The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
PAWS 72

1/2 -3/4/Ton rear coils

I looked in LMC's catalog at the rear coils and they show the same part number for 1/2 & 3/4 TON.is that rite?The reason I asking is because I'm wanting to keep the 84 3/4. But i want to keep the 71 to fix so I can pull a little with it. 18' car hauler. I won't pull heavy but mat be a car or truck every so often.

But the wife is talking about doing some camping this summer,so don't know what to do.But I did find that 4 wheel drive Suburban yesterday and that throws a nother wrench in the fire. She told me the burb better not find its way to the house UNLESS I was ready to sell one of the others.

I asked if she was in the mix of the OTHERS.You can only guess what she said about that.I think I caught her on one of her bad days.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: 1/2 -3/4/Ton rear coils

That don't sound right. 3/4's have a higher load carrying capacity so it stands to reason the springs will be stronger. The truck arms are the same and the axle is heavier. The frames are a little bit thicker and I think even the brakes shoes are wider. Am I right?
As an alternative you might get away with installing addon airbags for use when towing with your stock setup.

She sounds like a tough negotiator. Good luck.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross

Last edited by Boog; 01-05-2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: moral support
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I just went to O Reilly Auto Parts' website and cataloged springs for a 3/4 ton. They show three options

-standard duty, constant rate Moog 6101
-heavy duty constant rate Moog 6103
-heavy duty variable rate Moog CC615

For a half ton, there are two options

-Heavy duty constant rate Moog 6101
-variable rate Moog cc603

So, yes, the standard duty rear coil spring on a 3/4 ton is the same as a heavy duty springs for a half ton.

I'd sure urge you to shop somewhere besides LMC for stuff like this though. LMC is good at making catalogs and mailing them to you. As far as customer service, product knowledge, and competitive pricing, they lack. Rock Auto will sell you genuine Moog brand parts for what LMC charges for theirs, and I very highly doubt LMC's springs are Moog quality. Any time LMC and Rock Auto have the same prices on an item, it's usually because LMC is selling an inferior brand.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

1/2 ton and std 3/4 ton use the same spring. HD-3/4 did use a heavier spring. I put a set of 1/2-3/4 ton springs into my first 71 C20 Custom Camper and they handled the 11' camper and a loaded boat without any problems. It still had a terrible ride until I put 2000#'s of sand in the back. I can't imagine how the HD springs would have been like.

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
nightmare

I'd suggest selling the 84 and 71, and buy the 4x4 'burb. then build the 'burb for pulling. the 'burb will give you more room

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
PAWS 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I just went to O Reilly Auto Parts' website and cataloged springs for a 3/4 ton. They show three options

-standard duty, constant rate Moog 6101
-heavy duty constant rate Moog 6103
-heavy duty variable rate Moog CC615

For a half ton, there are two options

-Heavy duty constant rate Moog 6101
-variable rate Moog cc603

So, yes, the standard duty rear coil spring on a 3/4 ton is the same as a heavy duty springs for a half ton.

I'd sure urge you to shop somewhere besides LMC for stuff like this though. LMC is good at making catalogs and mailing them to you. As far as customer service, product knowledge, and competitive pricing, they lack. Rock Auto will sell you genuine Moog brand parts for what LMC charges for theirs, and I very highly doubt LMC's springs are Moog quality. Any time LMC and Rock Auto have the same prices on an item, it's usually because LMC is selling an inferior brand.
I knew there was a difference but I didn't know for sure.Still can't make my mind up on the burb.

I will not buy big stuff from LMC anymore.I have done had a round with them.I just use their catalog for reference when needed.Since I'm on the board now I know there are a lot better guys to deal with and alot use what they sell.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Also IIRC the 3/4 ton trailing arms have some added bracing.It couldn't hurt to have alittle extra meat there if you need to do something because of rust or whatever.I'm pretty sure they are a direct bolt in replacement.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post

This is correct. Standard coils on 3/4 ton 2000lb same as heavy duty coils on a 1/2 ton 2000lb. Standard coils on a 1/2 ton is 1250lb while heavy duty coils on a 3/4 ton is 3000lb. This reminds me of a thread about a week ago, comparing coils ride vs leaf, without mentioning the type of coil: standard coils or optional heavy duty coils.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote