The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2003, 06:35 AM   #1
TIMSPEED

ARGH!! Please HELP! Truck No Start AT ALL NOW!!

Well, I have NO idea why. But for the past couple days, the truck hasn't been starting. Finally, tonight when I went out to try it. I turned the key and it did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. The lights came on fine and everything, so I know it's got battery power. But when I turned the Key to fire it up, the starter did NOTHING. No buzzing, no clicking, NOTHING. Any ideas? Also, if anyone's got a picture of what wires are supposed to go where on a 75+ Small block starter, it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! (The Haynes/Chilton manual only has a picture of a small block starter up to 74, it says they changed designs when HEI came out.) Thanks guys! (I KNEW it couldn't be in my ignition!)
Old 06-09-2003, 07:07 AM   #2
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

The wires with the large terminal ends go to the large terminal on the solenoid. The smaller wires go to the S small terminal. Plus can't you just swap straight over to the new starter the same way it was?

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:41 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

even if ya put the small wire on the wrong wire it wont hurt it just it wont turn all ya gotta do is switch em

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 01:25 PM   #4
Prerunner1982

if you are getting power but it wont start, it could be your ignition switch ontop of the column. when mine went out, everything would work (lights, stereo, etc) but wouldnt start, wouldnt click or try or anything. could also be your park neautral starting switch. if its out it will trick your truck into thinking its not in P or N. i had mine go out and i could start it in N but not P.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:33 PM   #5
TIMSPEED

How do I fix/test to see if it's the ignition switch on top of the column, or if it's the park/neutral safety switch?? Any pics, diagrams? Thanks!
Old 06-09-2003, 08:06 PM   #6
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

get a test wire 10 gauge with clips on both ends ...jump the small
post and the big post on the starter...should turn over....its the same thing you switch does only its in the truck!!!!!
i have a bump switch hooked up there to set my valves
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote