The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
skorpioskorpio

How people sell these trucks, is it just me?

I am constantly amazed what people think is a salable feature of their trucks, especially Blazers and Jimmys. I can't tell you how many ads I see with a picture of their truck either covered in mud that looks like it was taken out and beaten to within an inch of it's life, or a half done trucks with gaudy huge rims on it. Both of these say to me that the drive train is pretty much shot on the truck, no? Add on top of that that the pictures are often taken with the top off which means the body is probably tweaked.

Now all this may be OK if it wasn't for the fact that often these trucks have sky high asking prices. IMHO unless it's done and done well any wheels over an 18" devalues a truck, any lift over maybe 3 or 4 inches is also a minus. It's one thing if you are selling this to your buddy who always wanted your truck, but to a random potential buyer, I don't think so, not me anyway. I personally would be more likely to inquire about a truck that looks like the current owner made some attempt to fix a trucks problems, even if the fixes are incomplete than someone who has spent $10K on things that could very well comprise the integrity of the truck.

Am I the only one who generally views someone else's customizations as a negative? Even if your intent is to do similar things yourself?
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
truckster

Re: How people sell these trucks, is it just me?

I would agree with most of your post, but as far as having the top off, they were made for that. In fact, the top was an option, not included in the base price. And I haven't seen a Blazer that's as fun with the top on as it is with it off.
truckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Dale99

Its all customizing, and customizing corners that vehicle into a specific market, usually devaluing it to the normal population.

Its not just our jimmys/blazers, its any car from a vette to a honda civic.
1972 Jimmy 4x4 L05,4L60E,np205http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=546364
1967 C10 L6/3tree(dads truck)
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
GMC-YA68

Your post is nothing but a bunch of rambling nonsense.

Don't look at the pictures of mud, wheels, lift kits, no tops, if they make your vagina irritated.

Build your own instead of *****ing how you don't want anyone else's....
Posted via Mobile Device

'72 Jimmy 4x4 - 5.3/4L65E/NP205 swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663780
GMC-YA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
skorpioskorpio

Thats pretty rude, I'm not talking about posts of peoples trucks on this board, I'm talking about for sale ads and the pictures people choose to try and sell their trucks. Although I didn't specifically state it I was really inferring craigslist and ebay ads. I'd post examples but out of respect for who may or may not be board members I wont.

I *am* currently looking for a Jimmy/Blazer and I *do* have every intention of doing exactly what I want to it, and I *am* willing to pay a fair price for a solid body and a straight frame. I don't consider backyard notches, donk rims, or the fact that a truck has survived being hood height in mud as value adds.

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-07-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
toyplumbertrucks

I agree with you, to much modification on a vehicle scares me off unless I can see it in person. Pictures only show you what the seller wants you to see, and if that is just a picture of a guy having fun in the mud or crushing a car, I would move on to the next ad. It is fun to watch someone else tear up their stuff, but in this economy I would not take a chance of tearing up my classic Blazer or buying someone else's abused toy. Sure those trucks still have value, but probably to a more local market. But you know what they say, "Buyer Beware". Good Thread.
toyplumbertrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I would agree with most of your post, but as far as having the top off, they were made for that. In fact, the top was an option, not included in the base price. And I haven't seen a Blazer that's as fun with the top on as it is with it off.
I was specifically referring to pictures in a for sale ad where the truck is caked in mud inside and out with the top off and was obviously proudly beaten.

Yes, the fact that the top comes off is a major plus, not arguing that, but honestly I don't think that there are a whole lot of Blazers that were not ordered with a top that still survive in any kind of desirable condition, some maybe, but not many. I see trucks being advertised without tops but I'd say at least 80% have the top as part of the deal whether the ad pics chooses to show it on the truck or not. My guess is that most survivor truck that do not have tops have lost them to damage or stress. You could order these trucks without door windows or a passenger seat but I don't think there are many of those either.

I have no problem what so ever about a truck being depicted as a fun open air vehicle in a for sale ad and that in itself doesn't say to me that it's an undesirable potential purchase. It's the fact that the seller took the top off and then provides photographic evidence in his ad that he thrashed it at some velocity over rough terrain.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Different strokes for different folks, I say. Some people just want a mud puppy, others appreciate originality. The cool thing about this hobby is seeing each individual's personality reflected in their vehicle. Good luck finding one that suits you

I apologize for the rude comments above- you don't generally run into that type of thing in this forum- it has been reported and will be handled by staff accordingly...
Posted via Mobile Device

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
fxdxharley
Just a nother gear head

I mostly agree with the original post. As a potental buyer you dont want to see it being beet on or abused. you want good photos that repesent the vehicle in its current state. Some of the "action shots" may depict a vehicles capabilties rather than abuse. but lets be honest whether it be 4x4 or 2wd and given these are over 40 years old they have been abused at least once in thier life whether the seller shows you or not. like said before "buyer beware".
71 Jimmy 4x4- future crawler/ woods rig
71 blazer (C4 2wd conv project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523589
fxdxharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Please keep this post on topic. Your opinions are appreciated as long as they don't include harsh insults.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
Pyrotechnic

Selling a customized vehicle without losing your investment is very hard, and some sellers don't get that.

