The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
dtkarst

Anyone else see this on Ebay?

Not Mine. But a nice Nose piece for a high price. figured i would share it anyway

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-58-59-60...sories&vxp=mtr
dtkarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
jdl71

Re: Anyone else see this on Ebay?

Wonder where that's been all this time. Did you look at his other auction? Tons of GM NOS stuff, I suspect he either was/is a dealer or bought out a dealership stock at auction.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
McCoyAZ

THat heater kit would be something to own.
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Reyals Bemus

I dunno... $800 seems high for that, surface rust and all...
Reyals Bemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
FetchMeAPepsi

800.00 is WAY high - unless he's sending you two of 'em. Guy must be in Denver or something (wacky weed ha ha)

He might be doing one of those see-what-it's worth auctions though. I guess you can't blame a guy for tryin'
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
ABX131

I paid $800 for my whole truck and it came with a free tailgate!
ABX131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
tincan1966

notice there are 0 bids.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
dtkarst

I agree. And i saw he has a set of buckets for an early 60s impala that he wants 795 for. I think he is doing a little fishing on them. Our impalas buckets were no where near that and in better shape. But oh well. More power to him
dtkarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
rideblue00

He seems to come up with NOS stuff for our trucks once and awhile. He had a set of chrome hubcaps for a C20 and he wanted 400 for them. They were on there for months. I sent hime a couple of offers and he didn't budge. Someone finally did buy them.
rideblue00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
oem4me

This seller is obviously an experienced player in the parts biz and knows what things can bring, even if he has to wait for the right buyer.
It's true that most hobbyists are not going to spring for NOS stuff when decent useable parts can be found. But for those who don't have the time, patience, or simply insist on new 50 year old stuff, there's your part. It's not like you can get one over the counter at the dealer anymore.
BTW - this is not mine and I have no connection to the auction.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Twiztid_66c10

Btw if u look threw his items for sale he has a set of the GMC hubcaps for sale for $475
Posted via Mobile Device

1942 chevy/divco ambulance
1937 chevy truck
Twiztid_66c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
Bomp

Makes me wonder what the whole value of my complete '72 is? Maybe I can retire.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
tismy55

Lol there is a 12 month financing on it.
tismy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
This seller is obviously an experienced player in the parts biz and knows what things can bring, even if he has to wait for the right buyer.
It's true that most hobbyists are not going to spring for NOS stuff when decent useable parts can be found. But for those who don't have the time, patience, or simply insist on new 50 year old stuff, there's your part. It's not like you can get one over the counter at the dealer anymore.
BTW - this is not mine and I have no connection to the auction.

^ This.^ And if you're paying a shop $50+ and hour to straighten and fix the rust in an original tailgate, $800 could be a good bit cheaper in the long run. That's only two 8-hour days at $50/hour to get your original gate to the point of no dents and no rust. Many places are well over $50/hour. The NOS gate only needs a quick blast, couple coats of DP40, a couple coats of high build, and seam sealer to be ready to wetsand and paint it- less than a day's worth of work. Plus the inside of the gate is straight- find a used one that doesn't need hours spent pulling dents, skim coating, and blocking to get it straight. If you're doing it yourself then fixing your original gate would be cheaper, but hours can add up quickly in a bodyshop.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #15
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Can't beat NOS. My buddy's an insurance appraiser and when I started building my truck he told me to save all the boxes and receipts for appraisal. When I had the truck appraised two years ago, I had all my original NOS boxes to prove what I had on the truck. If ever there's a claim, the insurance should replace the part with original and not aftermarket. My Cool Pack A/C unit was not installed and could not be included in the value of the truck because it's not installed. All my parts would have to be claimed under the house insurance.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #16
64fleetside

^TRUE^--I spent a month of every single weekend straitening my t/g, and it was pretty nice to begin with. That center part is only one layer of steel. Once you start working it, it never ends it seems, esp the inside. Damn I was tired of blocking that gate.
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #17
Vernski

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-64-65-66...UP-PANEL-GM-23

I would like to have these hubcaps, vary rare but not at $475...Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
FetchMeAPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
^ This.^ And if you're paying a shop $50+ and hour to straighten and fix the rust in an original tailgate, $800 could be a good bit cheaper in the long run. That's only two 8-hour days at $50/hour to get your original gate to the point of no dents and no rust. Many places are well over $50/hour. The NOS gate only needs a quick blast, couple coats of DP40, a couple coats of high build, and seam sealer to be ready to wetsand and paint it- less than a day's worth of work. Plus the inside of the gate is straight- find a used one that doesn't need hours spent pulling dents, skim coating, and blocking to get it straight. If you're doing it yourself then fixing your original gate would be cheaper, but hours can add up quickly in a bodyshop.
If you pay someone $800 hard earned dollars just to piddle-fart around with your tailgate to get rust off it please post your address. The Man-Club would like to come pick up your Man-Card.

