The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
twillie2460

using c clip eliminator on 72 axles in 68 rearend

Well tring to keep my original rear end as I like the gearing but wanting to go to 5 lug axles. I am kicking around the idea of using a Moser c clip eliminator with my 72 axles and that way I can cut them down the 3/4 inch to make them the right size and I get rid of the clips and keep my orignal housing and gears. Two brothers throwing ideas around and now I think this could work and would like any and all thoughts.
twillie2460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
twillie2460

Re: using c clip eliminator on 72 axles in 68 rearend

I have read several threads on these c clip eliminators and not sure it is something I want to do. This truck primary job is going to be street use, well other than the wild hair thing will be fairly just normal ever day driver. I don't want to clean up rearend grease from the back of the truck. I think I have decided to just drill my 6 lug to 5 lug. Had a major problem finding anyone around here that will do that kind of machine work. I have found one I think and will have to ship the axles out but that is what it is going to take I guess.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
twillie2460

After some looking around local and finding no machine shops willing to take on the converting the 6 lug axles to 5 lug I did find one. One of my many brothers has friend in the right palces. It seem she really likes my brother and he owns his own machine shope and will weld up the holes and redrill the axles to 5 on 5 and it is only going to cost me shipping and handling there and back. That is a price that is right up my alley.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
twillie2460

I am going to try and ship the axles with some of my kind of shop towels, which is old surgical towels, wrapped around the spline then a combination of tape and plastice wire ties to hold that on. I will also do the same to the bearing surface. Then put the splines on oppisite sides and close to the other axle then several heavy duty wire ties to hold the two axles together. I knocked the studs out for shipping and will replace them when I get the axles back. I am assuming I can ship them this way as not sure where I would find a box heavy enough so they would not bust out of.