Problem is, every buyer is going to show up waving the blue book in your face. You will often hear "well, even in perfect condition, it's only worth $XX,XXX so that's all I will pay." Watch Barrett-Jackson. I've seen some really NICE street rods go for a measly 10 grand, that would have cost 30 grand plus countless man hours and skill to build.

THEN, right after that, a completely stock and untouched Roadrunner Hemi Convertible goes across the lot for over a million dollars. OK, it is a very rare car....but just imagine if someone had done a custom paint job, 26" rims, and a custom interior to it? Sure it was all very expensive to do, but it didn't add a cent of worth to vehicle...in this case it absolutely DESTROYED the vehicle. There is no way it would have sold for that much being molested in such a way.

A bit of an extreme example, but my point is that often times it's best to put the vehicle back to stock, and take all the aftermarket parts of significant value and sell them separately. You will generally get more this way and it will sell faster.

You can sell a custom vehicle whole and get your money, but it takes a lot of patience and exposure. You have to find someone that absolutely loves your creation, loves that it's already done and complete, and has enough money to pay your asking price. Oh yeah, forget about Craigslist!

For me though, the joy in all this is doing it myself with my own personal touch. I prefer vehicles that are unmolested but well maintained. I'm very far from the "write the check and drive" type.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 01-07-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
skorpioskorpio

...and don't get me wrong, I have no problem with modified customized vehicles, matter of fact I'm looking for a Jimmy specifically for that and it's a fine line between not finding too much of a survivor or undoing someones tasteful restoration work and not buying into a truck that has been hacked at to the point of being structurally unsound. I also want one with an original California plate still on it, and that alone narrows the search considerably.

Like I said I want a body, frame, a decent rear diff and a sound column and don't care about much else, so that alone should suggest that I don't put a high importance on originality. However I don't want a frame full of cracks or a tub that's racked either. I do see the value in well done customs, hell restomods are getting bigger bucks at Mecums and Barrett-Jackson auctions than straight out numbers matching restorations these days, so my comments are not referring to well done customs.

A mild lift or a PB notch or this sort of thing I think does add value. Even more radical mods done well, even if not what I'm specifically looking for, I think can add value. I don't even see 4x4 to 2wd conversions as necessarily a detriment if it's done correctly. However, if you are going to go more than 6 inches in either direction and ran out of money before you finished and just hacked the rest of it together to get it on the road, you probably wasted all that money and the net value of your work in resale value is probably negative.

Then again, cars, trucks, bikes, even at some of the fat numbers that some of these vehicles get at auctions sometimes, are usually a money losing proposition. You should customize for your own desires, but it's unlikely that your desires are necessarily shared by the masses, and those desires may be in doing the project more than the end result as well. To each his own.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
truckster

No need to be rude. Some of us post here to show off our hobby, some post to get information, some post just to vent a little. As long as everyone is respectful, it's a lot of fun.

As far as the original post and my comment about the top off, if I were ever to consider selling mine, it would definitely be listed with a pic of the Blazer topless, since that was a major consideration in buying a Blazer after having owned a half dozen 64 to 72 Chevy trucks. I don't disagree that you need to carefully examine the vehicle for a tweaked body or frame, but I would do that with any vehicle I'm considering.

Still, I think if you're trying to sell something, especially if you're trying to get top dollar for it, it pays to clean it up a little. I bought a truck a few years ago, spent about 4 hours cleaning and polishing, and sold it the next day for a significant profit. The previous owner hadn't washed it in two years.

And I'm never impressed by a for sale ad when the best the seller can come up with is a cell phone pic taken at night where you can't even see the entire vehicle.
truckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
nate_g_2003

Some people don't understand what makes a vehicle valuable: its usability. Even if it is just to drive, some mods make the drivability worse. Modifications rarely add to the value of a vehicle, which I've learned first hand.

When I was trying to sell my Ranger, it took me a few weeks, despite not having major modifications. I leveled it out (via the OEM torsion bars), had OEM-size BFG ATs, a bull bar, and some custom aluminum step plates (for the stepside bed), and a repainted grill. It was my pride and joy. But it took me forever to sell, it seemed.

When I went to sell my Sierra, it was bone stock (aside from a LED CHMSL/cargo lamp (that thing ate bulbs haha)), and I had it sold in less than 24 hours.

