The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
SCHRUMGMC

Where in the World did you get yours ?

Where did you get your Trucks at ?
Dealer?
Private Seller?

Tell your Stories about the First time you bought your Truck
Old 01-11-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Unhappy Re: Where in the World did you get yours ?

Ok here goes,
My first truck was a 67 factory small window LWB. 283 with 3 speed with factory over drive. Had the old power assit steering like the corvettes had with factory AC. Carolina blue with the pin stripes on it.

I bought it at the truck auction on hwy 16 in Charlotte NC on a Thursday night. I was looking for this model truck and my wifes dad had his dealer's license at the time so he and I went looking. I spoted it before the action and checked it out good. I told the owner I had $2000.00 cash. He said that was the starting bid on it and he hoped to get $2500 at least for it but he didn't have a reserve on it. In fact back then I don't think they even offered a reserve. Anyway I said thanks and waited. The truck rolled in and they started at $2000.00 like he said. My father-in-law bided first thing and I was like this ant going to happen! I was surprised though he was the only bidder and we got the truck for the $2000.00. I couldn't believe it I had me a 67 truck. Well we settled the paper work and talked to the owner again and he was surprised as I was about the bidding just not in the same way I was! Lol...
He told me to make sure I cleaned the pine needles out of the truck good because he parked under a Pine tree. Well I guess you could say I knew more than him and never borthered with it. That winter I was headed to work and it was cold so I had the heater going as I was filling it up with gas. The truck caught fire and burnt to the ground right there. It got so hot it blew the front winsheild out of it. I saved the motor, transmission and bed of it the rest was trash.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
dolphstanley

Re: Where in the World did you get yours ?

Well my latest 67 my dad traded a banjo to a local guy for the truck then I bought it from him Thats probably alittle different ha ha ha
dolphstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
rpatowers

Purchased my 72 from the dealer when it was new 40 1/2 years ago.
rpatowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
c10srule

first truck i bought when i was 17 for $300 a 64 chevy 283 every ring was broken still ran, my 70 i picked up in northern mass when i lived in nh for $1450 with spare parts back in 97
c10srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

69 C10 Stepside: Found in a nearby town with a for sale sign. Happened one morning while I was out driving my 72 Chevelle which then was a daily driver.

71 Cheyenne 20: It found me. Was washing my 69 Chevelle in my yard and the owner stopped by and asked me if I wanted to buy a parts truck for $100. All I had was $50 on me so I offered it and he accepted. I still didnt' see the truck at that point but he even drove it to my house and it was still inspected! I knew right away I wasn't parting it out. A few years later after lots of work, it became my daily driver and still is. It's a real work horse and a real friend! (does anything you ask of it)

69 Custom 30 wrecker: Found at one of my local junkyards. After about a month, the yard owner decided to part it out and put it in the yard. I found it there and even bought a few parts from it but later that day decided I NEEDED to save it!!! After about another week, the title was found and the loader dug it out of the sea of cars and onto the rollback. I've been restoring it ever since and hope to have it done this summer.

Whew! That's enough typing for 6:50 AM.

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

My first truck? Ok. That was in 1973 when I went to Sport Chevrolet in Silver Spring,MD with a buddy to buy his '66 Impala SS off the OK Used Car lot. His dad's buddy was the manager and gave a great deal. I saw this Yellow short bed that was the old body style they just changed from and I liked those better. I asked about it and it had just come in. It was a '72 and was all but new,not a scratch in the bed (wood floor). The owner traded it in for the latest style (what a fool,I thought to myself). He threw a number at me ($2,800) and I said I'd take it. I came back the next day with $500 and got my first loan on a:

1972 Custom Deluxe Highlander
Solid Ochre w/Parchment interior
402/3spd/posi
3,600 miles

I've had at east on 67-72 GM Truck ever since and found them about any way you can imagine. Even had them find me

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Private seller.
Found it thru google on a classifieds website I wasnt familiar with.
After checking the usually places I was searching C-10 For Sale & stumbled acrossed it drove up the next day to check it out.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
Lemield

I'm just going to list the trucks I currently own to save time...

My 1970 CST was found at a car show in Moab Utah. It was nice and the price was to my liking. I kept walking by it for a couple of hours and finally decided that I needed it. I'm the third owner.

My 1970 C20 was in the Auto Trader online. It had a Mitchell 10.5 Ft Safari camper on it. Bought it from the second owner.

