking truck, lotta money in restoration.....one thing that always stands out though is when people dont let the upper rear molding follow the bodyline on the rear of the bed..... and run it strait, to me thats important that it tapers like it should, allthough the worst for me is a pair of SS emblems on a chevelle crooked or in the wrong spot, or upside down
76 454 Dually 2x
75 454 K5
77 468 Kona

Last edited by tobytuttle; 01-04-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: text
tobytuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
Rust_phoenix

It is a very nice truck, but whoever installed the upper trim on the bed did exactly what i did, and put it about 1" or so too high. it doesn't match the tail light trim. you can see they had to kinda angle the white paint down to blend it in at the rear. but not a deal breaker IMHO.
Attached Images

Rust_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #10
jocko

yep - I didn't notice that at first - toby pointed it out also. the more i read the description, the more it bugs me how it's kinda mis-represented as factory this and factory that -

"Very nicely restored 1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super 3/4 ton 4x4 long bed finished in GM Victory Red over Summit White paint. This is a factory equipped 4x4 Cheyenne Super ".

Yes, non-available colors, no biggee, but according to the SPID, was just a Custom 20 2WD. Anyhoo, that's just me. Sounds like a very nicely optioned Custom 20 at that - and a Custom Camper to boot. Well, the bids are off and runnin already. It's certainly worth a lot of dough-ray-me regardless of the way it's represented. Worth noting that it's a euro car lot selling it, so they probably have no idea what anything on the SPID means anyway. Glad they (whoever built it) didn't scrap the SPID. I'm assuming the frame VIN doesn't match the cab/SPID VIN, at a minimum. And that doesn't matter. Cool truck, I look fwd to seeing how this plays out, if it sells, how much, etc.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #11
black_sheep454

I would have painted the roof white also, and the wheels wouldn't look as bad if the centers weren't white. Beautiful truck and I hope it brings what he wants.
Posted via Mobile Device
1988 chevy 1-ton crew cab 2wd waiting for a 12v cummins
black_sheep454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #12
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

First thing I'd do is go out and get it muddy. Never understood restorations on 4X4's.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
rpatowers

I wish I had the money to do a frame-off restoration on my 72 4 x 4.

This truck is beautiful. It's all a matter of personal preference, but I think this is a great truck which I hope will bring top dollar.
rpatowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #14
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_sheep454 View Post
I would have painted the roof white also, and the wheels wouldn't look as bad if the centers weren't white. Beautiful truck and I hope it brings what he wants.
Posted via Mobile Device
A set of swap meet stock chrome center caps would do wonders! I would consider painting the wheels the stock argent silver as well.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #15
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

No reserve isn't a big deal. You get your buddies to up the price to what you want and if a real buyer bites... I've never done this (I've never sold on ebay) but I know people that have.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #16
cdowns

used car dealers have thier prices set if it does not get to that price the "auction" disappears a day before it is supposed to close and then reappears a couple days later/// that truck will b bouncing around ebay for the next few years i'd bet
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
toyplumbertrucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobytuttle View Post
Good looking truck, lotta money in restoration.....one thing that always stands out though is when people dont let the upper rear molding follow the bodyline on the rear of the bed..... and run it strait, to me thats important that it tapers like it should, allthough the worst for me is a pair of SS emblems on a chevelle crooked or in the wrong spot, or upside down
I agree with you on the upper trim, it does not look right. Way to high on the front and back.
toyplumbertrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #18
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
A set of swap meet stock chrome center caps would do wonders! I would consider painting the wheels the stock argent silver as well.
^^^Amen
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Price is going up. No problem with the starting price. You price it too high to start and bidders will fear you want too much and don't bother. The lower you start,the more the frenzy builds

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
hugger6933

Did anyone notice that at the bottom of the add he said that the glove box was what had been changed and then gave some explaination as to why he had blah blah blah. I hope it brings him all of the success and joy he is hoping for out of this truck, I am just not a fan of what I feel and appaerently rightly so a misrepresented truck. Have I missed something in this post?Is this truck what it is supposed to be? Now the one that know me on here mostly know that I am a car dealer but ihave rather and have many many time run off a possible sale either because I did not want to sell a hot rod to a kid or a toy to a teen trying to talk his parents into something or telling mom that that 350 IROC is not that fast. I want to be able to look at my customers cuase I see them in the grocery store the parts tore at church and school just anywhere and I need to be able to look them direct in the eye to be able to do what I do. I kinda feel bad for those who dont feel the same way but.. Any aways rant off is this truck just been built different than the SPID of what? Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #21
klmore

Hugger you are not all wrong. Something is off on that truck.

The awful wheels aside. When I have done frame off resto's in the past the frame, bed floor rails, and rear end were not painted at the same time. The rear end, springs, blocks, and U bolts were all painted together. Its a nice truck, but the devil is in the details. It appears to be a decent restoration, but buyers need to be careful of the rattle can restorations.

It does also say this is a driver quality under carriage, so I don't think the seller is trying to mislead anyone. Just my opinion.

2011 Range Rover HSE
2010 E 63 AMG
2013 GL 63 AMG
klmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #22
John H.

i have seen the truck in person. It is a nice put together truck. I ask them about the spid difference and he said ," the truck guys don't care if it is a real Cheyenne Super."

It was on Ebay a number of months ago under another owner and the paint shop who restored the truck ran the white around to the tailgate above the stainless on the tailgate. It looked very bad. This is why the upper trim is off on the side. This dealer had the red/white changed back as close to normal and did not move the upper moulding. Not sure if anyone remembers the truck offered in Bellingham, WA. It is offered at this dealership who listed it for $38.5k.....
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #23
Pine Bark Auto

Question Re: would you put this truck on ebay with a $5K start price and no reserve??

Could someone tell me how the upper mldgs are attached on a 71. I had assumed with metal clips in holes drilled in the bed panel. The reason I ask, after seeing the comments here about the placement, I went out and looked at my unrestored (but in dire need) 71 Cheyenne. Driver's side is high like the one shown and passenger's side is lower and more in line with the upper tailgate mldg as others have said is correct. Unless the mldgs are held on with stick-on clips, I can't imagine the factory misplacing them. The truck is solid color and I have no reason to believe they have ever been off the truck. Any comments? Chip.
Pine Bark Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #24
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Did anyone notice that at the bottom of the add he said that the glove box was what had been changed and then gave some explaination as to why he had blah blah blah.
Seller added that note on recently. I sent a msg to him on ebay and asked about originality - reason being the SPID called out a CC vice a CK. He said the gb door was swapped and he'd put a note on there - said all the other VINs matched and were CKs. Yeah, it's pretty, but, I've seen enough of this truck to skull away. Was mostly curious. He was a nice guy and helpful. But always fall on the skeptical side of life I guess.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #25
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Bark Auto View Post
Could someone tell me how the upper mldgs are attached on a 71. I had assumed with metal clips in holes drilled in the bed panel. The reason I ask, after seeing the comments here about the placement, I went out and looked at my unrestored (but in dire need) 71 Cheyenne. Driver's side is high like the one shown and passenger's side is lower and more in line with the upper tailgate mldg as others have said is correct. Unless the mldgs are held on with stick-on clips, I can't imagine the factory misplacing them. The truck is solid color and I have no reason to believe they have ever been off the truck. Any comments? Chip.
It was the topic of the day on TRUCKS! tv on Spike. It will be on there again Sunday morning, same episode - break out the DVR. Basically - on the door, 2 screws and a few spring clips. On the bedsides, a few screws + either spring clips and/or plastic retainers.