Was it the fact it was a full-size vs mini-truck? Who knows? It just seems that stock/unmodified vehicles hold their value and sell better.
2005 Ford F150 Lariat SCrew 2WD "The Daily Driver" SOLD
1995 GMC Sierra C1500 SLE "The Daily Driver"SOLD
2003 Ford Ranger Edge 2DSC 2WD Flareside "The Daily Driver/Project"SOLD
nate_g_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #15
JJH Jimmy

Was it the fact it was a full-size vs mini-truck? Who knows? It just seems that stock/unmodified vehicles hold their value and sell better.[/QUOTE]

No, it was the fact that one was a GM and the other was f#%$ junk. lOL.
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #16
noco-k5

I'm currently dealing with this situation. I've considered selling my Blazer and after adding up all the receipts have way more than I'll ever get back. I think people that focus on cosmetic restoration and do the bare minimum mechanically tend to do ok on classic vehicles.
noco-k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:21 AM   #17
Erik V

Sounds like the OP is interested in a 2wd? A topless 2wd I doubt would have any frame distortion from being driven topless (who jumps 2wds outside of desert racing?). My Jimmy hasnt had a top on more than half his life, was thoroughly enjoyed from 71-76ish as an offroad racer and trail runner, the body was swapped onto a 2wd chassis so the frame could be made into an uber short bed pickup which was rolled once and raced a few years, and the doors still fit fine (aside from dead hinge pins and some rust in the door itself).

I agree with the FS ads depicted a mud covered wheeler being advertised as a street legal fun to drive 4X4. Sellers need to show pictures of what they're selling in the condition they're to be used for. Let the buyer decide which direction comes next.

Erik
Erik V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #18
skorpioskorpio

Well, yea the OP (me) is interested in a 2wd, but also interested in a Jimmy more so than a Blazer and I want an original blue or black CA plate, meaning that I probably have more fingers and toes than the number of those that exist. Anyway, I'm more interested in tube trailing arms, tube upper and lower control arms and coil overs, so It would be a waste to spoil an original 2wd Jimmy and then replace everything. After researching my options I'm probably going to be doing a full Porterbuilt setup including sways and tube frame cross beams with either Vette or CTS 13" brakes. I'll use the DM mild front crossmember, tubular trailing arm crossmember, tubular trailing arms and trac-bar. For this setup to really be what I want it to be the frame can't be tweaked.

Probably will be a 3"&4" drop, I plan on putting my vintage dirt bikes in the back so yes it'll have the top off a lot and a 4 instead of 5 drop in the rear will give me an extra inch of spring for the weight of the bikes. My bikes are also original blue plates and am working on an a café racer which I'm working on getting a frame with a blue plate for that as well.

Almost every car I've owned has been a GM and none were Chevys and I'd rather this not be an exception, it's kind of a running inside joke in a Chevy centric family. It's also probably going to get a '67-68 cowl hood and GMCs already have the right fenders and I like the quad lights better though I do think the Chevys have better looking grills. I plan to do one piece glass in the doors because I really want vintage bullet mirrors on it and I don't think the vent windows will really work with that, we'll see. So, no originality is not the goal, but straight and sound is, and I plan on building it as a daily driver.

I know this all may sound contradictory to my original post but in reality it really isn't, I want an uncut straight, sound body and frame and I'm not looking to do this truck with any intention of selling it anytime soon, or probably ever. I know I am going to put more in it than I'll ever get out of it, but I'd rather put money into something I know every detail about and can do what ever I want to with it, than something that ends up being a valueless throw away in 10-15 years and CA wants CARP certificates for everything I do. 1975 and older in California and you are off the grid, you can do what ever you want, you could put a turbine engine in if you wanted.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
fxdxharley
Just a nother gear head

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
Well, yea the OP (me) is interested in a 2wd, but also interested in a Jimmy more so than a Blazer and I want an original blue or black CA plate, meaning that I probably have more fingers and toes than the number of those that exist. Anyway, I'm more interested in tube trailing arms, tube upper and lower control arms and coil overs, so It would be a waste to spoil an original 2wd Jimmy and then replace everything. After researching my options I'm probably going to be doing a full Porterbuilt setup including sways and tube frame cross beams with either Vette or CTS 13" brakes. I'll use the DM mild front crossmember, tubular trailing arm crossmember, tubular trailing arms and trac-bar. For this setup to really be what I want it to be the frame can't be tweaked.

Probably will be a 3"&4" drop, I plan on putting my vintage dirt bikes in the back so yes it'll have the top off a lot and a 4 instead of 5 drop in the rear will give me an extra inch of spring for the weight of the bikes. My bikes are also original blue plates and am working on an a café racer which I'm working on getting a frame with a blue plate for that as well.