My 1971 K20 was on Craigslist at John Elway Chevrolet in Englewood. I thought, what the heck, I may as well go look at it. I was so surprised that it was all that they described and more. After I took it for a test drive, I made an offer and bought it. Technically, I'm the third owner since the original owner traded it in on a new Duramax.

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
dyrt

My grandfather bought my 69 new at Bonderchuck Chevrolet in Trenton, NJ. A few years later his son bought it from him so he could move to a 3/4 ton dodge extended cab. My uncle used it since the 70s until a second divorce meant he had to cut it loose to downsize his operation. I ended up with it about 4 years ago and it has been a project for a few years and it is currently on hold since 14 months ago when i started negotiations on a house, bought the house, and started to live that "dream." Can't wait to get back on it.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
Longhorn 70

I bought mine from an uncle in 1982. He went to the dark side and bought a F***. He always wanted this one back...at least he teased that. He was the 2nd owner.

On my way to church one Sunday morning, someone made a left turn in front of me and I rolled their truck and pushed it through a small tree. The insurance company then owned my truck.

I bought it back from the insurance company for $600 and put new sheet metal on it.

It just feels right to drive this truck for some reason.... I can't explain it.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
midniteblues

i found the kids 67 while crusing the cycle out in the remote countryside. I actually stopped too ask about the 66lwb that was sitting along the road but it wasnt for sale. the old man was proud of the 66 and was showing it too me when i spotted the 67 short fleet down in the feild "is that one for sale"?
"well that one isnt mine but i'll give you the guys # he might sell it"
called instanly and made the deal

when that one was done i was on the hunt for another i wanted too build a 63-66 but after a lil' over a year and looking at a bunch of pa. basket cases i opened the search too 63-68 after all i allready had leftover parts from the kids build. looked at a bunch more rust buckets

early(5:46)one morning i hopped on cl and at the top of the list was a local 67
instanly called "i'm coming too see it"
6:50 that day the deal was made.and around 12 that day i had the transfer done and drove it home

keep up your search keep your options open(if you compare all of them too gramps truck your just making it hard on yourself) if you spot something act quikly and if your not sure go look at it (i drove many miles too look at possible trucks for over a year) farthest was 2 hrs away.I looked at a real nice blue 68 that had a small amount of rust but was totaly dissasmebled but all there i was gonna get this truck but i wanted too sleep on it after seeing it well i guess the fellow that looked at it after me(as i was driving home1 1/2 hr.)cause the next morning when i called too say i'll take it he told me it was sold the night beforethis happened with a ok 66 i looked at too
but i'm totally stoked i didnt get either of them cause my 67 was a much better deal all around and was the ONLY truck i looked at in all that time that was still inspected and i could drive home
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
SCHRUMGMC

My Great Grandfather Howard had bought the 1971 GMC Sierra Shortbed new here in Lincolnton,NC
Sold it to my Pawpaw, and he drove it sometimes then the Engine sparked flame.It sat out in our Pasture for 10 years, Then I didnt speak up when I wanted it, it was Sold
Now im on the hunt for it

I have the VIN Number

I hope to be reunited with her again one day
Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
mgkgmc

My 1970 Gmc was first found by my brother. He always had old Chevelles so I was always kind of envious of his cool cars and he knew that. So my brother was a UPS driver and he would always tell me about these old cars he would see everyday driving around doing his deliveries. So one day he calls me and tell me about this old GMC he saw that this old man had dragged to the front of his property and he had just put up for sale for $2500.00. So my brother started talking to the guy and he said had this truck since the eightys in his backyard he used it to pickup firewood from Payson Arizona to bring down to Phoenix but he no longer used it so he said it was time to sell. So my brother called me since he knew I was kind of looking for a old vehicle and said theres this cool old Gmc truck for sale pretty cheap thats in good shape so you might want to go check it out. So I thought what the hell I'll check it out cause it was pretty close. So I get there and I instanly fall in love with it. Its was a straight 1970 white Gmc six cylinder stepside that wasn't in too bad of shape. I knew I had to have it. But there is these guys checking it out that were landscaping buisness that needed a work truck that really wanted it. Im thinking I cant let these guys get it will be trashed in no time. So I talked to the owner and said If you can wait a hour Ill be back with the $. He told me he did want to sell it to the landscapers because he knew they wouldnt take care of it. He would rather sell it to me because He knew I really liked the truck like he did and I would fix it up. So he told me he would wait for me and he would tell the guys its not for sale. Im like hell yeah I got it. I came back paid him it was mine! He told me all kinds of stories about the truck and how much he loved it. That was the day I learned how to drive a three on the tree with his help it was so cool. Ever since I have been a truck nut.
1989 Swb Silverado
1972 Aj's Stormer

Last edited by mgkgmc; 01-11-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: edit
mgkgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
70c10-08

Cool Re: Where in the World did you get yours ?

