The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Old_1965_Gmc

what yr n model one piece drive shaft can i fit on my 65 gmc

Sup everyone been a while I ain't been bac on here lol...well I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this one well I wanna go with a one peice drive shaft on my 65 longbed gmc I seen a few mid 70's n 80's chevy gmc n sum dodge trucks with a one peice shaft but I ain't sure if any will fit sence I still got tha 305v6 running n a 80's rear end from a chevy has any done this will there be any modifications i would need to do.... I would love to see sum pics n everyone thoughts n comment about it thanks for tha help everyone
Posted via Mobile Device
Old_1965_Gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
joe750

Re: what yr n model one piece drive shaft can i fit on my 65 gmc

I'd like to know this too
Except my truck is all stock everything. 250 3 speed
I'll be bagging it soon so I was looking at a one piece
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
rustbucket66

I'm not sure if you can put a one piece in a longbox. There is a limit, not sure what the number is, that you can be one piece. The two piece is much smoother, and a better thing anyways. Some of the plain jane newer trucks came with one piece, but the more optioned trucks have the two piece with the hanger bearing. Any driveshaft shop will tell you what the maximum length is.
rustbucket66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
newbe351

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket66 View Post
There is a limit, not sure what the number is, that you can be one piece. The two piece is much smoother, and a better thing anyways.
It would take me a while to find it, but I just read an article (I was looking up pinion angle) regarding driveline length vs. diameter. In order to keep vibration down and reliability up, the shorter the driveline the better. If you can't keep it short, then you want it large diameter. The two piece driveline is better in the long wheelbase vehicle.

EDIT: From a Spincer Tech Memo;

Critical Speed
Every driveshaft has a critical speed. Critical speed is the point at which a rotating driveshaft begins to bow off its normal rotating centerline. Driveshafts begin to vibrate as they approach critical speed. If they are operated at near critical speed for an extended period, they often fail. This can damage the vehicle and possibly injure persons nearby.

A driveshaft’s safe operating speed can be raised by increasing its tube diameter or by shortening the installed center-to-center length of the driveshaft. Changing the installed length of a driveshaft will require the use of multiple driveshafts with center bearings.

Since critical speed can ultimately cause driveshaft failure, it is extremely important to be very precise in all applications.

Last edited by newbe351; 01-10-2013 at 12:12 PM.
newbe351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
63burban
Chevy addict

Just get one made to your specks, around here it would cost about $150.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Old_1965_Gmc

I aint had no luck finding one here @63burban......so would my best option be n stayn with tha two piece drive shaft or tha one piece.....who has a one piece driveshaft n there truck or suburban how is tha ride dose it vibrate so lil or so much any proplems when shiftn gears on a manule 3 or 4 speed granny or newer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old_1965_Gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
joedoh

Powerdrive the driveshaft shop here won't even make a custom one as large as an s10 longbed 1pc, which is about as long as a 65 swb driveshaft. They want to make a two piece over a certain length, for the reasons stated.

My 65 is a swb so I bought an s10 long bed driveshaft, it is made of aluminum and is twice the diameter of the steel two piece s10 driveshaft. My truck is on an s10 swb frame that I moved the axle back to center the rear wheels, in case you wondered how I knew so much about s10 driveshafts. It correlates to what is being said above though

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote