The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
Square_78

MHT Forged wheels have bubbling chrome? Anyone else have problems with them?

Hey guys,

I couldnt find a section for wheels and tires so I guess I will post it here. Just looking for some info or experiences from you guys. I have a set of 6 month old MHT Tuscan Forged 3-piece chrome wheels that I bought for my 1970 GMC truck that I am working on. I ran them on my other chevy truck this past summer from aprox July when I got them, to November when the truck came off the road for the winter. It was never driven in the snow. I just went to take them off my chevy truck and I notice that ALL the chrome is bubbling off both the hoops (all the way around) and the centers of all four wheels!!!

I called MHT and they said they dont warranty peeling or bubbling of chrome??? What the heck? These are EXPENSIVE forged wheels and they are 5-6 months old with 4 months of road time. Im in canada and they cost about $6000, and now they are garbage. I have never seen quality chrome plating do this. This is a sign of POOR chrome application. I have a set of CHEAP boss chrome wheels on my grand cherokee that have been driving in the winter and salt covered roads for 5 years and they arnt peeling or bubbling or anything.

Anyone else have issues with MHT chrome wheels? I really dont know what to do here if they wont warranty them.... Can anyone offer any suggestions? What would it cost to rechrome them?

Cheers
Lonnie

**Moderators please move this to a more appropriate section if necessary. I wasnt sure where to post it.
Attached Images

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497

Last edited by Square_78; 01-10-2013 at 07:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: MHT Forged wheels have bubbling chrome? Anyone else have problems with them?

Damn... I had MHTs on a Mustang, they ARE expensive. Good to know their warranty policy. whew
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Longhorn 70

Re: MHT Forged wheels have bubbling chrome? Anyone else have problems with them?

I think their warranty policy is garbage! I have purchased cheeeeepie chorme wheels before with a 3 year warranty on finish....

If I paid by Visa, I might have to pressure them a little bit.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

That's a bad policy for a business plan, word of mouth can kill a business. If everyone posts their opinion maybe we could send them a link for more pressure. There is also a website I've seen called Gripevine maybe post a complaint on there for added pressure.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
cdowns

it would probablly cost more than you paid for them originally to get them rechromed // unless you get a place that sends thier stuff to mexico or china to get them chromed
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
sprint_9

This is what worries me about getting chrome wheels. Might have to go polished and deal with the extra work of keeping them nice.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
808_67C10

I had a pair of ZENIKs that did the same thing, I just powdercoated them... costed me about 400 and they came out gorgous... its not chrome but, it looks better then peeling and pitted chrome. They have a color called "almost chrome" for powder too... looks pretty good. Not as glossy but... once again, cheaper than chrome and wont pit or peel.
67 C/10 SOLD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489298
79 K5 Blazer SOLD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=657461
808_67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
BB72CHEVKT

Old 01-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Rochlow

I know KMC wheels are noted for doing this also.
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

I've had that on Cragar's too, but they were cheap. Even OEM wheels do it, but at least you have a warranty. You pick your poison - chrome look all shiny but they WILL peel at some point. Polished wheels look great when you first get them, but they take a buttload of work to keep them looking that way.

I'd try the credit card route first, and then go to whatever Better Business Bureau equivalent you have.

This board has a forum for reporting experiences with vendors, good or bad. Review Board Link
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Ol Blue K20

My chrome spokes on mine are a little over 16 years old and still look good and they weren't the expensive ones either. I guess manufacturers had more pride in quality back then.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
Square_78

The owner of my local MHT dealer/tire shop has a set of new MHT's on his personal car and they are also bubbling all over. MHT basicly told him to "beat it" and they arnt covered. If the owner of the tire shop can get his own personal rims warrantied, then I dont have much hope for mine. Should have bought the cheaper Racelines like I originally wanted.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Old 01-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
Ol Blue K20

I think I would quit selling their garbage. They must know they're product is junk.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

