The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Gunster89

question about bagging 66

so my question is I was wondering how high they will lift I like the fact of putting the truck on the ground for a car show but because of where I drive I need the truck to be able to lift to stock height atleast is there a set up I can do to raise it that high or higher? and ive never done air bag suspention what would I be lookin at cost wise and whats some recomendations on brands parts ect I plan on budget buying my air bags say every pay buy a piece of it or should I wait and buy it all at once thx in advance for the info
oh one more question I will have to haul fire wood in this truck will I neeed speacial bags to carry the weight of a cord of wood?
Gunster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
ol_skool_chevy

Re: question about bagging 66

if you look in the top theres a opion called "search" theres 100's of guys talking about air bags....Try that if you find Nothing at all. then come back and ask..
theres alot to learn here

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunster89 View Post
so my question is I was wondering how high they will lift I like the fact of putting the truck on the ground for a car show but because of where I drive I need the truck to be able to lift to stock height atleast is there a set up I can do to raise it that high or higher? and ive never done air bag suspention what would I be lookin at cost wise and whats some recomendations on brands parts ect I plan on budget buying my air bags say every pay buy a piece of it or should I wait and buy it all at once thx in advance for the info
oh one more question I will have to haul fire wood in this truck will I neeed speacial bags to carry the weight of a cord of wood?
To be able to lift it to 'stock height' when needed from laying out is going to take some serious work....

Air bags operate within a certain pressure/height range based on the type/size of bag. Typically, you might see 5-6" of travel range from fully compressed to fully extended. Ride height is somewhere in the middle of those 2 extremes (meaning about 3" up or down from ride height).

Going from laying out to 'stock height' is alot more than that & will require something other than a 1:1 lift ratio. Easy in the rear for a truck-arm application but difficult in the front (limited space).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
Gunster89

tyvm and ive looked but I am more after my specific specs as I said I am not doing a normal air bag set up the truck when running is used to haul lots of wood I need to know if the bags can support the weight and If they can even raise that much and if so can anyone tell me exactly everything I need Im not tryin to be a dick but I do not have hours to spend searching the threads to not find the info when someone who reads this can tell me right off the bat honestly I just dont have alot of time on my hands tyvm for any help I get and I hope I dont offend anyone by saying what I said im just being honest

thx Bill
Old 01-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
creep
Registered Loser

With the right bags you can load your truck up pretty good. A friend of mine has a pair of bags off a semi in the back of his S-10. Complete overkill for his application but he did it just because he could. As for getting it to stock height that's a different story. If you want load rating you would have to put the rear bags over, or at least close to, the axle which limits lift. Making it look like a lowered truck that can still haul a load is a lot easier.

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #6
Gunster89

tyvm would hydraulics be a better application for my situation?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #7
DesertCat

Quote:
tyvm would hydraulics be a better application for my situation?
Yes. Hydraulics with bags and lift/lowering springs with air shocks... best thing going these days.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
Gunster89

well that sure sounds like a few thousand dollars?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
DesertCat

Quote:
well that sure sounds like a few thousand dollars?
Probably, hard to find a kit too. You might be better off trying to find some variable-drop spindles and inverted coils instead.

Just do a search...
Old 01-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
bk2life
Account Suspended

Quote:
so my question is I was wondering how high they will lift....I will have to haul fire wood in this truck will I need special bags to carry the weight of a cord of wood?
You can get about 10 inches of total lift. But if you are on the ground 10 inches is not stock height. Itll get you up to around a “4/6” drop. Also if you want to get on the ground you’re lookin at different tires, removing inner fender wells, and possibly tubbing the lower portion of the firewall for the tires to fit into.
There are no ‘special bags’ for loading weight. There are certain bags that can handle the weight just like there are certain tires for certain jobs.
If your rear end is designed correctly you will have no problem hooking up a 3 car gooseneck trailer and lifting it to the correct height to drive. Now if your truck can handle 40k lbs being hooked to it is another story.. but seriously you can get a million different answers on the net. Your best bet is to do some research. You said you are too lazy to do research, but it is your life on the line and others as you want to redo/redesign your entire suspension of your vehicle. Do the research. Lastly it’ll cost at least 3k for a very basic air-ride set up. Very basic.
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
Gunster89

ty and its not the fact that im too lazy I work my ass off on 3 jobs I work 7 days a week and I am trying to get alot of info at once I wanna do everything I do right thus why I ask and dont think I dont search the net ive spent 3 hours searching reading up about how to rewire my truck properly sometimes when you ask specific questions you find the answer that you missed earlier and didnt realize it since when did people call you lazy for askin a question because you dont wanna take the time lookin it up right then and there im just tryin to get all my info at once so i ask a question about one thing while im searchin the internet about a totally diferent problem with the truck im not offended by what u said im just letting you know the facts behind my reasoning ty for the info btw I am 23 and building up 4 vehicles I own right now while working 3 jobs and takin care of the family if im lazy thats a new one to me never been called that before idk how to take it lol anyways have a good night