The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
padresag

tagging and titling your 60-66 truck

a good place to start:

tag and titling toolbox
http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten...olbox&g=SEMAGA

check for your state.

courtesy of SEMA SAN

-W(courtesy of Woog)
ron

Jon perhaps this could be inc with your vin # thread
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: tagging and titling your 60-66 truck

I will post a link there, good info!
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
joeydirt

good find
joeydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
Johnny Bones

This is a great find!! thanks
Johnny Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #5
padresag

an example of what can happen. borrowed the following from another site where this same conversation came up.
"I have a reason for urging caution regarding this issue.

10 years or so ago I was driving by a car lot near Buena Vista, a little ways west of here - and I saw a 66 K10 in a used car lot. I stopped and took a look at it. The owner of the lot came over, and we got to talking about the truck.

The truck was on his lot because of a chain of events surrounding the fact that the truck had been stolen.

Apparently, the truck had been stolen and had it's trim tag replaced, with someone gluing both the tag on and some rose headed rivets (whoever did the tag swap had cut out another tag, chiseled the rivets off from the back and glued them to the front of the new tag). It was then sold a few times, until it got to it's last owner. He had gone to the trouble to swap in new axles front and rear in order to get disk brakes, had done a motor swap and a power steering and power brake conversion - basically making it stop and handle like a newer truck.

The problem was when he went to sell it, using it as a trade in on a newer vehicle - the dealer did a VIN inspection prior to taking it on trade. The VIN tag didn't match the numbers on the frame rail, so the state police were called in. The truck was impounded. It was returned to the original owner, and the guy lost ALL the money and effort that he put into the truck as well as the original purchase price of the truck. He was also forced to go to court for receiving stolen property - luckily, the charges were eventually dropped, but it could have cost him serious jail time.

You need to be really careful about mixing truck frames and cabs that have different VIN numbers. You should document everything that you do in this area to make sure you don't run afoul of the DMV - because if you don't it can really cost you. "

ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

This is the biggest reason I always recommend against swapping frames unless it is absolutely necessary. And then if you do, you need to have all the proper documentation for your state DMV.

BTW. Thanks for posting this link Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
an example of what can happen. borrowed the following from another site where this same conversation came up.
"I have a reason for urging caution regarding this issue.

10 years or so ago I was driving by a car lot near Buena Vista, a little ways west of here - and I saw a 66 K10 in a used car lot. I stopped and took a look at it. The owner of the lot came over, and we got to talking about the truck.

The truck was on his lot because of a chain of events surrounding the fact that the truck had been stolen.

Apparently, the truck had been stolen and had it's trim tag replaced, with someone gluing both the tag on and some rose headed rivets (whoever did the tag swap had cut out another tag, chiseled the rivets off from the back and glued them to the front of the new tag). It was then sold a few times, until it got to it's last owner. He had gone to the trouble to swap in new axles front and rear in order to get disk brakes, had done a motor swap and a power steering and power brake conversion - basically making it stop and handle like a newer truck.

The problem was when he went to sell it, using it as a trade in on a newer vehicle - the dealer did a VIN inspection prior to taking it on trade. The VIN tag didn't match the numbers on the frame rail, so the state police were called in. The truck was impounded. It was returned to the original owner, and the guy lost ALL the money and effort that he put into the truck as well as the original purchase price of the truck. He was also forced to go to court for receiving stolen property - luckily, the charges were eventually dropped, but it could have cost him serious jail time.

You need to be really careful about mixing truck frames and cabs that have different VIN numbers. You should document everything that you do in this area to make sure you don't run afoul of the DMV - because if you don't it can really cost you. "

ron
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote