The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
Handfull 54

Drive shaft hits cross member

ROB at No Limit Engineering,

I have a sub frame that you made for me a long time ago. Now that the bed is on and the fuel tank has 120 pounds of gas in it the drive shaft is hitting the cross member. It was just clearing but with a passenger on board that is when it started to rub. My idea is to use the same material and make a bridge. I would use two pieces one on each side then put one piece over the top. All this would be welded up first, then welded to the top of the original member. I would then cut the crossmember and box the inside. The other idea was to get a piece of metal one half inch thick and have it bent into a horse shoe shape and weld that in and weld it to the crossmember. While easier, I don't think it will be as strong. Your comments would be greatly appreciated. I have about 800 miles on the truck and there are pictures of it on this site. Thanks and I hope your business and you have a great 2013.

Dave
Moorpark, CA
Attached Images

Handfull 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Drive shaft hits cross member

I think I would send a PM to Rob.
(if you haven't already)

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
andrewmp6

Yeah talk to rob but i think you have it figured out tho.If it was me i would box the cross member and put like a drive shaft loop where you need the room.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
robnolimit

Hey I'm glad you'r in the driving stage. It's been a while. Looks to me like the trans is lifted a bit, which is normal. I think you've got the right idea with boxing over the top and then cutting the notch out. That should do it. Make sure you have a rubber or urathane bump stop in place. The axle should hit the bump stop - before - the shocks bottom out, or the driveshaft hits. Keep up the good work.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Handfull 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
Hey I'm glad you'r in the driving stage. It's been a while. Looks to me like the trans is lifted a bit, which is normal. I think you've got the right idea with boxing over the top and then cutting the notch out. That should do it. Make sure you have a rubber or urathane bump stop in place. The axle should hit the bump stop - before - the shocks bottom out, or the driveshaft hits. Keep up the good work.
Rob,
Thanks a lot for your time. Some day when I'm out your way I'll stop by. Probably won't have my truck with me, as 10 MPG would be a bit much. Would like to see you and your shop though. Thanks again.
Handfull 54 is offline   Reply With Quote