Almost every car I've owned has been a GM and none were Chevys and I'd rather this not be an exception, it's kind of a running inside joke in a Chevy centric family. It's also probably going to get a '67-68 cowl hood and GMCs already have the right fenders and I like the quad lights better though I do think the Chevys have better looking grills. I plan to do one piece glass in the doors because I really want vintage bullet mirrors on it and I don't think the vent windows will really work with that, we'll see. So, no originality is not the goal, but straight and sound is, and I plan on building it as a daily driver.

I know this all may sound contradictory to my original post but in reality it really isn't, I want an uncut straight, sound body and frame and I'm not looking to do this truck with any intention of selling it anytime soon, or probably ever. I know I am going to put more in it than I'll ever get out of it, but I'd rather put money into something I know every detail about and can do what ever I want to with it, than something that ends up being a valueless throw away in 10-15 years and CA wants CARP certificates for everything I do. 1975 and older in California and you are off the grid, you can do what ever you want, you could put a turbine engine in if you wanted.
From what i gather you want a original un restored jimmy that is is in perfect condition to tear apart and build it your way. that would be like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. to get what you want your going to have to find the best one you can and restore it and do all the mods. just finding a decent platform is tough, You may get lucky like some and find a mostly rust free body. you have no way of knowing its past or conditon of the frame by just looking at it. you will have to put it on a frame rack to check if it is striaght, if it isnt then striaghten it. no big deal.
So i say find the best you can at a price your willing to pay and work with it.
71 blazer (C4 2wd conv project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523589
Old 01-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdxharley View Post
From what i gather you want a original un restored jimmy that is is in perfect condition to tear apart and build it your way. that would be like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. to get what you want your going to have to find the best one you can and restore it and do all the mods. just finding a decent platform is tough, You may get lucky like some and find a mostly rust free body. you have no way of knowing its past or conditon of the frame by just looking at it. you will have to put it on a frame rack to check if it is striaght, if it isnt then striaghten it. no big deal.
So i say find the best you can at a price your willing to pay and work with it.
Well not necessarily perfect, but yes basically. Considering I'm in California and am essentially looking for a truck that has always been in California (original plate) rust tends to be a lesser problem here, however rubber and interiors tend to be destroyed. One thing I learned from restoring bikes is that you get your metal parts from the southwest and soft parts from the northwest and the Midwest. Most of the ones I've seen that fit the criteria at worst tend to have bubbles in the sills. Blazers are obviously way more plentiful than Jimmys.

It's basically a ground up build I'm planning so I really don't care about the interior, the drive train (except a usable core for the diff), the engine, the suspension, anything about the electrical system, tires, wheels, fuel tank like I said I'm looking for a body and frame. It doesn't need to be pretty, I don't care what color it is or whether it's all the same color. It would be nice if it can get where it's going under it's own power, but it's not a requirement, it'll be a body, clip and top and a raw frame in less than a week and off to the blaster.

I've been looking at lots of ads and why I started this thread to begin with is the sheer number of ads I see where the the body is hacked or cut and the the way it's depicted in the ad leads you to believe the frame is probably tweaked or has cracks in it and the seller is asking $12-15-20K which I think is ridiculous unless there is something truly of value in what's left and more often than not there isn't and I wonder who's the buyer for these trucks at that price?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #21
fxdxharley
Just a nother gear head

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
I've been looking at lots of ads and why I started this thread to begin with is the sheer number of ads I see where the the body is hacked or cut and the the way it's depicted in the ad leads you to believe the frame is probably tweaked or has cracks in it and the seller is asking $12-15-20K which I think is ridiculous unless there is something truly of value in what's left and more often than not there isn't and I wonder who's the buyer for these trucks at that price?
I agree with that 100%. its a buyers market and always will be. if you want something to sell make it look good take good photos and price it right. Ive bought and sold many motorcycles and never would i post a photo of a dirt bike covered in mud, with bent bars etc. but everyone thats looking knkows thats probably been the case at some point. same goes for these trucks or any vehicle. display it so it sells and let the potentail buyer pick it apart when they look at it. but lets face it the majority of people are dumb, and they are all on craigs list and ebay. lol! its up to the smart educated buyer to filter them out.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #22
skorpioskorpio

Since you mention dirtbikes, this is the cargo the truck is being built to carry:

Old 01-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #23
blazer1972

The cleaner the better, anottate any aftermarket parts/mods, because everybody knows they are expensive, but in the end, "runs good and daily driver" get my attention.
blazer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #24
my71gmc

I briefly read through the posts, and am happy I found mine when I did or else you may have ended up with it. This came out of Calif, is original, rust free AND still has the blue California plates on it. Good luck with your search - you will find something out there I'm sure.
Attached Images

my71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #25
skorpioskorpio

Ugh! and you took it to the land of iron termites.