Well it all started back in January 2008 and a buddy of mine just bought a 81 k10 with a profesionally built 383 stroker for like 300 bucks the engine was the only good thing on it lol this thing had rust where u didnt even think it could form but he had a complete rust free body waiting for it anyway back in high school thats all hed talk about and by March Id fianlly had it D****t I need a truck of my own to work on and by that time I knew what i wanted after seeing many 67-72 Chevys and GMCs in Classic Trucks Magazine to me it says its rough and spartan like a truck yet have the access to car features like a/c or p.s. and still have a factory truck so I went looking through The Wheels For You magazine and found one near lincoln it said it was partially restored had a TH350 with a 307 and they wanted $1500 for it my bro in law and I went there we gave it the lookover and it looked fine for a project truck so we test drove it and my bro in law tried to adjust the seat he did but it didnt latch so when we tried the brakes I thought we were gonna die lol it drove ok the brakes were terrible we just thought that was tipical for manual brakes (later on i found out all the drums were shot and craked all the way around) i did end up with the truck as a graduation gift from my mom partially restored? wrongfully restored is more like it the p.o. didnt know bodywork or how to weld or even how to rivit in that matter i peeled back the sh***y cheap carpet to find out that they cut out some of the rust not all got rid of some of the cab braces and rivited the patch panels in im like omg what have i gotten myself into the steel bed was rough on the inside but I didn't cut my losses I stayed and am staying hard at it I went to College for autobody repair so this ol truck of mine has been a good thing to learn on got a new bed tailgate and a 1967 small window cab form Colorado and a $35 N.O.S. grille
It came from the factory with a TH350 and a 307 manual brakes and steering and an am radio my improvements are 4 wheel power disc brakes no tilt manual steering tremic 5 spd no a/c f**d 9 inch rear and a 383 stoker
BTW heres a pic taken March 24th, 2008 the day after i got it as a graduation gift sorry if my description is a bit lengthy
Attached Images

70c10-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
mygmctruck

My first truck was a result of me using my car like a truck , anyhow my first truck was a 74 Ford 4x4 heavy duty everything and all black besides and no air ! what a mistake that was , truck road like a lumber wagon and so stinking hot in the summer you couldn't stand it. I bought that truck for $4500. brand new . used it hard and traded it in for a brand new 76 Ford 4x4 . They gave me what I pd for the 1st truck against the new truck , the new truck cost $ 6400 and change before trade in . Though I had good credit at the time , I really couldn't afford that truck and lost it to the repo man . My next truck is actually the one I am now restoring now a 68 gmc step side short box 4x4 . I bought it from a guy in 1978 for If I remember $ 900.00 and that was way to much but he carried the loan for me. The truck was beat up and he did me wrong but I didn't know it until it was to late. My 68 gmc , was stored since 1983 when I bought a brand new Ford 4x4 again , yes I am a Ford man at heart . And I have owned several new trucks since then but have always had a place in my heart for the gmc , it got me from Vail Colorado in one hell of a snow storm towing a uhaul 12' trailer to mich in a two day drive.
mygmctruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphstanley View Post
Well my latest 67 my dad traded a banjo to a local guy for the truck then I bought it from him Thats probably alittle different ha ha ha
Wow, that really happened in Arkansas? You aren't doing anything for stereotypes, my friend! That's like me trading a couple of surfboards for my truck (no, I didn't really do that)
Posted via Mobile Device
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
Lattimer

Found mine on Craigslist about 25 miles from home. Found it on the 3rd day of seriously looking. Got real lucky.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
~Whitey~