See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #19
Joemomma1

Thats not what he said. While I would not pay that you could pay that to get one straight. I've been fortunate but others may not have the same luck. Questioning someones masculinity based on that alone is pretty ignorant. If money is going to be a constant issue, restoring a truck is not something you should be getting into.
Posted via Mobile Device
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #20
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
If you pay someone $800 hard earned dollars just to piddle-fart around with your tailgate to get rust off it please post your address. The Man-Club would like to come pick up your Man-Card.

I wouldn't pay that myself either, but that's only because I went to tech and learned how, and now that's what I do at work everyday- metal/body/paintwork. There are many in the hobby that do not have the skills or know-how to repair body panels themselves so they pay someone else to do it. No shame in that. I don't have the tools or know-how to do proper machine work to rebuild an engine block so I pay someone to do that for me. I don't hide in shame because someone else machined my engine block for me. We all have areas that we are lacking the tools, skill, or know-how. Just because you have to hand over cash to someone who can do the job that you can't do yourself doesn't make you less of a man, or truck enthusiast.

Also, GOOD metal/body/paintwork is going to cost a lot. It pays the customer to start with the best metal possible. I have done two truck restorations that were done by family for sentimental reasons, and starting with a straight/rust free truck in either situation would have easily saved enough to buy the replacement straight/rust free truck.

I don't give out personal information on the internet, and unfortunately for you and your Man Club, I don't have a Man Card anyways. At 25, I'm still in the Young Man Club.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
FetchMeAPepsi

You two read WAY too much into that.

To clarify - $800 bucks is a lot of money and if you fell into it then fine, but if you worked for it then pull on your big-boy pants. You can spend less than that on tools and *learn*, which is immensely more rewarding. Heck, for that kinda dough you can buy a junkyard tailgate and the tools both then practice till you get it right.

IDK, maybe I'm just a hands on kinda guy. Some people would rather pay for a restoration then brag about what a good job they did writing the check.
See My Build - Cecilia!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #22
theastronaut

I'm the kind that wants to learn and do everything myself too. I'm just saying that $800 for a tailgate isn't a lot when you're paying someone to fix up an old one that needs a lot of hours. $800 for a body panel isn't all that crazy- a new GM brand 2012 Silverado tailgate is around $500 going by gmpartsdirect.com, so why wouldn't a very rare brand new 50 year old tailgate be worth $300 more than a common part that every dealer can get? With today's inflation $800 doesn't go as far as it used to and people are adjusting prices accordingly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #23
oem4me

Apparently this business of piddlefarting is quite lucrative. What I do pays well too, but it took years to learn/perfect my craft. I'm gonna check and see if I can find a set of PF-ing DVD's or something.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:24 AM   #24
FetchMeAPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
I'm the kind that wants to learn and do everything myself too. I'm just saying that $800 for a tailgate isn't a lot when you're paying someone to fix up an old one that needs a lot of hours. $800 for a body panel isn't all that crazy- a new GM brand 2012 Silverado tailgate is around $500 going by gmpartsdirect.com, so why wouldn't a very rare brand new 50 year old tailgate be worth $300 more than a common part that every dealer can get? With today's inflation $800 doesn't go as far as it used to and people are adjusting prices accordingly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Again, that's assuming you're paying someone for the work, in which case you wouldn't be buying a tailgate anyway. You'd just pay someone with a piddle-farting degree to buy it for you (for $1200 ha ha, gotta pay off that student loan ya know!).

If you're going to put out the $800 bucks anyway, why not learn something useful? At least you're getting kissed this way.

Why am I having to defend the man's creed of doing stuff yourself vs overpaying for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
Apparently this business of piddlefarting is quite lucrative. What I do pays well too, but it took years to learn/perfect my craft. I'm gonna check and see if I can find a set of PF-ing DVD's or something.
ROFL! That got laughing enough to make the wife ask what I was doing. Send me a link when ya find 'em. Or we can team up and just make PF-ing dvds and sell them for $800 a copy. Right guy might come along, ya never know!
See My Build - Cecilia!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #25
Joemomma1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
You two read WAY too much into that.

To clarify - $800 bucks is a lot of money and if you fell into it then fine, but if you worked for it then pull on your big-boy pants. You can spend less than that on tools and *learn*, which is immensely more rewarding. Heck, for that kinda dough you can buy a junkyard tailgate and the tools both then practice till you get it right.

IDK, maybe I'm just a hands on kinda guy. Some people would rather pay for a restoration then brag about what a good job they did writing the check.
You are definitely pig headed. I, like most I would assume, read everything at face value. I really don't know how else you are supposed to take that. Regardless of how anyone has gotten their income and what they choose to do with it is not any of your business. I am speaking from experience and have paid my fair share of the "stupid tax". It seems to me your trying to get into a pissing match with anyone who disagrees with you. I am here to learn from others and contribute as much as I can. I hope your ignorance will fade and you see that what makes someone a "big-boy" is your own opinion. You must be the type of guy that goes around to other trucks and tries to point out things you don't like and fault others for you not liking it, rather than see what someone is trying to accomplish. Good luck with your projects.
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote