The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
PoDuck

Converting to long water pump

I've decided to convert to LWP so it is easier to mount everything I need to mount to the engine. I got the alternator and water pump new, and got a crank and water pump pulley online.

Everything seemed to be fine. The pulleys looked as though they would line up and everything would work, but when I went to secure things, the bolt holes in the water pump pulley were too narrow to fit the holes on the water pump. I understand that a water pump with 8 holes would work, but at this point, the water pump is installed, and I'm unsure about how much of a pain it would be to return it for one that would work, whether it had narrower holes or 8 holes.

Also, the crankshaft pulley has a protrusion that doesn't fit in my harmonic dampener. It looks very like it should fit, but it is just slightly larger than the hole. I'm assuming that the dampener came from the original 283, since the 72 would likely have had the LWP and I assume would fit the pulley.

Now for the questions. Why are these things not fitting? Were there harmonic balancers with different sized holes in the ends to handle the protrusion from the pulley? What makes the difference between water pumps that make them accept the narrower or wider bolt pattern on the pully?

In other words, what years/models of vehicle had each?
PoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Converting to long water pump

All trucks with a V8 '72 and earlier came from the factory with short water pumps. With the cars the change was made in '69. I believe most if not all long water pumps have the larger bolt pattern for the fan/pulley. The mounting surface on the harmonic balancer for the pulley is the same for all Gen I small blocks regardless of cubic inches. It sounds to me as though you may have pulleys for a short water pump

IMO, mounting all the accessories with a short water pump is no more difficult that with a long water pump. You just need the correct brackets and pulleys for either one.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
PoDuck

So why is the little protrusion on the crank not fitting harmonic dampener? Is it just a really tight fit that I need to compress it into? I've looked at other crank pulleys and they also have the protrusion.

As far as the water pump pulley, it was advertised as for a long water pump, and it is certainly different than the swp pulley. I looked at my 85 and the bolts appear to be the same distance apart, although they could be different, as it isn't that much of a difference.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
DesertCat

Being you are having problems with both pulleys, I would say the problem is... the pulleys! Being you only stated you got them "online", I am guessing ebay, not from a regular supplier.

This stuff has only been around a million years and no reputable manufacturer would have these kinds of problems... guessing a new Chinese factory produced this set.

Bummer
Old 01-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
414banger

like said in a previous post it sounds like you have the wrong pullies i recently switched my 292 out for a small block and when i went to bolt the fan from the 292 onto the 350 ( with a long water pump ) the bolt patern was to small on the fan i hope this helps alittle its not exactly the same situation but you get the point can you post pics of pullies also the swp crank pulleys grooves are right against the harmonic balancer whereas the lwp crank pulley grooves are like an inch or so from the balancer
414banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
PoDuck

Well, I bought the water pump pulley from Ebay, and it came simply in a plastic bag, but the crank pulley I bought is a Mr. Gasket pulley, and it is supposed to fit sbc. In fact, I have checked it against pulleys at the local Oreilly's and it is the same. The protrusion looks like it might fit if I give it a little "persuasion", but I don't want to force it and find out I'm wrong and be stuck getting a new pulley or harmonic balancer or both.

As for the water pump pulley, I doubt it will be too big of a deal to take the water pump back and get one with 8 holes. I was more curious about what determined the difference between the wider and narrower holes. Doing a google search, it seems to be a fairly normal thing to have differences in.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
414banger

well just because it says small block chevy dont mean it is for a long water pump post up a pic if u can
414banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
luvbowties

Question Re: Converting to long water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoDuck View Post
So why is the little protrusion on the crank not fitting harmonic dampener? Is it just a really tight fit that I need to compress it into? I've looked at other crank pulleys and they also have the protrusion.

As far as the water pump pulley, it was advertised as for a long water pump, and it is certainly different than the swp pulley. I looked at my 85 and the bolts appear to be the same distance apart, although they could be different, as it isn't that much of a difference.
Has your balancer previously been "hammered on" and buggered the opening in the balancer? I've seen them battered into a mess. If so, maybe a little dremel dressing...
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #9
PoDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414banger View Post
well just because it says small block chevy dont mean it is for a long water pump post up a pic if u can
Yes, I understand that. I specifically purchased ones for long water pump, since the only reason for me to replace them in the first place is because I was switching from short to long water pump.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
PoDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Has your balancer previously been "hammered on" and buggered the opening in the balancer? I've seen them battered into a mess. If so, maybe a little dremel dressing...
Sam
The balancer looks very clean actually. It doesn't look like it has been hammered on at all. I've been considering the dremel idea actually. I don't imagine it would take much work, but that is really just the power tool version of a hammer.