The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Jimbabwe

Boosting brakes

Is it possible to add a brake booster which is hidden, while leaving the master cylinder where it is? I've seen setups where the whole unit is down by the frame rail.
Jimbabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Jimbabwe

Re: Boosting brakes

I just stumbled on the Hydroboost website. Wondering if I could hide that under the firewall and leave the stock looking CPP master I just put on all by itself. I saw mention of Kugel components under dash too, but it's the whole thing under there. That would be a pain.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
jocko

you can actually hide the WHOLE mess. I was actually considering trying to use this in my 66 and leave just the stock single pot master cylinder on the firewall, not connected to anything (with a severely kinked and slashed brake line, for dramatic, head-scratching effect...)

But in the end, it seemed to be waaaaay tooo much work, so I went to oreily and bought a 67 dual res mc and stuck it on for under 20 bucks and called it a day.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Jimbabwe

Hah, I like that!
I'm gonna guess the cheapest and easiest of these alternatives is to just shut up and get a larger diameter, shallow booster and slap it on. With the I6 there isn't much room to come away from the firewall without hitting the air cleaner.
I just put a CPP master on and decided it would look much cleaner all stock and simple, so I ran them manual, but living in NYC I don't want to have to brake fast and not have the ability to do it without a head start! I already crashed one truck from brake failure.