My first vehicle ever was a 68 Chevy longbed, 3 on the tree, 250 straight six, maroon with a white top. The guy wanted $500 for it, I remember standing behind my Dad in 1986 when he and the owner was haggling knowing Dad had the $500, but he only offered the guy $350.. I was so scared he wouldn't sell it for that, but he did and I drove that dented, rusty old truck everywhere and that's where my love for these trucks came from. They're what I started with.
I've had 6 of them to date. My 69 now, I bought a little 3 years ago in Eminence, MO from an Ice salesman and it is by far my favorite, next to my first one my Dad bought me.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #20
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Yarded mine out of a field it had been sitting in for 15 years. 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #21
Ghostryder79

Welp...I first got hooked on this era truck in high school as I drove my dad's truck. HE bought it 3 months before I was born. HE still drives it, and it will be getting rebuilt in conjunction with mine. HE just bought a 68 GMC that I was fawning over (owned by a coworker) that I couldn't get him to sell. I find mine half an hour down the road on CL, make a deal, and start my build. 1 month later, my coworker (USArmy Soldier) comes down on orders to Germany, needs to sell. My dad swoops in. Done. I hope to build that one for my son.
Ghostryder79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #22
deatonk67

i bought mine when i was 15. i was working a summer job and we passes it one day and i said i will own that truck. so we stopped and the old man told me $$2500 so we said will ya take less the man said no so we left. drove past it every day for 2 months. the truck never moved. one day we had the car trailer with us and pulled in. the old man wasnt home but the wife was. we said we wanted the truck she said how much you got, i said 1400 in my pocket right now lets make a deal. she called her husband and he said no. we stood there for about 30 seconds and she said can you have it gone in a half hour before he gets home. we said yes! she then said "i need to get some more spending money because i leave for france tomorrow". sold it without her husband knowing.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #23
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

It was 1977, I needed a 4x4 and had looked at a few but nothing I wanted. Drove by the Chevy lot and saw a '72 that had just been traded in. Dealer hadn't detailed it yet which was great b/c I could see what it was really like. Drove it, liked it, bought it, and still own it.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
nate_g_2003

I ended up with my Burb sort of by chance.

Dad was an old hot rodder, so I grew up watching NHRA on TV. I always wanted to drive a funny car/be a race car driver. Fast forward a bunch of years.

I tell my wife that I still want to be a race car driver, that it's my passion, that driving fast in a straight line would make me happy. She somehow understands how serious I am, and says "Let's look for a car. If you can do what you love, and maybe get sponsored one day, then great!"

So I set out looking for a 4th-gen Camaro SS. Find a few here and there, but don't have the cash in hand to buy anything yet. After a few weeks, we are coming home from my parents house (on a Saturday afternoon), and I say "You know, getting an old Suburban to fix up and cruise to car shows and stuff with the kids would be really fun."

She replies, "Yeah, you can hot rod those right?"

Me: "Yeah. Get a 2WD, and fix it up with a good motor, and we'd have an awesome cruiser." (I'm thinking at this point a Square Body/80s model).

The next day, we're on our way to her grandmother's house, and come upon this huge white and green monstrosity, parked along Center St. (the main drag in DP). We instantly slow down and see the For Sale sign on it, and look at each other with big grins. She says "This is creepy! The universe is talking to us! We have to stop and look at it!"

We go about our business, then come back later to look at it. We come back home, and I start looking at replacement parts availability, and what kind of prices other 67-72 burbs bring. The guy had it for sale for $7500. I went back and test drove it, and offered him $4500.

We didn't hear anything back from him, as he had a few other people that were going to look at it. We went out of town, all the while with it on my mind. Once we got back, a day or so later, he calls me up and says it's mine for $4500.

It's no Camaro SS, or even a 2WD Squarebody Burb, but I love it.
2005 Ford F150 Lariat SCrew 2WD "The Daily Driver" SOLD
1995 GMC Sierra C1500 SLE "The Daily Driver"SOLD
2003 Ford Ranger Edge 2DSC 2WD Flareside "The Daily Driver/Project"SOLD
nate_g_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #25
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

My Dad bought mine brand new. In 1977 I spun a bearing in my Chevelle and pulled the motor in my auto shop class, I was driving his truck while I was building my motor. One day I was bored and in class I pulled the cam from his truck and installed the big cam out of my car. The cam wouldn't idle in gear in his truck(no stall converter) and that night he needed his truck he came home and yelled that his truck ran rough and stalled on him and he was sure I blew up his motor, he said he was going to trade it in that night. I asked how much he wanted for it and bought it. He bought his new truck, I put the stock cam back. He never forgave me for that by the way.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is online now   Reply With Quote