The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
LSUMurse

Daily driver PS conversion

I recently got the stuff to do a power steering conversion on my '68. I cannot have the truck down for too many days as it is my sole means of transportation (outside of my wife's car, but we both have jobs to go to). So, if I have belt alignment issues, or something else, will it hurt the steering gear to cap the ports for the fluid lines and basically use it as a manual gear for a couple weeks or so?

If your life is a joke, it appears death will be your punchline.
LSUMurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Eddie H.

Re: Daily driver PS conversion

I doubt you would want to drive it without the pump operational. The steering effort would be much higher than with a manual gearbox.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Dont cap the ports.Just install the PS pump and brackets.Then work out the alignment issues(if any).After that is taken care of you will be good to go on swapping the PS gearbox in.Just loosen the adjustment and pull the belt off to drive it until alignment is right.After putting in the gearbox,jack up the front of the truck and turn the wheel lock to lock,turn off,refill and do it again.It may take a few times to get all the air out.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
LSUMurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Dont cap the ports.Just install the PS pump and brackets.Then work out the alignment issues(if any).After that is taken care of you will be good to go on swapping the PS gearbox in.Just loosen the adjustment and pull the belt off to drive it until alignment is right.After putting in the gearbox,jack up the front of the truck and turn the wheel lock to lock,turn off,refill and do it again.It may take a few times to get all the air out.
It is amazing how the easiest answers never seem to come to me. I never would have thought to just not have a belt on the pump if there was an alignment issue. Wow, after having paid so much for my education, maybe I should go ask for a rebate.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
ole dollor

is your motor a v-8 or a inline 6.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
LSUMurse

Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
hugger6933

If you cap the ports it will pressure lock and you will not be able to turn the truck. The worst part is it may not happen at the very first when you do it, It may take some turns before you notice anything even wrong then it is locked up. Trust me when I tell you that capping the ports on a power steering box is not the way to go, you would be better off with no lines at all to it or run the pump linesand have them out of the way just effectivly making a breather out of them if that makes sense. When I had my situation with my locked up steering box I had two plug and ong I removed and replaced with the fitting for a return line and in it I placed a breather similar to that on a rear end to keep pressure from building there. {Go Hogs]
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
long69

the way i did mine, after acquiring all the parts i mounted the pump to make sure everything was where it needed to be (aligned and everything ) for its final position. made sure all hoses would fit, make sure the rag joint fits at both ends and there should be no surprises. well until you bleed the system it took me many many tries to finish. my process took several years to complete with the pump just mounted there with no belt for at least a year. the truck was never down because of the swap and boi is it nice to have.
long69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
LSUMurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by long69 View Post
the way i did mine, after acquiring all the parts i mounted the pump to make sure everything was where it needed to be (aligned and everything ) for its final position. made sure all hoses would fit, make sure the rag joint fits at both ends and there should be no surprises. well until you bleed the system it took me many many tries to finish. my process took several years to complete with the pump just mounted there with no belt for at least a year. the truck was never down because of the swap and boi is it nice to have.
Several Years? Holy Monkey!!! At least I know it can run for an extended time without the belt. I am anxious to get this started.

Thanks to everyone for the answers and advice.