All these newfanged wheel companies popped up from out of nowhere to satisfy this wheel craze and charge huge bucks when they have no history at all. I'd never buy from any off these upstart companies when there are tried and true wheel companies who focus on a small numbers of styles to assure quality.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
Square_78

MHT has been around for a while, but yes I agree you need to be carefull what you buy. The only reason I bought MHT was because I was told they were a PREMIUM wheel over and above other wheels like raceline. Its a beautiful wheel and well made and if the chrome would stick, then it would be perfect

Im just waiting to hear back from MHT canada to see what they have to say.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Yeah,I just can't say I'm familiar with them. "Been around a while" is relevant. For me it's any company that popped up once the wheel industry turned into a confusing screwed up mess of endless companies offering countless diameters,offsets,and hundreds of styles causing headaches for any tire place to keep any decent stock of tires at hand. There is no standard now and what was standard has become the exception and even hard to get a hold of,readily,and all tire prices have sky rocketed as a result. Just a peeve of mine. We all need tires and now everyone has to pay the price for those who are all about the wheel more than the vehicles,IMO. Not trying to offend anyone. Just saying what I've witnessed. Rant off.

I think it sucks when a company won't stand behind their product and I hope you get what you deserve. It especially burns me when they get top dollar,you get crap,and they tell you too bad. Reputation used to be why a given company could charge more. Now it's because they want more,people buy what they have,and good luck

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
zook

as someone already posted chrome does seem like it peels. I think not if but when. I think at one time before weld wheel was scooped up they stood behind their chrome against peeling not sure what am. racing has done. I still like the billet but they do require some time and effort to keep them nice. It sucks when you step up and think you are getting superior stuff and turns out it's just borderline. powercoat sounds like a good option. Some of the quality companies restore wheels is that anything they might do. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #18
Rochlow

MHT is funny.. I know they have a connection to Chip Foose, So you would think they would stand behind their product. I'm pretty sure all the Foose wheels are manufactured by MHT, So you'd expect them to have the same problems. But I haven't heard of anyone having problems with Foose wheels.

I want a set of big diameter billet wheels in the worst way, but I'm having a problem with the companies attitudes lately. I know guys that have put down big money for a set and told a couple of weeks. However, after 12-13 weeks they are still waiting on their wheels. And the prices are still crazy!!!
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
Square_78

I think it took about 3-4 months for mine to get made after I paid for them. They are custom made to the exact offset you want and everything. Seems like a long time but thats what it takes apparently.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #20
zook

sure seems like a long time to wait. i hate it when someone has my money and item at the same time. guess if your happy that is what counts.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
Square_78

Quote:
Originally Posted by zook View Post
sure seems like a long time to wait. i hate it when someone has my money and item at the same time. guess if your happy that is what counts.
Im not happy at all. $6000 for wheels that last 4 months? Very unhappy.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #22
zook

Ouch! Guess I would be steamin mad. Sorry to hear about those wheels and no recourse.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #23
sprint_9

Who makes decent chrome wheels at an affordable price these days? Does that even exist? I was looking at some American Racing wheels but read they are having similar issues like these MHT's
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #24
67c10rustbuket

Ouch this sounds like a flaming bag of poo. Sorry dude.
How about pics of the actual wheels please.
Posted via Mobile Device

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #25
cst69
Hollywood

Yep, I had a sweet set of MHT's around 8 years ago or so. Chome stated peeling on the suburban when the wheels were 1 year old. My fix was to sell the burb while the wheels still looked decent...I would only have a suburban with the tailgate, that thing was super versitle and very dependable. Haul 8 people to the clubs at night and go to Lowe's to pick up plywood & lumber the next day. What stories that truck could tell.....
1992 chevy ext. cab Project: leftovers
2003 Silverado ext. cab shortbed (my dad's truck R.I.P.)
1969 trans am clone, pro tour
1985 Yamaha Vmax, custom
1993 Yamaha Vmax, showbike
1969 Sears Suburban SS12 lawn tractor
cst69 is offline   Reply With Quote